Painted ASE

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Painted ASE

Postby kwebb70 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:22 pm

Is there a good way to remove the paint from a painted ASE? Or should I not try it?
kwebb70
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Painted ASE

Postby justj2k78 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:50 pm

Soak it in nail polish remover and it should come right off.
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Yeah. Nail polish remover..... But.. why? Everyone knows what's under the paint. You will definitely not be improving the value with chemicals so.... Why?

I know I sound like a jerk but I'm sincerely interested.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby kwebb70 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:07 pm

It's pretty ugly. I bought it cheap so......
kwebb70
Penny Pincher Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:09 pm

kwebb70 wrote:It's pretty ugly. I bought it cheap so......

nuff said! :lol:
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby RxForPain » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:20 pm

I have used nail polish remover and a Q-Tip. You will be amazed how decent it will look after you are done.
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Treetop » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:28 am

rubbing alcohol works to
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SoFa » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:41 am

The nail polish remover should work great on the paint.

I have one that's painted but there's also a very think layer of what looks like epoxy. Acetone doesn't do anything to it.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby wagsthadog » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Hi there-

maybe bake it in the oven on a cookie sheet to try to melt the paint? Then drop it in ice cold water to crack it off?

I tried this with a 1909 wheat one time, it helped a little.

wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:44 pm

Pure Acetone generally works (usually in nail polish remover, but some of the more "environmentally friendly" versions don't have it, or much of it. Goof-off works even better. (I think that's the name.)

If you've got a true epoxy, and you can't get it to react to the acetone, of things that won't kill you too easy, a high concentration of hydrogen peroxide (~50%, chemical grade, but don't mess with it if you don't know what you're doing - it'll eat right through you), will destroy the organic crosslinks without doing anything to the silver.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby baggerman » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:39 pm

The last one I did I tried boiling it in water and the paint came right off.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:53 pm

Jees, you guys have me considering doing this. I always thought, its still an ASE under there, who cares? But you guys have me really thinking about it... dangit! :?

:lol:
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:01 am

Quick Guys give Me several so I can try all this info out :lol:

:o fortunately have not been offered one cheep enough to know what I would do 8-)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:53 am

I sent one in to melt I disliked the paint so much. Now I wish I had it to play with. Boiling it sounds like fun and least likely to damage the coin.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Engineer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:36 am

JadeDragon wrote:I sent one in to melt I disliked the paint so much. Now I wish I had it to play with. Boiling it sounds like fun and least likely to damage the coin.

Agreed, but boiling typically won't get the coin hot enough to soften an epoxy based paint. (If water or acetone won't soften it up, it is likely an epoxy).

Wags' suggestion to put the coin in the oven is a good one. Epoxy typically degrades above 325F, so that would be my starting point. Once you get the coin up to 325-350, you should be able to peel the paint off with a toothpick...but dunking it in cold water sounds like fun too! :lol:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:20 am

68Camaro wrote:Pure Acetone generally works (usually in nail polish remover, but some of the more "environmentally friendly" versions don't have it, or much of it. Goof-off works even better. (I think that's the name.)...

Yep, it was Goof-Off, which is a Xylene/Toluene mix. I've done this with at least a dozen different painted ASEs and it pulls it right off. Not saying that there isn't some supplier out there using an odd-ball paint that doesn't dissolve in this, but this was much more effective even than acetone on the ones I had.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby SoFa » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:44 am

Great info. I'm going to experiment a little. Thanks!
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby Treetop » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:10 am

oppps... It was actually acetone I used not alcohol.... My wife saw me open this for the new posts and corrected me....

It worked very well, with no more effort then pouring some into a container and letting the coins sit awhile, and rubbing them clean.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals