Does anybody know of a coin shop paying 5x face for 90%?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Does anybody know of a coin shop paying 5x face for 90%?

Postby chris6084 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:37 pm

Another guy trying to rip people off

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/wan/2937597729.html
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Does anybody know of a coin shop paying 5x face for 90%?

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:53 pm

:lol:

"As soon as I get the number of rolls I need, I will no longer offer this amazing deal."
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby baggerman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:16 pm

everybody should just flag this amazing deal
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:28 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of sending him on wild goose chases...for several days.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tractorman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:38 pm

Engineer wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of sending him on wild goose chases...for several days.

+1 ... "My grandma has lots of rolls, she was talking about selling granpa's old collection last weekend. I'll have to ask her exactly how many she has."

I seriously enjoy punking-out the slimy ones ... to a fault it would seem.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby chris6084 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:11 pm

I was thinking about sending him an offer to buy everything he has for 50% more than he is paying other people for their coins. I mean WOW, I would pay 50% more than his amazing offer...how could he refuse? :lol:
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby chris6084 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:14 pm

tractorman wrote:
Engineer wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of sending him on wild goose chases...for several days.

+1 ... "My grandma has lots of rolls, she was talking about selling granpa's old collection last weekend. I'll have to ask her exactly how many she has."

I seriously enjoy punking-out the slimy ones ... to a fault it would seem.

Hmmm.... have him meet you 50+ miles away for 20 rolls of silver quarters only to be a no show.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Later » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:32 pm

ya.
Cu Later
Penny Pincher Member

Postby baggerman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:50 pm

I thought about the same thing but I am sure when my out of state number came up that would be the end of the game. I would have no issue with having him drive 50-100 miles and nobody be there. :lol:
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:55 pm

There is a reality show in this ...

15 years ago I drove a car salesman nuts for lying to a friend-of-a-friend in her deal. My girlfriend at the time drove a Porsche and I took it to his dealership wearing some fancy pants, feigning interest in a new Mercedes. I wasted a great portion of a few of his Saturdays (his $$-making time) dealing with me. I took it to the point where, after about a month, I told him I was going to my bank to get him a cashier's check and would be right back. I really went home where a few of us waited for the call. When it came I put him on speaker-phone and a few of us, including his former victim, got to hear his high-speed come-apart. Karma served. All that was missing was the video cameras.

Maybe they could take some sharp fellas around to coin shops, pawn shops (etc.) with hidden cameras and bust out the shysters. That would be hilarious!! Give a reward to the honest ones, interview them, and totally publicize their location!
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Great ideas. I did a bit of a "sting operation" for my own curiosity a few months back. A very shady guy (just did time for wire fraud) around here runs a pawn shop/ used car lot and a while back he added a "we buy gold and silver" sign to his window. I was curious, so I took in a couple of random 70s Kennedys and one Franklin half. I said I just wondered if they were worth anything. He said the Kennedys weren't worth anything, but that he would give me ONE DOLLAR for the Franklin (this was a few months ago and we were around 24x face if I remember right). I hesitated and he hit me with this gem: "double your money!" I decided to walk. It just ticks me off that there are people like that out there.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:51 pm

Hawkeye wrote:runs a pawn shop/ used car lot and a while back he added a "we buy gold and silver" sign to his window.

Knowing nothing else ... he sounds like a great candidate for the show! :lol: Putting those 3 together just shouts ... SHYSTER!!!
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby bgretz1989 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:27 am

baggerman wrote:

I thought about the same thing but I am sure when my out of state number came up that would be the end of the game. I would have no issue with having him drive 50-100 miles and nobody be there. :lol:

use google voice! you can use any area code you would like and its free for calls and texts
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Postby jtlee321 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:43 am

Hawkeye wrote:Great ideas. I did a bit of a "sting operation" for my own curiosity a few months back. A very shady guy (just did time for wire fraud) around here runs a pawn shop/ used car lot and a while back he added a "we buy gold and silver" sign to his window. I was curious, so I took in a couple of random 70s Kennedys and one Franklin half. I said I just wondered if they were worth anything. He said the Kennedys weren't worth anything, but that he would give me ONE DOLLAR for the Franklin (this was a few months ago and we were around 24x face if I remember right). I hesitated and he hit me with this gem: "double your money!" I decided to walk. It just ticks me off that there are people like that out there.

Wow!!! You showed some control!! I would have made damn sure that everyone in the store heard "You will pay me a dollar for something worth twelve times that? You have to be Fu**ing kidding me!!!!!" I would not have been able to bite my tongue like that. I would go as far as making up a sign to wear that says "Your better off getting mugged then selling anything in here. At least with the mugger you know your getting robbed". :twisted:
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby My2Cents » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:45 am

jtlee321 wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:Great ideas. I did a bit of a "sting operation" for my own curiosity a few months back. A very shady guy (just did time for wire fraud) around here runs a pawn shop/ used car lot and a while back he added a "we buy gold and silver" sign to his window. I was curious, so I took in a couple of random 70s Kennedys and one Franklin half. I said I just wondered if they were worth anything. He said the Kennedys weren't worth anything, but that he would give me ONE DOLLAR for the Franklin (this was a few months ago and we were around 24x face if I remember right). I hesitated and he hit me with this gem: "double your money!" I decided to walk. It just ticks me off that there are people like that out there.

Wow!!! You showed some control!! I would have made damn sure that everyone in the store heard "You will pay me a dollar for something worth twelve times that? You have to be Fu**ing kidding me!!!!!" I would not have been able to bite my tongue like that. I would go as far as making up a sign to wear that says "Your better off getting mugged then selling anything in here. At least with the mugger you know your getting robbed". :twisted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - Zero" Voltaire
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:47 am

So have we trolled this guy or what?
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:06 am

jtlee321 wrote:

:lol:

I'm a pretty laid back guy- I was having trouble not laughing. I was in shock.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:37 am

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/wan/2945268474.html little education for the masses.

Great offer dude - but any coin shop will pay $5.70 for every silver quarter x 40 in a roll = $228 a roll all day every day, and you know this because that's where you sell the coins right after you buy them.
It's a free market and you can offer what you want but LYING is just bad karma. Your offer is less than 1/2 what a coin shop will offer, not double.

ORIGINAL POST
Want to buy your 1964 and older DIMES ROLLS and 1964 and older QUARTER ROLLS
Will pay $50 for each dime roll and $100 for each quarter roll.

check out craigslist, this is double what a coin store will offer you.

Please only email me if you have rolls. I will open and search each roll quickly to verify content before paying you CASH.

As soon as I get the number of rolls I need, I will no longer offer this
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby chris6084 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:24 am

JadeDragon wrote:http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/wan/2945268474.html little education for the masses.

Great offer dude - but any coin shop will pay $5.70 for every silver quarter x 40 in a roll = $228 a roll all day every day, and you know this because that's where you sell the coins right after you buy them.
It's a free market and you can offer what you want but LYING is just bad karma. Your offer is less than 1/2 what a coin shop will offer, not double.

ORIGINAL POST
Want to buy your 1964 and older DIMES ROLLS and 1964 and older QUARTER ROLLS
Will pay $50 for each dime roll and $100 for each quarter roll.

check out craigslist, this is double what a coin store will offer you.

Please only email me if you have rolls. I will open and search each roll quickly to verify content before paying you CASH.

As soon as I get the number of rolls I need, I will no longer offer this

Im glad you (or somebody) posted this. His lowball offer does not bother me much. He has a right to offer 10x face, and you could say people who don't do proper research and accept his offer can only blame themselves. I am bothered by his outright lie saying that he is paying double what coin shops pay when in fact coinshops double his offer. I am also bothered by his misleading comments that this is a great deal, and this offer wont last forever. If his posting was simply an offer to pay $100 for quarter rolls, I would have moved on and not thought twice about it.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:09 pm

Yup that's the two lies that bothered me so I put up the response ad.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals