Storage options

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Storage options

Postby philadelphiafan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:31 pm

I have three ideas of how I want to store my copper pennies now that they are beginning to add up. :D
    1. Store them in small buckets/ coffee containers
      2. Roll them
        3. Put them in ziplock bags in set amounts
      philadelphiafan

Re: Storage options

Postby BamaJoe » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:17 pm

I think it would depend on the amount that you plan on having.

I'm a small time copper guy with just around $1300 in copper. Mine are rolled and put back in the bank boxes. Now if you are looking are doing the huge volume some of the folks here do then you might want to look at buckets or something along that line.
      If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
      BamaJoe
      1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby John_doe » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:33 pm

I have several different methods. trash cans, canvas bags, and just putting them back in the boxes and taping it shut.
      Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
      John_doe
      Post Hoarder

Postby BCD11 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:40 pm

I run $25 worth of copper through two counters and then store them in The Brinks boxes. All uniform shape makes for great storage.
      BCD11
      Penny Sorter Member

Postby Cent1225 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:39 pm

Back into heavy plastic bags from the bank, a couple of descicant bags inside(like the ones inside of pepperoni) then remove the air and tape them up tight. You can stack these as well as boxes especially if you cris-cross the bags and overlap them. No cost for the bags and no time into rolling them. Also, no cardboard or paper to draw & hold moisture. They are easily moved(only 34 lbs each) and they stack well. Best method I can come up with for now.
      Cent1225
      Penny Collector Member

Postby slickeast » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:45 am

I use 2 1/2 gallon buckets. You can ask for them at the bakery at the grocery store. The ones that frosting comes in. Wash and dry, will hold about $115. They stack well and aren't too hard to move. Plus you can tuck them into closets,and other small places.
      You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
      slickeast
      Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby My2Cents » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:59 am

I store mine in the 5 gallon orange bucket you get at the Home Depot. The lids lock tight, and once shut, are securely fastened. I also use these same buckets for all of my reloading brass.
      "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - Zero" Voltaire
      My2Cents
      Penny Pincher Member

Postby PADFH » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:07 am

I'm also fairly new so I don't have a set storage plan right now. As Slickeast said about the 2.5G buckets, that's my plan. I'm likely going to part them out into ziplocks, $10 to a bag $100 to a bucket for easy counting and parting out if ever necessary.
      PADFH
      Penny Pincher Member

Postby MilesFox » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:38 am

I have about $275 in sorted copper pennies. I roll them back up and box them like they come from the bank. this way, they are easy to shelve, stack, and move around. I will be moving by the end of the month, so this will be easy for me to move them. At my new place, there is a full attic, and the penny boxes will fit nicely between the wall studs if i chose to hide them behind a piece of plywood or drywall secured to the wall.

I have my 1982's in a pickle jar, as i keep them separate, and then box them up once i have enough. I have not sorted my 82's but rather just roll them together and box them marked '1982'.

I have all my wheats and canadas in plastic tubes so i can go back and sort out dates. If i find any specific or unusual coins, i keep them in 1" zip baggies in a cigar box with my coin albums.
      MilesFox

Postby jacer333 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:33 pm

MilesFox wrote:I have about $275 in sorted copper pennies. I roll them back up and box them like they come from the bank. this way, they are easy to shelve, stack, and move around. I will be moving by the end of the month, so this will be easy for me to move them. At my new place, there is a full attic, and the penny boxes will fit nicely between the wall studs if i chose to hide them behind a piece of plywood or drywall secured to the wall.

I have my 1982's in a pickle jar, as i keep them separate, and then box them up once i have enough. I have not sorted my 82's but rather just roll them together and box them marked '1982'.

I have all my wheats and canadas in plastic tubes so i can go back and sort out dates. If i find any specific or unusual coins, i keep them in 1" zip baggies in a cigar box with my coin albums.

Please don't store your pennies in the attic, you are only asking for trouble there by stressing the structure. Move them to the lowest level of your house.
      1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
      jacer333
      Penny Hoarding Member

Postby penny pretty » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:47 pm

I just got to $500 FV. I roll them in preformed tubes($13 per 1000 amazon) put back in bank boxes, and store in milk crates. only put 8 boxes in each crate( could fit 12) due to weight, but they stack nicely.
      "Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
      penny pretty
      Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:08 pm

penny pretty wrote:I just got to $500 FV. I roll them in preformed tubes($13 per 1000 amazon) put back in bank boxes, and store in milk crates. only put 8 boxes in each crate( could fit 12) due to weight, but they stack nicely.

Why pay for preformed tubes? I roll my coppers by reusing customer wrappers from the customer wrapped rolls I pick up and I store the rolls in empty brinks boxes. It's a convenient storage solution and helps reduce waste.
      TwoAndAHalfCents
      1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby penny pretty » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:09 pm

preformed tubes roll quickly when you have a plastic counter to push them in. to each his or her own, but I prefer to take more time searching than rolling.
      "Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
      penny pretty
      Penny Hoarding Member

Postby db23 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:16 pm

My2Cents wrote:I store mine in the 5 gallon orange bucket you get at the Home Depot.

Any idea how much a 5 gallon bucket holds? Google search shows estimates all over the map.
      db23
      Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:22 pm

yep, $250 with the lid. Full Full.
      fasteddy
      Post Hoarder

Postby madcow » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:56 pm

I use metal ammunition cans ... 5.56mm cans hold about 6500 pennies, latch shut with an air tight seal, have a handle making them easy to carry and stack nicely.
      madcow

Postby getdong » Thu May 03, 2012 9:46 am

Unless you have professional rolling machine I think rolling is a huge waste of time. YOu have to factor your time as well as supplies you need to roll into any profit you plan to see by reselling your pennies or wating for a melt ban to be lifted. If you have time to sit around rolling thousands of pennies your time must not be worth much.

I personally use either oragne 5 gallon home depot buckets you can pick up for about $2 or my other method of choice is these heavier duty plastic bank bags meant to hold bank notes have a pretty strong seal at the top. without even measuring or paying any attention they almost always wind up right around 5 pounds. i forgot the company who makes the bags but its something like northern trust or something like that. i can give more details and order info if anyone is interested.
      getdong
      Penny Sorter Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu May 03, 2012 10:33 am

Cent1225 wrote:Back into heavy plastic bags from the bank, a couple of descicant bags inside(like the ones inside of pepperoni) then remove the air and tape them up tight. You can stack these as well as boxes especially if you cris-cross the bags and overlap them. No cost for the bags and no time into rolling them. Also, no cardboard or paper to draw & hold moisture. They are easily moved(only 34 lbs each) and they stack well. Best method I can come up with for now.

I agree. Nothing like FREE bags from the bank. Buckets were getting too hard to move. I just line them up down the side of the garage. I'd hate to be the person they fall on. :lol:
      "Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
      reddirtcoins
      1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby lance » Thu May 03, 2012 11:38 am

I put mine in big 14 gallon plastic bins....but ideally id like to have them all wrapped in rolls but its too late for that and also too much work
      lance
      Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing