Silver Looking 1892 Columbian Expo Liberty so called dollars

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver Looking 1892 Columbian Expo Liberty so called dollars

Postby Pennysaved » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:21 pm

At an auction last week, I bought 2 coins that were in a picture frame; the back of the picture frame has a wax seal which to me says it is pretty old. Luckily, all the coin people were at the showcase bidding up the coins but this was with the antique picture lots so I was able to buy it for $55.

Inside of the frame are 2 so-called dollar Liberty dollar coin commems.

On the obverse is lady liberty and on the reverse shows Columbus landing in America.

I researched it a little bit and saw that they made the coins out of Aluminum, White metal, and Bronze.

I probably have the Aluminum ones but am not 100% sure since I cannot take them out of the frame without breaking the wax seal.

I have looked all over online and can't find a 2 coin set that is in a frame and has a wax seal on the back.

Any recommendations on researching it more?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Silver Looking 1892 Columbian Expo Liberty so called dol

Postby Pennysaved » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:27 pm

This is the info I found on it but cannot find a 2 coin set that is framed with a wax seal on the back

http://www.so-calleddollars.com/Events/Worlds_Columbian_Expo.html

LIBERTY HEAD DOLLAR
Struck by Wilhelm Mayer, Stuttgart, Germany. Larger and smaller versions also struck, whose sizes preclude their listing here.

Photos courtesy of Tom Hoffman

Obv. Liberty head, in high or low relief, facing to l.; below, W.M.-- all within circle; stars outside around; below, 1892
Rev. Scene depicting Landing of Columbus; below, 1492--all within circle; outside, around Dedicated to the American People in Honor of the 400th Anniversary of the Discovery of America; below * United We Stand Divided We Fall *

HK-220 Bronze. 35mm. Eglit 51A.
HK-220a Bronze. Low relief.
HK-221 Gilt. Eglit 51.
HK-222 Aluminum. Proof and Business Strike. Eglit 51.
HK-222a Aluminum. Low relief.
HK-222b White Metal.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:22 pm

very interesting.

the museum of science and industry is a place i grew up going to as a kid. its in one of the few buildings which remain from that exposition. I would take some pics and write to them. Its a very wide-ranging museum and someone there would probably know something. if you are ever in chicago, i highly recommend it.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennysaved » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks that is a good idea.

The seal says "Artifacts Limited" and has a crest
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:44 pm

I haven't emailed the museum yet

I did email coin world and they are going to have an article about my question with their answer :-)

Just heard back from them today :-)

Not sure of which issue it will be in.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals