All you have to do is ask...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

All you have to do is ask...

Postby Franco American » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:08 pm

I was dumping a box of nickels at a branch of my bank I do not usually go to. The teller took the box and handed me my hundred bucks. I saw he had some silver looking change in his change tray. I asked him about the quarters in the tray and he said they were Canadian. I asked him if I could look at them and he said sure. Unfortunately, none of them were silver. He then says to me - are you looking for silver? I said yes and he hands me a silver Roosie (46S). I ask him if I can buy it and he says sure. I hand him a buck and I get the silver and 90 cents in normal change. He says to me - no one asked me about silver before you so I have just let it sitting here waiting for someone to ask for silver. I guess I will have to start asking...
Franco American
Penny Pincher Member

Re: All you have to do is ask...

Postby nero12345 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:20 pm

jesh is he a nice guy or a dumbass? I buy silver from tellers all the time. they keep their eye out for it to sell me. why didn't he take it himself?
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:27 pm

I vote Nice guy.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Franco American » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:31 pm

He was a younger guy - seemed friendly enough. I did not ask him why he didn't take it. I assume he doesn't collect it or else he doesn't know how to sell it for more...
Franco American
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:13 pm

Might be handy to give him a list of what to look for. Could blow up on you, though, as he may start saving the good stuff for himself. Your call.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby doug » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:10 am

It may be the bank. One bank I visit has a rule against tellers receiving cash or coin. I ask about their checks and they have to go to a different branch than the one they work at for cash. The bank put the rule in affect to curb thievery.

Doug
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby corky569 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:06 am

I see it as this, we are natural silver hoarders. Bank tellers aren't, they are more concerned with college, making a commission, or going to lunch. Tell your average teller to take that dime to a lcs or pawn shop for two bucks, (or less) and they would think you were crazy. They don't think about saving them up, or their future value.
corky569
Penny Collector Member

Postby PMLurker » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Take the tellers coffee next time you visit.
PMLurker
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Treetop » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:39 pm

Maybe he felt bad and threw you a bone after he cleared out a few hundred in face of silver, including a tall stack of morgans and peace dollars at face.

Or maybe he thought, dang this guy really looks like he could use the 2 bucks, or a smile.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Franco American » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Well it made my day and I might just get him a coffee or Coke next time I visit
Franco American
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Pennybug » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:26 pm

corky569 wrote:I see it as this, we are natural silver hoarders. Bank tellers aren't, they are more concerned with college, making a commission, or going to lunch. Tell your average teller to take that dime to a lcs or pawn shop for two bucks, (or less) and they would think you were crazy. They don't think about saving them up, or their future value.

+1 that. It ultimately boils down to perspective and awareness as to the TRUE value of silver! 6 years ago... if you had handed me a silver half or a clad half... I would have given you a buck MAX for the two of them together. Why? Lack of awareness and alternative perspective. My lack of awareness would have been not knowing the difference between the two. My perspective on silver was that it wasn't worth anything TO ME, other than the .50 cents it said on the face of it. I had the mentality of the sheeple. If you remeber back... you were once like me too!

I had a woman at one of my old pick up banks (GOD I miss her!)... she knew EXACTLY what I was doing! She used to pull out silver for me all the time. I got to asking her about why she was doing that (we ended up having a conversation on it's value... YES... I KNOW... TMI). Anyhow... she basically boiled it down to saying that she didn't collect coins and I did. She liked the idea of helping me out because I was nice to her and she liked me... and so she did! She was always selling candy bars for her kids school fund raisers. I ALWAYS bought at least one... if not 2. She was always happy to see me for that reason... and I was always happy to see her becuse she usually had 2 or 3 coins for me. She did however pull out $500 in GOLD certificates for herself (so she was NOT ALL heart! :) )

I would guess if you asked the general population what the spot price of silver is right now... 90% of them would ask you what does spot price mean!!!! After you explain that to them... I would guess that 90% of them would NOT be within + or - $5 of the REAL spot price.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby twentybux » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:38 am

Rodebaugh wrote:I vote Nice guy.

+1 There are few of them left. :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JobIII » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:32 am

Banks in my home town actually prevent tellers from taking the coins. I've asked before because from time to time silver is sitting in their coin trays... So sad.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals