1977 Mint Bag

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

1977 Mint Bag

Postby csb3tennessee » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:55 pm

Just wondering- I recently bought a Mint-sewn bag of 1977 - P cents. The bag was a light green in color and made of a material that resembles a tarp- not the usual white cotton material. I since have bought 2 more of these bags- again, all light green and not cotton. Anyone familiar with this, and if so, was 1977 the only year this was done? Thanks for any help!
csb3tennessee
Penny Pincher Member

Re: 1977 Mint Bag

Postby jldco » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:37 pm

I don't have an answer for you, but you've come to the right place to find it. Welcome!
jldco
Penny Pincher Member

Postby csb3tennessee » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:44 pm

jldco wrote:I don't have an answer for you, but you've come to the right place to find it. Welcome!

Thank you- I really wasn't sure if this was the place to ask this question. I thought it might be more appropriate on a numismatic forum, but thought I'd give it a try. It's weird- the material is like a synthetic tarp (not like the old canvas ones). Thanks again!
csb3tennessee
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:28 am

I have had a few 1977 bags and they were the normal canvas material. Is the bag sewn shut or is it crimped at the top? Is the bag printed like it came from the mint originally? Sometimes there are aftermarket bags which are not the original mint sewn bags. I have some original bags from the San Francisco mint that are greenish in color. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby csb3tennessee » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:23 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I have had a few 1977 bags and they were the normal canvas material. Is the bag sewn shut or is it crimped at the top? Is the bag printed like it came from the mint originally? Sometimes there are aftermarket bags which are not the original mint sewn bags. I have some original bags from the San Francisco mint that are greenish in color. :mrgreen:

The bags are sewn at the top, they have the printing on them just like the normal canvas bags. I also have some other 1977 bags that are canvas, so when I first saw this one , I was a little suspicious. But it is identical to all of my canvas bags with the exception that it is a light green color and the material is like the synthetic tarp that you find at Wal-Mart. I recently bought 2 more (both 1977-P)- the same type of bags. Just thought it was unusual. I guess it could be aftermarket- if so, they did a pretty good job with the printing- looks like the real McCoy. Thanks for your input!
csb3tennessee
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:37 am

I think it is probably original since I have some greenish ones from the SF mint. What is a mint sewn bag of 1977-P's going for nowadays? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby csb3tennessee » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:55 am

I've ranged anywhere from 103 to 130.00. May I ask your advice on a slightly different matter? I recently bought a bag on ebay - 1974-D. No big deal- until yesterday. The seller sold a similar bag the day before. Now bag #1 (another buyer) and bag #2 (mine) were bought by this seller on the same day from the same source. The seller notified me that he knows that the guy he bought both bags from also bought them from one source. Here's where it gets interesting: the buyer of bag #1 opened his and found it full of errors. I have not opened mine, but the buyer of bag #1 has contacted me wanting to know if I'd be interested in selling my bag. He posted info on his find on the following site:

http://www.cointalk.com/showthread.php? ... rerid=1338

I'm really uncertain what to do. I collect Mint-sewn bags on the side, but I don't know squat about errors. My main interest is pulling coppers out of rolls. So I'm in uncharted waters. Any suggestions? Thanks again!!
csb3tennessee
Penny Pincher Member

Postby PennyPauper » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:27 pm

Can you post a picture of the tarp like plastic bag? I'm very curious about these bags. A few weeks ago I was asked by a local dealer if I ever heard of this type of bag.He had a customer looking to unload a few of these but wasn't sure if they were real mint bags. The customer wanted at least $100 for each of them.After reading this I asked if him if the customer still would sell and was told he would. Anyone have info of what years these type of bags were used.

I looked at the cointalk thread which shows those errors,I'm no expert on errors,but there is nothing in those pictures which really standout as being worth big money.Who knows,it maybe something huge.I hope someone here with more knowledge will offer their opinion.What is he offering to buy the bag off of you?
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby decomputing » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:55 am

I wonder if those green bags indicate copper that should be recycled rather than released from the mint?
decomputing

Postby PennyPauper » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:23 am

decomputing wrote:I wonder if those green bags indicate copper that should be recycled rather than released from the mint?

That would be cool.But I think every coin nut would be on the lookout for those bags and we would likely see some huge premiums and a few fakes by now.
Unlikely it would have remained a secret for 30+ years.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyPauper » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:27 am

If you could buy some of these plastic mint bags from the 70's sight unseen for $100 each would you? The ones I was told about were white in color only,no mention of green.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby csb3tennessee » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:38 am

Sorry for the delay in responding- was having difficulty at my work computer logging on yesterday. Anyway, I'll attempt to get some pics up of these bags- I'm no computer geek, but my son-in-law knows how to do that. I have 3 of these bags, they look like the real deal, only difference in them from the regular white canvas is the material (plastic, tarp-like) and a light pea-green color. I'll post some pics soon.
csb3tennessee
Penny Pincher Member

Postby PennyPauper » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:10 am

That would be great,thanks.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby csb3tennessee » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:01 pm

csb3tennessee
Penny Pincher Member

Postby PennyPauper » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:31 pm

Thanks for the pix. Almost can see through the bag,like the flash is reflecting off the bright reds.Also notice they are sown up the sides as well.
Any other years reported on this type of bag?
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby csb3tennessee » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:35 pm

Only ones I have personally seen are the 3 that I have- all 1977-P. Sort of interesting..... (but your question was one reason I started this discussion- I was wondering the same thing).
csb3tennessee
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:23 am

csb3tennessee wrote:I'm really uncertain what to do. I collect Mint-sewn bags on the side, but I don't know squat about errors. My main interest is pulling coppers out of rolls. So I'm in uncharted waters. Any suggestions? Thanks again!!

When you have that many mint sewn bags and multiples of some dates you are no longer a collector.. you are a hoarder! :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Bag looks very funny to me. I would maybe open one and take a look....or if you can see through the bag with a bright light even better!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing