question about half dollar rolls

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

question about half dollar rolls

Postby lance » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:29 am

I got some rolls from my bank yesterday and after i bought them they said i could not bring them back there because most of the people that want half dollars want them in the fed rolls and not the bank rolls...can anyone tell me the reasoning of this? Would i have a better chance finding silver in the fed rolls?
lance
Penny Collector Member

Re: question about half dollar rolls

Postby kidman232 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:01 pm

no you probably have better luck with customer wrapped rolls as opposed to federal rolls. but you should also not be dumping your half dollars back at the same bank you pick them up at.
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby Bluegill » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:42 pm

Rule # 1 - Never dump at the same bank branch you buy at.

Rule # 2 - Re-read rule # 1.

As far as which has a better chance at finding Ag, it depends. What may work better in one region may not work in another region. Be leary of people who give an answer as if it is the final definitive rule of the universe.

Everything will have an influence.

Coin velocity. Do you live in an area with lots of commerce, or a small sleepy town with few banks that move little coin.

Demographics. Do you live in a area with younger families who don't even know what Ag is or lots of older retirees with mason jars full of Walkers.

Number of institutions that have lobby coin counters in your area. The Ag that gets dumped in there will end up in Brinks or CWI rolls versus CWR at the tellers station.

My examples may be broad and extreme, but you get the point.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:10 pm

If I could add to Bluegill.......

Rule #3 Never mention the "S" word to the tellers. If you do, you've just added competition.....
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby lance » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:17 pm

I do know not to dump at the same bank i buy from...common sense for me...i guess i was just curious why the teller said "the collectors" prefer the fed rolls...so i took that as..dont bring them back here because then they would be bank rolled and the "collectors" who buy the half dollars wouldnt want those ones...i guess when she said collectors i took that as people looking for silver...but i was a lil shocked because i figured there wouldnt be any ag in fed wrapped rolls...unless im wrong
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby lance » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:01 pm

I just bought $300 loose from a credit union...only found 1 40...and then decided to try 5 fed rolls and found nothing...grrr...
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby fb101 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:18 pm

lance wrote:I just bought $300 loose from a credit union...only found 1 40...and then decided to try 5 fed rolls and found nothing...grrr...

Your sample size is too small.
Some people have been known to do 3600 rolls a month.

1st; you're late to the game, so be prepared to work a little harder for it.
2nd;Get used to getting skunked. It happens to everyone, some people a lot.
3rd;As HoardCopperByTheTon says, "If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more"
4th;If it were easy, more people would do it, and it would become difficult.
5th; You'll have to keep trying more and more to find out what works in your area. If you ask about your area in a general way, you may get some specific advice.
Last: Best of luck to you
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby lance » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Thanks for the advice...hopefully as time goes on i develop some new "techniques". I have a tenant i rent to and she works at a small fifth third bank...and i have spread the word to her about keeping her eyes open...i was also thinking of seeing if she would pay me in a boxs of halves since she has access to that...well see!
lance
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals