Someones getting my copper....

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Someones getting my copper....

Postby Night Hawk » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:31 pm

I have a local store I stop at each morning and trade 10-15 rolls depending on what they have on hand, I've pulled some great old coins from those rolls and the checkers are more than happy to let me trade.
Starting about a week and a half ago the percentage of copper dropped from 24% to 5% overnight, then a couple of days later 0%......

Not one copper cent to be found, every roll is a mix of dates from 1982-2011. These are banked wrapped rolls so I have to wonder, Is the gov pulling copper? The company that wraps the coins? Or am I getting someone else's dump?

It's been very discouraging, today I go in and 8 out of the 10 rolls are solid 2012's :x :x :x

The only thing keeping me in copper is the boxs I've picked up at various banks, at least those are still giving me something, for now.....
Night Hawk
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Someones getting my copper....

Postby newton7 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:22 pm

I think you got someones dump. This can happen from time to time. The best thing to do is have many many sources. Banks, Credit Unions, friends, and family.

Branch out and try to tap new sources. You never know who has the coin laying around. I would love to hook up with someone on a vending route or owner of a batch of gum ball machines.

I have started avoiding boxes from certain banks because this time of year they are nothing but new pennies. Bags are the way to go.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:33 pm

newton7 wrote: Bags are the way to go.

AMEN BROTHER!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby scyther » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:42 pm

newton7 wrote:I think you got someones dump. This can happen from time to time. The best thing to do is have many many sources. Banks, Credit Unions, friends, and family.

Branch out and try to tap new sources. You never know who has the coin laying around. I would love to hook up with someone on a vending route or owner of a batch of gum ball machines.

I have started avoiding boxes from certain banks because this time of year they are nothing but new pennies. Bags are the way to go.

When you say "this time of year", how long does that typically last?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:42 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:

AMEN BROTHER!

Wouldn't you be more likely to get someone's dump pennies with a bag?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fb101 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:02 pm

every bag that doesn;t get picked up by one of us (like TD bags) goes to get rolled somewhere then come back into circ in rolls.
thats a dump.
fb101

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:03 pm

scyther wrote:
TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:

AMEN BROTHER!

Wouldn't you be more likely to get someone's dump pennies with a bag?

Some of the dumps........are the good kind...........plus no plastic/paper wrappers to mess with!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Madwest » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:07 pm

scyther wrote:Wouldn't you be more likely to get someone's dump pennies with a bag?

It could happen that you would get a zinc dump in bags, but it is not more likely.

If you find a source for vault bags of cents and you go a few consecutive pickups without finding a zinc dump, chances are that you'll never get one. If you find you are in dump stream, just move on.
Madwest
Penny Pincher Member

Postby newton7 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:03 pm

scyther wrote:
newton7 wrote:I think you got someones dump. This can happen from time to time. The best thing to do is have many many sources. Banks, Credit Unions, friends, and family.

When you say "this time of year", how long does that typically last?

Sometimes a few months and one time 6 months. I just unrolled the last of my 2011s last weekend. And now I just got two boxes of 12s I'll have to find a place to unload. Generally from February till summer but I have had them show up durning Halloween this last year. Bags are best if you can get them.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby pennypanner » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:04 am

Night Hawk wrote:I have a local store I stop at each morning and trade 10-15 rolls depending on what they have on hand, I've pulled some great old coins from those rolls and the checkers are more than happy to let me trade.
Starting about a week and a half ago the percentage of copper dropped from 24% to 5% overnight, then a couple of days later 0%......

Not one copper cent to be found, every roll is a mix of dates from 1982-2011. These are banked wrapped rolls so I have to wonder, Is the gov pulling copper? The company that wraps the coins? Or am I getting someone else's dump?

It's been very discouraging, today I go in and 8 out of the 10 rolls are solid 2012's :x :x :x

The only thing keeping me in copper is the boxs I've picked up at various banks, at least those are still giving me something, for now.....

Maybe this store gets it's pennies from the bank where you dump.
pennypanner

Postby Arnold Layne » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:11 pm

I`ve been getting screwed lately too . I got 4 boxes in a row of 2012`s so I thought I `d do something different and get 10 rolls from the teller .Result ? 58 coppers and no wheats out of 1000 pennies :x
Arnold Layne

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing