Bullion vs. MS-65 Morgans

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bullion vs. MS-65 Morgans

Postby silverflake » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:42 pm

OK, I now have a foundation stack of silver I have been stacking since 1993 on a small budget. That is an established fact

NOW, I see MS-65 Morgans (generic date) are going for $170-200 on ebay and at some of the online dealers.

ARE MS-65 MORGANS A GOOD PLACE TO PUT MY MONEY NOW HOPING FOR A BIGGER POP IN THE HOPEFULLY NEAR FUTURE OR DO I JUST CONTINUE MAXIMIZING SILVER EXPOSURE BY PUTTING THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY TOWARD, SAY ASE's or 90% Ag?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Bullion vs. MS-65 Morgans

Postby barrytrot » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:45 pm

If silver were worth $67 per ounce (double) does anyone thing MS65 Generic Morgans would be worth $340 to $400 each?

If not, then silver is the better bang for the buck if you believe silver is going to increase dramatically.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silverflake » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:50 pm

barrytrot, good point, and it's that point that is pulling me. But, if you look back at the last silver mania (and I don't have the stats in front of me) back 1979-1980, silver went wild but UNC Morgans went through the roof (they didn't have grading services then). It kind of reminds me of some of the gold pundits who say that when gold takes off, the mining stocks will take off for a higher percentage gain.

I guess what I am getting at is, I am baseline satisfied knowing the 'stack' of silver I have right now. I am kind of looking for a vehicle (that is tangible and not a stock or ETF) that might be a little turbo charged once the flood gates let loose so I can actually sell it for a bigger profit.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:00 pm

It helps to think of numismatic coins as two separate things. The numismatic value is like investing in bonds, while the silver content is more like stocks.

If you want slow, steady, predictable growth, go for coins with a high numismatic to bullion ratio.
If you want quick gains (and losses), go with straight bullion.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Engineer wrote:It helps to think of numismatic coins as two separate things. The numismatic value is like investing in bonds, while the silver content is more like stocks.

If you want slow, steady, predictable growth, go for coins with a high numismatic to bullion ratio.
If you want quick gains (and losses), go with straight bullion.

Post of the Day :)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Engineer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:01 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:
Engineer wrote:Post of the Day :)

Thanks Doc. 8-)
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:18 am

I have said this before but I would rather own 50 Morgan dollars worth $30.00 each than one Morgan dollar worth $1500.00
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby dan53 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:14 am

barrytrot wrote:If silver were worth $67 per ounce (double) does anyone thing MS65 Generic Morgans would be worth $340 to $400 each?

If not, then silver is the better bang for the buck if you believe silver is going to increase dramatically.

All we need is the ability of foresight, then we all become geniuses. In reality, we are speculators relying on anecdotal evidence to navigate the pitfalls of the market.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:53 am

After 30+ years... 0
I understand why but, it's kind of getting like baseball cards these days.. What I should have done was taken my 25th set profit and turned it into a graded 70fs set. (I kick myself).. still looking for the right entry point.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypicker » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:45 pm

Perhaps you could compromise by collecting MS-63's. They're much cheaper than '65s and they're still bullion driven to a point.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Bullion and collectables are two very different markets. Silver bullion being a commodity is straight forward. There’s a large liquid market you can buy and sell at a given price any hour of the day.

Collectables (coins in this case) have their own market that is much more illiquid. Even if you buy Morgan MS-65 at below market price, you might be sitting on them for awhile before you find a buyer at the fair market value. Trends come and go in collector coins. Some coins get hot and others get cold. Even the coins at the top can lose value. Just ask the guy who took a bath selling at auction who had the highest graded buffalo nickel for its given year and mint mark. He bought several years earlier at a much higher price. :x

Everybody should do their homework before jumping into the collector coin game. Or pay tuition later for your education you get the hard way. And remember, buy the coins you appreciate because you might be stuck with them. :geek:
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:06 pm

Engineer wrote:It helps to think of numismatic coins as two separate things.

Indeed!

Engineer wrote: The numismatic value is like investing in bonds, while the silver content is more like stocks.

A bond is a debt that pays interest (often at a fixed rate) while a stock is ownership equity of a firm. Get that you're pointing out the differences but the terms are a little off. ;)

Engineer wrote: If you want slow, steady, predictable growth, go for coins with a high numismatic to bullion ratio.

Collector coins have trends all their own. You do better buying key dates, rare coins, and best of breed coins. There's still good housekeeping seal of approval that the value will grow though. :ugeek:

Engineer wrote: If you want quick gains (and losses), go with straight bullion.

You said it brother! :)

Overall you're making great points. Just the example was a little rusty. I.e. bonds vs stocks. The spirt of your post is very good though. Two very different markets.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:08 pm

exbingoaddict wrote:
Engineer wrote:It helps to think of numismatic coins as two separate things.

Indeed!

Engineer wrote: The numismatic value is like investing in bonds, while the silver content is more like stocks.

A bond is a debt that pays interest (often at a fixed rate) while a stock is ownership equity of a firm. Get that you're pointing out the differences but the terms are a little off. ;)

Engineer wrote: If you want slow, steady, predictable growth, go for coins with a high numismatic to bullion ratio.

Collector coins have trends all their own. You do better buying key dates, rare coins, and best of breed coins. There is no guarantee that key coins will appreciate and they may lose value. :ugeek:

Engineer wrote: If you want quick gains (and losses), go with straight bullion.

You said it brother! :)

Overall you're making great points. Just the example was a little rusty. I.e. bonds vs stocks. The spirt of your post is very good though. Two very different markets.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby silverflake » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:20 pm

This has quickly become a no-brainer. Bullion it is, bullion it will be. The stack will get higher, quicker. As usual, thanks to all. Do not bother putting any more evidence forth. I am convinced.

Realcenters rule!
Keep stacking!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals