good price for 14k wedding band?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

good price for 14k wedding band?

Postby lance » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:51 pm

$30 for size 12 or 13...good deal?
lance
Penny Collector Member

Re: good price for 14k wedding band?

Postby rsk1963 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:08 pm

depending on weight it might be an awesome deal (14K full melt should be around 29 per gram)
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby Robarons » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:46 pm

Thats an amazing deal- all rings tend to be 1 gram or more.

Mens jewelery tends to at least be 3 Grams if not alot more. I have a size 11 10k modest mesn wedding ring that is 5 grams.

Make sure its real! Seems awful cheap- their out there, but these screw you over places can give you $10 a gram and if the ring is 3 grams or more it makes you wonder
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby rsk1963 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:53 pm

Robarons wrote:Make sure its real! Seems awful cheap- their out there, but these screw you over places can give you $10 a gram and if the ring is 3 grams or more it makes you wonder

This cannot be overstated.
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby lance » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:56 pm

So heres the scoop! I got the ring from a guy who is hurtin on cash...the ring is big...probably a size 13 and its wide...got the ring for $30 and just weighed it and came up at 10grams! And it is stamped 14k....good deal ya?
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby stash » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:06 pm

You ripped him off.
stash

Postby lance » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:11 pm

stash wrote:You ripped him off.

Lol....he had it for sale on a local facebook page...he wanted $60...i said $20 he came back w $30
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:43 pm

I am all for getting a good deal but getting something for ten percent of its value? I would feel bad if I paid someone less than 50% of the value but thats just me. I guess the seller should also have the duty to do research to find the value, if he has a facebook (i hate facebook) he should have the computer skills to find the real value
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:42 pm

stonewallrabbitry wrote:I am all for getting a good deal but getting something for ten percent of its value? I would feel bad if I paid someone less than 50% of the value but thats just me.

+1
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby lance » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:59 pm

This is my first time buying scrap gold so i wasnt even sure if i was getting a good deal...plus like you said...he had the option to research gold...i was just suprised no one else commented on it on facebook or that he didnt take it to "we buy gold" place
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:25 pm

C'mon guys. Lance made an offer on something online. A WHOLE BUNCH of risk there.

It looks like Lance didn't even touch the item before he made an offer.

If someone called him up, he came out with his scale, loupe and acid tests; he inspected, weighed, tested the item and then offered the guy $30 - that would be a ripoff. In this case, Lance spotted a possible deal, made an offer, gambled and WON! I've gambled on items online and lost.

This isn't a ripoff. This is a gambler taking a shot and winning. What do we think he should do? Call the guy up and offer to give him an additional $120? C'mon.

NICE SCORE, lance. If you'd like to double your money - Let me know. ;)
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:29 pm

lance wrote:

Lol....he had it for sale on a local facebook page...he wanted $60...i said $20 he came back w $30

Offer, counter offer, rubber offer, deal.

Nothing wrong with this here.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:31 pm

Thogey wrote:
lance wrote:

Offer, counter offer, rubber offer, deal.

Nothing wrong with this here.

Yeah! That's what I meant. Brevity is the soul of wit.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby lance » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:42 pm

Thanks guys
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby OtusLotus » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:38 pm

I bought a 14k gold wedding band at a garage sale and paid $50..

Took it across the street and the BUY GOLD shop offered me $75... I said no thanks, and took it to my best friend who is jeweler, and I sold it to him for $150.

Everyone wants to make a buck... was it a great price.. hell yeah!... should you have paid him the $60, knowing that you were still going to make a killing... probably! Would I do the same thing if I was in that situation... yes!

If you do sell that ring... and make a killing, I would probably go back to the guy and give him a bone, a beer, and a thanks (you never know.. he might have more in his closet)
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:48 pm

You have the risk too that it's not 14k which is important in tis situation
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OtusLotus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:52 am

point taken... fug 'em!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby lance » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:14 pm

TXBullion wrote:You have the risk too that it's not 14k which is important in tis situation

Yah this is something i was stressing...wasting time and gas to drive and get it 15min away and have it end up being plated or something
lance
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals