What are you doing with your Candians in the sort?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

What are you doing with your Candians in the sort?

Postby goodcents » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:16 am

Since I'm a buyer of George VI's and early Queens I've gotta ask. Is everyone sorting them out and hoarding away? Do you sort the George's out and let the rest be or do you have a specific bucket all your copper CA's go into?

Some of you monster sorters must get a good supply coming in.

Being I'm closer to the border I'm still getting decent percentages of CA's in my sorts.

Also what's your thoughts on holding CA's for the long run?

Joe
goodcents
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: What are you doing with your Candians in the sort?

Postby pennypanner » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:19 am

I keep all of my copper Canadians. If I could find a nice album like a Dansco I'd try to fill it up. The Canadian pennies are a purer copper so someday they may be worth something.
pennypanner

Postby jacer333 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:29 am

I've kept all copper canucks since I started sorting, but since hearing the end of the canadian penny, I keep ALL canadian cents I come across. I'm in Nebraska, so I'm not sitting by the border but do still see a steady flow of them here.
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:35 am

jacer333 wrote:I've kept all copper canucks since I started sorting, but since hearing the end of the canadian penny, I keep ALL canadian cents I come across.

Same here. I am in NH so I get a pretty decent amount of Canadian cents. I keep the Georges in their own bin.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:15 pm

I'm gonna send mine to some dude in Michigan! :D
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby goodcents » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:12 pm

That's what I like to hear! Better hurry on those young Queens I'll be to capacity soon. Well about 50lbs away from where I want to sit on those currently.

As for the George VI's. Bring them on!

Joe
goodcents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:42 pm

pennypanner wrote:I keep all of my copper Canadians. If I could find a nice album like a Dansco I'd try to fill it up. The Canadian pennies are a purer copper so someday they may be worth something.

Dansco sells a blank cent album that should work for you.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheba » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:57 pm

I don't see too many Canadian and, it seems to me (no scientific proof here) that I'm finding less and less of them. I don't keep anything Canadian after 1996. I've got a plastic jar that once held mixed nuts :D. (30 ozs. of nuts) which is about half full of QE's ... beginning from when her penny began to be minted. Any of the Kings (only found a few of two different Kings) go in a different place. I'll probably keep the very little 'stash' of those and wait a while longer before getting rid of the QEs. Hand sorting doesn't find a lot of anything in my opinion :D
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:35 pm

Lighthouse makes the best album you can get it here http://colonialacres.com/products.php?view=25935&ref=546

And here is the one we have--
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:54 am

I keep all pre 1997 Canadians. I think I have a full CTU of them now.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby My2Cents » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:54 am

If the Ryedale put it in the 'keep' pile, it goes in a 5 gallon bucket. I don't try to sort em out... There's just too many copper cents to go through to hassle with.
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - Zero" Voltaire
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby penny pretty » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:42 am

I separate the 80- 96 from the pre 80 down to george.(different weights) now saving zincs, just because they are selling in volume due to the end of minting.
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:42 am

I don't see very many where I'm at. I just put them all in my misc coin bucket. Last year I think I got 2 whole rolls. Now that's got to make you envious.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:08 am

Fun fact is that the Canadian 1936 dot cent makes a 1909-S VDB look like small change.
Canadian “Dot Cent” Rarity Sold in New York by Heritage for $400K+

Posted By Heritage Auctions On January 4, 2010 @ 8:18 am In Auction News, Heritage Auction Galleries, Press Releases, World Coins | No Comments

UPDATE: Legendary 1936 Dot Cent–Finest of Three Known had been sold to an identified buyer for $402,500.

Pre-sale estimates of the coin valued it at around $300,000. The penny was part of one of the most valuable Canadian coin collections ever offered at auction, however while the 1936 penny is certainly among the priciest Canadian coins ever sold, it did not a new record for the country. A 1911 Canadian silver dollar — one of only two known to exist — was sold in 2003 to a Canadian collector for $1.1 million

ha_dot_cent_112309Heritage’s 2010 January Signature World Coin Auction features quite a number of great coins, but none are as famous as the legendary Canadian 1936 Dot Cent. This coin, struck in 1937 prior to the creation of coinage dies for George VI but never released for circulation, has seen its reputation grow exponentially since its discovery.

In early 1936, Great Britain’s George V passed away and was succeeded by his son King Edward VIII. As was common practice, for the remainder of 1936 the coinage continued to have the effigy of King George V. Toward the end of the year, and throughout the British Commonwealth coinage, models were made and dies produced with the effigy of King Edward VIII, but upon Edward’s abdication the dies were no longer valid and a severe shortage of Canadian 1, 10, and 25 Cent pieces arose in early 1937.

Because of the shortage, Canada was forced to continue producing coins dated 1936 with the portrait of King George V. Canadian authorities felt a need to distinguish this 1937 mintage from the 1936 production and a small Dot was placed on the reverse of the 1, 10, and 25 Cent coins. The dot is under the date on the 1 Cent coin, and under the bow on the wreath of the 10 and 25 Cent coins.

History tells us that only the 25 Cent piece was placed in circulation and that three pieces of the Dot Cents, and four pieces of the Dot 10 Cents are the only surviving examples.

ha_dot_cent_112309_detailThe 1936 Dot cent was long considered essentially uncollectible, since noted numismatist John Jay Pittman had held all three known examples from 1961 until his death, but the three-part auction of his collection brought all three back onto the market: the first in October 1997 and the other two (including this piece) in August 1999. The three 1936 Dot Cents, now well-scattered, generate great excitement whenever one appears on the auction block.

This exceptional rarity, graded Specimen 66 Red by PCGS was lightly lacquered at the Mint to preserve the original Mint color and prevent damage to the coin’s surfaces. This seems to have been successful as the coin is basically flawless with full golden-red original color. There are a few light brownish streaks, which appear to be from aging of the lacquer rather than toning of the coin. Also apparent are a few noticeable striations caused by heavy polishing of the die prior to striking the coins. This is the finest of the three pieces extant.
ImageImage
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby penny pretty » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:37 pm

damn dot!!!! I found a 1936, read the article, then frantically looked for a DOT...NOT!! ahh well.. better than a sharp zinc in the eye!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:41 pm

penny pretty wrote:damn dot!!!! I found a 1936, read the article, then frantically looked for a DOT...NOT!! ahh well.. better than a sharp zinc in the eye!

We found a 1936 with a rust dot see -- http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13158&hilit=+1936

henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:06 pm

The Canadian coppers I come across while sorting I keep! I've only managed to find about a tubes worth so far. Same with Canadian nickels too. Any .999 nickels I find will be kept.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dakota1955 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:33 pm

saving until I have to sort them
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby scyther » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:29 am

I sort them into copper and non-copper. No reason to get rid of the coppers, so I'll keep them of course. For now I'm keeping the non-coppers as well, although I might dump them eventually. There are so few of them I'm not really losing anything by keeping them.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:36 pm

I pay 80 cents per dollar on Canadian coinage, if anyone wants a reliable "dump" for clad and zincs.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby ScottyTX » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Everything that's copper goes into the copper bin for me. Don't really get enough canadian down here in Texas to worry about digging them out though....
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing