To clean or not to clean.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

To clean or not to clean.

Postby Bullion Buzzard » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:55 am

Everyone knows good ole vinegar and a little salt will clean up those coppers with no effort at all, but should you?
Bullion Buzzard

Re: To clean or not to clean.

Postby Investin Cents » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:42 am

Bullion cents - yes.
Numismatic (very old, rare, etc.) - definitely NO!

IMHO
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - JFK - 1962

Current book: American Values - RFK Jr.; Favorite website (other than Realcent): Zerohedge.com; Favorite metals in order: Ag, Au, Pt, CuZn, CuZnSn, Cu, Ni, Al, CuNi and of course Pb encased in Cu [in various forms and sizes :)]
Investin Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby penny pretty » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:50 pm

I only clean to read the date, and very carefully.if you have a date worth selling, dealears can see a cleaned coin a mile away.
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby robroy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:36 pm

penny pretty wrote:I only clean to read the date, and very carefully.if you have a date worth selling, dealears can see a cleaned coin a mile away.

agreed - in my searching I have come across a lot of coins that I probably should have cleaned just to see what the year was but didn't. Maybe I will in the future but was in done and gone is gone for good. I'm not going back to try and clean anything that I have passed on already.

However, what is the opinion of wheat coins that you cannot make out the date because of dirt, grime or pitting????
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:00 am

Vinegar and salt eat the the metal...which is bad.

To get rid of the grime without etching the metal, go with the old tried and true mechanic's method of soaking greasy metal in mineral spirits (paint thinner). I've used this on a lot of old dimes that wanted to stick together or were unnaturally gunked up, and it does a great job of dissolving the gunk without affecting the patina of the coin. A parts washer in the garage would be ideal, but for small volume people a capped mason jar full of mineral spirits will work well indoors. If the gunk is especially thick and the coin is worth the effort, putting the jar in a 150F oven for a few hours will help even more.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silverhedgehog » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:23 pm

I only clean the ugly abes with CLR. The problem I have found is that a year later they are getting ugly again. My coin dealer informed me that the oil on the coins gathered from passing through hands in use protects the coins. In the past I would reroll the cleaned coins and now am considering adding a bit
of very light oil or rust preventative to a large jar and shaking them a bit. I'll have a count on them so I will not need to run them through the counter again.
silverhedgehog
Penny Sorter Member

Postby atticus » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:41 pm

i've mentioned this idea of coating coins in a thin film of RemOil or similar silicon based gun oil etc. I'm still hoping someone will chime in on their thoughts.

in the interim, i've cleaned up a bunch of copper 82's and will start a test with the oil soon. will keep everyone posted once i work out the test details.
atticus
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:51 pm

An old trick for getting pocket watches running again was to hang them in a jar above some kerosine or diesel fuel for several days (weeks?). The fumes would "oil" the gears. Might be some way to make that idea useful.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tinhorn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:26 pm

silverhedgehog wrote:I only clean the ugly abes with CLR.

I have a bottle of CLR but it says not to use it on copper or brass. Any idea why?

atticus wrote:i've mentioned this idea of coating coins in a thin film of RemOil or similar silicon based gun oil etc. I'm still hoping someone will chime in on their thoughts.

I'm guessing some type of protectant is a good idea. I've powdered some carnauba wax and mixed it with drying/polishing media in a jewelry tumbler. I put a few of the treated coins outside in the salty air along with some untreated coins, and there was an obvious difference in the two groups after about a week or week and a half. (You oughta see the waxed pennies slipping through the Ryedale!)
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverhedgehog » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:05 am

Wow! I never read the label on CLR. I soak them for about 5 minutes and rinse them very well. It works quick and I recycle the CLR to use over and over again, adding a little fresh to it when it gets low. I am looking into a water based corrosion inhibitor that drys to a light film. All corrosion inhibitors or rust preventatives generally have a duration of time that they protect for. A light oil may still be the best choice.
silverhedgehog
Penny Sorter Member

Postby getdong » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:27 am

I generally don't like to clean my pennies but if a penny is heavily corroded with that green junk I normally just throw it back in with my regular pocket change and spend it. Don't want it messing with my other coins.
getdong
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Bullion Buzzard » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:18 am

Engineer wrote:Vinegar and salt eat the the metal...which is bad.

To get rid of the grime without etching the metal, go with the old tried and true mechanic's method of soaking greasy metal in mineral spirits (paint thinner). I've used this on a lot of old dimes that wanted to stick together or were unnaturally gunked up, and it does a great job of dissolving the gunk without affecting the patina of the coin. A parts washer in the garage would be ideal, but for small volume people a capped mason jar full of mineral spirits will work well indoors. If the gunk is especially thick and the coin is worth the effort, putting the jar in a 150F oven for a few hours will help even more.

A sure way to stop any metal from being worn is a quick dunk in the vinny bath( like 5 seconds) and rinse with water.
Bullion Buzzard

Postby knibloe » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:19 am

tinhorn wrote:
silverhedgehog wrote:I only clean the ugly abes with CLR.

I have a bottle of CLR but it says not to use it on copper or brass. Any idea why?

atticus wrote:i've mentioned this idea of coating coins in a thin film of RemOil or similar silicon based gun oil etc. I'm still hoping someone will chime in on their thoughts.

If I am correct, the CLR contains a strong acid for dissolving lime scale. Strong acids are murder on soft metals like brass.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:44 am

Image + Image = Image
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rosco » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:44 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Image + Image = Image

BullXXX
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:31 pm

I never clean coins. I have heard acetone will get some gunk off coins without them being regarded as "cleaned".
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby penny pretty » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:56 pm

today I just tried soaking some of my BU coppers with a few blemishes in lemon juice. left em in only a few hours and the difference is great!seems to get off the grime without affecting color.
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:44 am

Rosco wrote:

BullXXX

Don't doubt the powers of Doc Rodebaugh. I've heard he can also turn water into whiskey. :o
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:57 am

I have tried CLR and it does not work on copper. I soak them in acetic acid for 2-3 days and they come out like new.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing