My first pawn shop hunt for coins - NONE for sale

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

My first pawn shop hunt for coins - NONE for sale

Postby aaa30040 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:45 am

I hit the three pawn shop within 10 miles of my house today for the first time ever. All three are local owned, mom and pop shops. All had some variety of a "we buy Gold/Silver" sign in the window. But none had any coins for sale.

All three spots said the owner keeps them and does not sell - but if you want guns/lawn mower/DVDs/tools, etc .........
buying wheat pennies at $0.03 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
buying copper pennies at $0.014 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
aaa30040
Penny Pincher Member

Re: My first pawn shop hunt for coins - NONE for sale

Postby theshoenlebens » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:25 pm

I went into the one that is close to me, WAY overpricd so I haven't been back in.
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby newton7 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Same here, I don’t bother with the Pawns as if they have coins, they are wayyyyyy overpriced. They all think they have the rarest of the coins out there and want way too much. They even tried to sell me a common IKE for the silver price of the 40%. I had some IKEs in my pocket from the bank and almost took them for a great profit but instead decided to do the right thing and educated them on the difference.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:55 pm

newton7 wrote:Same here, I don’t bother with the Pawns as if they have coins, they are wayyyyyy overpriced. They all think they have the rarest of the coins out there and want way too much. They even tried to sell me a common IKE for the silver price of the 40%. I had some IKEs in my pocket from the bank and almost took them for a great profit but instead decided to do the right thing and educated them on the difference.

With only ONE exception(brand new shop), the pawn shops around here all have astronomical prices and will absolutely gouge the crap out of you any chance they can get. My god, you would think that a slick Walker was treasure from the heavens. Great place to pick up $50 SUPER-CULL Morgans too. I know legit places do exist, I just don't know of any near me. It's bad. Worst part is the attitude that they give me when I ask about coins and call them out on their prices. They treat me like I am an idiot or a liar. Half of these guys are so full of BS that they don't even know it. That's nice of you to educate them on the Ikes, I don't think I would have been that nice at the shops around here.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:12 pm

Pawn shops in my area are horrific. they want to buy silver for 1/3-1/2 its value and sell it for nearly double its value.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:26 pm

I remember one of the local pawn shops here had some Japanese Yen coins in the case. $10 a pop for 100 yen coins (FOREX is around a dollar-ish), but $5 a pop for 500 yen coins (FOREX around $5.....and some change). Guess what I ended up buying?

Also, the bulk foreign coins is ridiculous. $1.25 for ONE COIN. And don't get me started on their "rolling price fluctuation policy" with silver items where they tack on 20% to "cover the rolling price of silver" just because they are too lazy to change the tags a/or price higher than normal.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Bluegill » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:57 pm

You folks are describing half the coin shops in my area... :(
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby m21221 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:16 pm

I guess I'm extremely lucky then, my local pawn shop sell me pre 65 silver coinage for about 5% under spot. Matter of fact he calls me when he gets it. Otherwise they ship it to the refiner. Win win.
m21221
Penny Sorter Member

Postby inflationhawk » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:19 pm

m21221 wrote:I guess I'm extremely lucky then, my local pawn shop sell me pre 65 silver coinage for about 5% under spot. Matter of fact he calls me when he gets it. Otherwise they ship it to the refiner. Win win.

You better keep that one close to the vest....your very lucky!
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:23 pm

These jokers have been watching too many Pawn shows on TV. They have a distorted sense of reality and just enough knowledge to be dangerous to themself and the public. Pity the unsuspecting public who come into their shop with silver coin, sterling flatware, diamonds and anything else with an intrinsic value.

Those buzzards sit quietly on their perch, salivating and waiting to pounce. "Oh yes, Ma'am. We'll pay you $1 for each of those silver dimes you have. Just think, too. Your (deceased) Husband's silver dollars are worth $8. Looks like you have well over $200 worth of coins here to sell. Just think of what you can do with that money!"

May they roast in Hell...and they will.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PADFH » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:13 pm

Hit or miss here. I've found one store that will sell 90% at spot when he has it. Another that has one single 4toz bar for $300. Several that dont sell. And one jewelry store that has a tray of ounce rounds and ASEs at spot. :). I like that place.
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Metals Mogul » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Same deal around here! :cry:
Selling CTU's for $140 SHIPPED w/ DC...PM me!
Metals Mogul
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals