price negotiating at a pawn shop???

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

price negotiating at a pawn shop???

Postby kidman232 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:40 pm

anyone have much luck with this. its a smaller pawn shop seems to mostly deal with like car systems, watches, guns etc etc. a few people were in there when i went in and only 1 worker. after about 10-15 mins i asked if they dealt with silver or gold coins and he pointed me over to the watch case and it had a few coins in it. 1oz george brett silver round, 1 silver eagle, and a liberty round. the liberty round and brett were $40 each, the painted silver eagle was $45, but they had a 1/10th oz gold krugerand for $180. i didnt think the krugerand was priced horribly, and if i could talk him down a bit, it could be a good buy.

like i said though, it was kind of busy and most in there were the 18-21 yr old wanna be gangster type so i didnt have a chance to try to haggle, but has anyone had much luck talking down coins at a pawn shop before?
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Re: price negotiating at a pawn shop???

Postby agmoose » Tue May 01, 2012 5:45 pm

The worst that could happen is he says no. I always try to negotiate in pawn shops, flea markets, etc. I'd show him $160 cash on the Krug and see what happens, you may get him to meet in the middle at 170. Good luck.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby justoneguy » Tue May 01, 2012 6:43 pm

I always negotiate on any purchase.
pawn shops, craigslist, sears, home depot, etc.
if I can't get the price down, they will always throw in something extra.
kinda tough negotiating online, like here
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby John_doe » Tue May 01, 2012 6:45 pm

be careful on your krug's they have been caught debasing them recently.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Hades12 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Just ask you never know.

I find it is best to not insult them buy saying their price is to high, That is a quick turn off. I just say, I don't quite want it that bad, but I would pay XXX, most time we come to a deal real quick.

I also stop by the shop once every week or two weeks and talk a bit. Pull computer repair for one of them also.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby jtlee321 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:07 pm

I always negotiate. Never pay "Sticker Price". It's as true with Pawn Shops as it is with car dealers. In fact, recently I scored about $10.00 FV in silver dimes and around 35 silver Philippines 20 Centavos which are 75% silver and were minted in the United States. I paid right around 80% of melt for them. They were asking just below melt on the dimes and about 15% below melt on the 20 Centavos. I offered them a price that I figured would be a starting point on my offering and the lady said "OK". So you just never know. Don't low ball them by offering half of what they are asking, but make an educated guess at what they paid and add a little mark up from there. If they are making money then they will be happy to sell it. It all depends on how much they bought the items for. So offer away.
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby tractorman » Tue May 01, 2012 11:58 pm

+1 You need to know what they are paying before you go in to buy. An anonymous phone call beforehand never fails. "My grandfather left me a bunch of stuff labeled silver and gold ... what do you pay?" :lol: Most money changers think they deserve at least a 25% profit (obviously they will get more if they can), just for sitting behind their counter, but that doesn't mean YOU have to pay it. If they are ridiculous, make fun of them in front of other customers, that's what I do, any time I can. :D
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby m21221 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:38 pm

I just picked up two 2001 Silver Eagles and a new Coleman 414 dual fuel camping stove for $110 out the door. The pawn shop wanted $35 a piece for the Eagles and $69 for the stove. Those stoves new are $130 on Amazon and used like new sell for around $70 on the Bay. I knew the pawn shop had these items and went in with a price in mind and they bit. Always negotiate or you are leaving money on the table.
m21221
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals