Nevada

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Nevada

Postby DuckTales253 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:03 am

I work at an elementary school, and was interested in what the kids were studying last week:

nevada.jpg
nevada.jpg (110.95 KiB) Viewed 309 times

I noticed that it shows gold and copper, but (as usual) silver gets no love! And Nevada is even the Silver State!
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Nevada

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:39 am

The Comstock Lode is depleted. That was the reason why Nevada's nickname is the Silver State, from way back in the 1860s.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Doctor Steuss » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:02 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:The Comstock Lode is depleted. That was the reason why Nevada's nickname is the Silver State, from way back in the 1860s.

The Comstock Lode may be depleted (and the reason for the nickname), but Nevada still kicks out a fair amount of silver each year. The (modern) peak was probably 1997 (with almost 27 million ounces), but 7 million ounces in 2010 seems at least somewhat respectable: http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/dox/mm/mm10.pdf

I can't find where it stood in comparison to other states in 2010, but in 2006 it was 2nd in the nation for silver production (right behind Alaska): http://minerals.er.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/silvemcs07.pdf
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 97guns » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:18 pm

there is still alot of silver in the state from what i hear, both reno and carson city are mecca's for coin stores. theres a good 10 in reno and at least 8 that i know of in carson. my favorate shops are all in nevada.
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:23 pm

Took me a bit to find (I couldn’t remember the show’s name), but here’s a Modern Marvels episode on silver mining that talks a bit about the Rochester Mine in Nevada. It starts covering the Rochester Mine at about 31:00.

"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AlexTG » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:00 pm

[quote="Doctor Steuss"]Took me a bit to find (I couldn’t remember the show’s name), but here’s a Modern Marvels episode on silver mining that talks a bit about the Rochester Mine in Nevada. It starts covering the Rochester Mine at about 31:00.

Whatever I was doing, it just got interrupted.
AlexTG
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:04 pm

Whatever I was doing, it just got interrupted.

Truer words have never been spoken (typed)....+1 :)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby CU Baker » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:05 pm

Great vidio, thanks
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals