Lakeland Coin Show notes/observations

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Lakeland Coin Show notes/observations

Postby agmoose » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:57 pm

So I spent a couple of hours at the coin show in Lakeland today.

A couple of things I noticed:

- 90% "junk" was consistently sold at 24x face. At the last show (FUN in Orlando) the price was all over the place from 20x to 25x (20x was spot at time). I only added $20 face in dimes & quarters, but was able to cherry pick and get some proof Roosevelts and Washingtons in there.
- ASE's were pretty consistent at $36 for new 2011 and 2012's.
- I found 1 table where generic rounds and bars were $1 over spot and I picked out three there.
- I collect SLQ's and coins of the same grade had crazy variations across the room, from table to table, etc. Anything not slabbed could be $28 at one table in VF condition and $70 at the next in the same condition. Some good note taking, conversation and bartering and I was able to pick up a couple of good deals, one an upgrade and two hole fillers.
- I saw quite a few kids - and that is GREAT. They had give aways for kids under 12, and I guess that helps.
- I overheard a few dealers grumbling about various things, people haggling over a couple bucks etc. Hint to those who have tables - do your grumbling in private - it turns folks away from your table when you sound like a sh*t head, griping out loud to the guy at the table next to you.

Overall - I stayed under my meager budget, filled some holes, added to the stacks of 90% and bullion and had a nice time. The show is ending tomorrow at 4 for anyone close enough to go.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Lakeland Coin Show notes/observations

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Deleted post
Last edited by Cu Penny Hoarder on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:54 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
agmoose wrote:So I spent a couple of hours at the coin show in Lakeland today.

- I overheard a few dealers grumbling about various things, people haggling over a couple bucks etc. Hint to those who have tables - do your grumbling in private - it turns folks away from your table when you sound like a sh*t head, griping out loud to the guy at the table next to you.

These days there are very few dealers out there with honesty/integrity. From my experience, most of these dealers at these shows do not care about the hobby of coin collecting (or young kids) anymore... they are selfish and are trying to make as much money as they can. They have major attitude too. They're always hoping some ill-informed sucker walks up to their table and buys their overpriced coins. God forbid if you try and sell anything to these guys... they are only willing to pay you 30-50% less than book value. This is how they earn their living, by scamming people.

Heck, most of them are still licking their wounds after the sports card market blew up. Didi you ever notice how many of these guys have baseball cards for sale -lol.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:27 pm

I noticed a lot of grumbling vendors at the last show I went to. To be honest I walked away from their tables when I heard this (and I have done business with them before). It seems to be more and more the norm as well. I found a few dealers that had great deals minus the attitude, and was glad to give them my business.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:05 am

I'd like to point out that there were probably 200 tables, and the grumbling only occurred at 4 that I heard. I did meet some very helpful and friendly dealers, and even seen one guy give a nice discount to a kid with his dad buying some mercury dimes for his collection, saying something along the lines of "we have to keep the kids interested to survive the future of this business" to the dad.

Overall - it was a good day and I won't let those few jerks ruin it for the rest of them.

Your point on selling to them is well noted though. Any selling I'd do, I'd just do here or on the bay to get closer to full value.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Heartkill » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:24 am

agmoose wrote:Your point on selling to them is well noted though. Any selling I'd do, I'd just do here or on the bay to get closer to full value.

This is unfortunately all too true. We had a big show last month in Perry, GA. Several dealers acted like they were doing me a favor offering me melt value for several MS70 PCGS slabbed Chinese Pandas... I sold them on eBay for $150 each :lol:
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals