dental gold question

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

dental gold question

Postby GA-Silver » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:42 pm

A family member had some dental work done last week and presented yours truly with their old gold crown that to be replaced with a new one that isn't gold. My question is: What is the common KT of most dental gold?
GA-Silver
Penny Collector Member

Re: dental gold question

Postby RD5 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:05 pm

Quote from a dentist (rickeyg) on bogleheads.org, "There are many types of dental gold alloys. 18K sounds about right, although with dental gold karats is not used."

Reason for edit : Found a real quote from a dentist on another forum.
Coin Master Flex
RD5
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:25 pm

RD5 wrote:Quote from a dentist (rickeyg) on bogleheads.org, "There are many types of dental gold alloys. 18K sounds about right, although with dental gold karats is not used."

Reason for edit : Found a real quote from a dentist on another forum.

You looked too far for a real dentist :mrgreen:
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:32 pm

I purchased my alloys from the good folks at Jensen back in the day. Here is a link to their current alloys:

http://www.jensendental.com/alloy/chart ... chart.html
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:42 pm

Dental alloys come in 4 types. Each type has a diff set of workability, strengths, and nobility

1-high workability, low strength, high nobility (gold foils and small one surface cast inlays)
2-Good workabilty, little more strength, high nobility (inlays, onlays, some crowns)
3-fair workability, good strength, medium nobility (crowns, some bridges)
4-low workability, very strong, low nobility (bridges, removable appliance framework)

workability = malleable
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby GA-Silver » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. I say its safe to assume that most dental gold in in the 18 kt range....
GA-Silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby mflugher » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:14 pm

From my experience buying it, it usually acid tests a weak 18, so I assume its 16-17k in truth. I only pay 14k price for it because if I have to touch your grandmas old teeth you are gonna pay a little extra for it, especially if I have to chip old teeth off the metal. We only post 10/14/18/21/22/24 kt on our chart of gold prices, so if its not 18, then it must be 14 :D.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasTT » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:29 pm

Old stuff is 18k, but most of it is 16k.

Stay away from the white stuff, it is not gold.
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby GA-Silver » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:02 pm

Had a great-uncle who fought in the pacific during WW2. My dad said he once showed him a matchbox full of "Jap Gold Teeth" that he pried from the teeth of dead Japanese soldiers. It must have really brothered him because he drank himself into a early grave......
GA-Silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby Tourney64 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:12 pm

I had a mollar with a gold crown removed and i told the oral surgeon that I wanted the gold crown. He said it only had $1 of gold in it, which I found very surprising. I still want it and he said ok. Had the surgery on Thursday and he didn't give it to me. Now I'm pissed and feel he may not have been truthful with me.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby penny pretty » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:25 am

If it was not from a rap star, I would not trust it! :D
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:56 am

Tourney64 wrote:I had a mollar with a gold crown removed and i told the oral surgeon that I wanted the gold crown. He said it only had $1 of gold in it, which I found very surprising. I still want it and he said ok. Had the surgery on Thursday and he didn't give it to me. Now I'm pissed and feel he may not have been truthful with me.

In my experience, a molar crown can have $50-100 worth of gold depending on the size.
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Numis Pam » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:46 am

I just sold some dental gold for my mother in law... it was a small amount (4 or 5 pieces) but brought $261.00 I would go back to that Dentist and demand to have it returned, then check it out for yourself....

oops... forgot the quote... see below :oops:
Last edited by Numis Pam on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Numis Pam » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:49 am

Tourney64 wrote:I had a mollar with a gold crown removed and i told the oral surgeon that I wanted the gold crown. He said it only had $1 of gold in it, which I found very surprising. I still want it and he said ok. Had the surgery on Thursday and he didn't give it to me. Now I'm pissed and feel he may not have been truthful with me.

I just sold some dental gold for my mother in law... it was a small amount (4 or 5 pieces) but brought $261.00 I would go back to that Dentist and demand to have it returned, then check it out for yourself....
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals