Why do you sort pennies?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Why do you sort pennies?

Postby stateofmind » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:00 pm

Honestly, I used to sort just for the monetary element. But after realizing that lugging boxes and bags to and from the bank, and not getting enough volume, and not wanting to tie up so much money, I realized it wasn't worth it. Every once in a while I'll sort just to find wheaties or out of boredom; but, I'm not expecting to find anything significant or make any amount of money.
stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Numis Pam » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:42 am

csb3tennessee wrote:Several reasons I sort:
1. It's fun (and relaxing)
2. No downside as long as I can buy them for face
3. I enjoy looking for certain dates and errors

+1
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby sparechange » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:33 am

Payback for the children, as they will have to lug them to the bank to make a buck :D
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ZenOps » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:42 am

Because of the historical value of copper. Throughout most of history even in the electicity age, about 3 ounces of copper would at least buy a meal. Sure it was in the form of 9 1/3 ounce coins (pennies used to be much larger), but for a good two and a half centuries - it was considered fair trade value.

Now, would I expect to get a meal for 30 semi-modern (pre82) US copper pennies, 30 cents? Not while pennies still circulate. Would I expect to get a meal for 30 modern 10-cent euro pieces (3 Euros or 3.5 troy ounces of copper) absolutely yes.

So its all a matter of perspective. Was a $100 box of Canadian nickels really fair trade for 40 barrels of oil in 1970? Does it really matter, because that is what was considered equivalent trade at that period in time. You know, back before Nixon.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby InfleXion » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:09 pm

I sort pennies for the same reason I keep all my nickels. They have intrinsic value. Silver used to be face value too, and look what happened there. I think silver is better because it has a lot more value, but you can't argue with free. All you have to do is save the money denominated in these forms that you already have and one day it will be worth more than face due to inflation. Canada is discontinuing their pennies and nickels. I think those are a great play right now, copper only of course. Plus you can melt the coppers that are from foreign countries if you want. I have 34 lbs of Canadian coppers en route to me right now.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheba » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:11 pm

I have this recurring dream that some day, I'll open a roll of pennies and there will be a 1914D and/or a 1909svd. Also, I remember my Dad telling me many years ago that a 'penny saved is a penny earned'. I used to tell young kids in the school where I taught that if they saved enough pennies, they could buy a Corvette. Probably none of the 'old time' sayings have much value today ... but the excitement of opening a roll and looking for something special keeps me saving pennies. its one of the cheapest forms of recreation I know of, and the possible payback is as good or better then entering a lottery (I think) :)
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby americanzero » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:35 pm

you get to go to the bank, an hand them money for coin...its like buying something, shivvy? now you can go home and play with it all for a few hours. you pull the coppers out and hide em. then you can take the remnants back and get money for them. its like buying something without spending money because all your rejects get cashed back in. and, OCD.
americanzero

Postby atticus » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:55 pm

This probably happens to everyone who hand sorts for longer than 15 minutes at a time, but my mind begins to wander. After 35 minutes I start to wonder this same question, then by the end of the box I've inevitably stumbled on a coin, usually nothing earth-shattering, but, say, a blazing 1962P. I look at this, and think, this is 10 years older than I am, Who knows where it's been in the last 50 years, and I've probably just tucked away four or five from the same box that are in horrible shape. As I put it in the "Numi" jug, I think of the amount of coins I have passed over before this all started. That's why I'll keep doing this, as long as I get a smile per box.
atticus
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Sterling Silver » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:31 pm

I actually collect the dirty dimes that get mistaken as pennies. The Cu is just an added perk. :P
"I can tell your fancy, I can tell your plain.
You give something up for everything you gain.
Since every pleasures' got an edge of pain,
Pay for your ticket and don't complain." Bob Dylan
Sterling Silver
Penny Sorter Member

Postby My2Cents » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:09 pm

I do it for the simple fact that I don't have 10,000 lbs yet
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - Zero" Voltaire
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby atticus » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:20 pm

also i forgot to mention the oddball joy i get from taking cu out of circulation. one cent at a time.
atticus
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Rob72830 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:32 pm

First, I am looking for wheats and unc copper memorials for my coin collection. Second, the copper cents I hoard will give me a better rate of return than any savings account if the price of copper goes up. If it doesn't, I still will not have lost any money because each one of those babies are worth one cent, exactly what I paid for them and I can still use them for money.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby scyther » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:41 pm

atticus wrote:also i forgot to mention the oddball joy i get from taking cu out of circulation. one cent at a time.

Yeah, this for me as well. Eventually it's all going to be gone anyway, may as well go to me.

Also one of the very few ways normal people can actually profit from inflation.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby lance » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:06 am

Even though copper isnt a precious metal like silver or gold...im hoarding it hoping a copper cent is worth 5-10 cents each some day....also its fun searching never knowing what you will find...its relaxing also.
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:55 pm

I just like annoying bank tellers :lol:
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CU Baker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Because what I use to do all night takes all night to do now. I have extra time :oops:
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:57 pm

commoncents wrote:O.C.D.
O.C.D. O.C.D.
O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D.
O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D.
O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D. O.C.D.

Exponential O.C.D. is the worst...
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:46 pm

Hand sorted one box tonight. Gotta say it was a decent one too! Yielded about 30 percent coppers, 8 wheats and a small handful of Canadian coins :)
Picked this one up last week at a small town bank where I grew up. Nice!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ZenOps » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:45 pm

True enough, in tougher economic times - its therapeutic saving "good" money.

A nice solid piece of metal, even if just copper or nickel just feels good.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:55 pm

Rob72830 wrote:First, I am looking for wheats and unc copper memorials for my coin collection. Second, the copper cents I hoard will give me a better rate of return than any savings account if the price of copper goes up. If it doesn't, I still will not have lost any money because each one of those babies are worth one cent, exactly what I paid for them and I can still use them for money.

+1 for that
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby everything » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:16 pm

Technical degree, bored/broke, college degree, still bored/broke, bored with girls, but apparently still stupid... :lol:
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:41 pm

Because I ran out of nickels?
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ZenOps » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:26 am

Haha on nickels. I always ask for nickels first, if they don't have that many - thats when I will go for the pennies.

If they don't have pennies, I'll either leave and try another bank or try the huge lottery that is silver hunting dimes (although its way easier to just buy silver)
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby lance » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:04 am

It blows my mind the people who think they wont make money on sorting copper pennies....if we could melt down pennies right now we would double our money...and copper is low right now....wait til we go back to war...we will end up seeing a nickel for our pennies i truely believe.
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby Shifty51 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:09 pm

Because I have an addictive personality and pennies are cheaper than cocaine...
He who does not respect the penny is not worthy of the dollar
Shifty51
Penny Sorter Member

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing