silver discovered and salvaged by Odyssey Marine Exploration

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

silver discovered and salvaged by Odyssey Marine Exploration

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:13 pm

"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: silver discovered and salvaged by Odyssey Marine Explora

Postby SilverEye » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:13 pm

I wonder how many salvage recovery operations happen in secret that no one ever hears about. For $500 million, I would certainly be tempted to high-tail it to a country with no extradition / property seizure treaty with Spain. I hear there are some very nice ones in tropical climates with understanding authorities and plenty of defensible private villas for sale.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby Neckro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:15 pm

And the salvage company has to foot the bill.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:16 pm

What happened to maritime law salvage rights?
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:34 pm

exactly... this is 100% not right.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Z00 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:41 pm

Of course I can't prove it, but I'll bet some of those "buckets" never made it into the inventory.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:19 pm

I believe I would have been like sorry, I'll take them back. Then I would have sailed back to the area of the sunken ship and dumped them on the sea floor before I would have let them have them! :D

Would it be to much for them to at least pay the 2.6 million out of the 500??

0.52% recovery fee doesn't seem to far out of line to me.
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby agmoose » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:42 pm

not right at all............and I could see it from my office window today before it left for Spain.............tsk tsk.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby jtlee321 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Don't those salvagers know not to transport that treasure by air? I would have tried to bring it back to Florida in a ship. But then that ship may have accidentally sank along the way.. ;)
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby John_doe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:15 pm

ouch. bet they dont make the mistake of telling about it next time. not even a finders fee. :shock:
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:38 pm

jtlee321 wrote:Don't those salvagers know not to transport that treasure by air? I would have tried to bring it back to Florida in a ship. But then that ship may have accidentally sank along the way.. ;)

hope they try to fly thru the Bermuda Triangle on the way back home. Three hundred year old revenge piracy.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby SilverEye » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:47 am

This has been gnawing at me all weekend.

A) How fricken short sighted and greedy of Spain. Spaniards should be ashamed of the incompetence their gov't. Imagine the recovery efforts that would be undertaken if Spain threw open its offer to the world and said Give us the actual treasure and we will pay you 50% of the market value. Or 25% or 10% or whatever. With a guarantee from a sovereign nation of so much riches, there could have been so very many priceless artifacts recovered from the depths. And now the only incentive is to steal it away in the night lest Spain theft it themselves through the courts. Sad.

B) Check my math. Article says "17 tonne" were recovered, which doesn't specify metric tons or troy tons or whatever that is, or if that includes other artifacts. But what the heck, punch into teh google "17 tonne in troy oz" and it spits out "17 tonne = 546 562.692 troy oz". If that's all silver bullion, at $35.50 / oz that's $19,402,975.60 in melt. Which puts their $500 million figure at a premium of about 25 times over spot. Or $887 for a 1 oz shipwreck silver coin. I would not pay that premium myself. Is that market for shipwreck silver?
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:35 am

I did think it would be ironic if Spain's planes went down over the ocean and it wasn't found
again for annother 200 years. :D I held off saying that for a few days just incase it did
happen, wouldn't want to draw attention in that event. ^_-

Of course next time someone finds it they'll know to keep quiet about it.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 1945v » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:41 am

I think one of the most progressive nations in turns of salvage rights is England with their "Treasure Act"

Any historical finds (typically metal detector finds) in the UK must be reported within 14 days, examined by a coroner and if deemed to be a treasure then sold to a museum for fair market price determined by an independent board of antiquities experts. If no museum shows an interest in the item, the treasure finder can keep his find.

http://detecting.org.uk/html/Metal_Dete ... e_Act.html
1945v
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Tourney64 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:09 pm

I believe the finder does get compensated in the UK.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Lung » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:50 pm

mbailey1234 wrote:I believe I would have been like sorry, I'll take them back. Then I would have sailed back to the area of the sunken ship and dumped them on the sea floor before I would have let them have them! :D

Would it be to much for them to at least pay the 2.6 million out of the 500??

0.52% recovery fee doesn't seem to far out of line to me.

I am sure those Deep sea recovery experts got paid aka taking a big slice of undisclosed findings. You have to believe when that gold is coming up they're in the know of government treaties, this ain't their first rodeo. :lol:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Cu Lung
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 1945v » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:22 pm

Tourney64 wrote:I believe the finder does get compensated in the UK.

You are correct. The finder gets fair market value price from the museum who buys the find or keeps the find.

A recent Anglo-Saxon treasure find brought 2 million dollars to the finder.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/sep/2 ... l-detector
1945v
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SilverEye » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:17 am

1945v wrote:
Tourney64 wrote:I believe the finder does get compensated in the UK.

You are correct. The finder gets fair market value price from the museum who buys the find or keeps the find.

A recent Anglo-Saxon treasure find brought 2 million dollars to the finder.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/sep/2 ... l-detector

And the British people are so much the better for having these antiquities held in a museum for all to enjoy. A rich part of their heritage is being preserved with a clear conscience for fair value paid.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals