Large Storage Container

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Large Storage Container

Postby RD5 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:55 pm

What type of storage container should I use for my small bullion collection? any why?
Coin Master Flex
RD5
Penny Collector Member

Re: Large Storage Container

Postby OtusLotus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:12 pm

My safe!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RD5 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:15 pm

haha, no thanks, the small bit I have I intend to keep :D.
Coin Master Flex
RD5
Penny Collector Member

Postby OtusLotus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:22 pm

Seriously, I use a safe, a safety deposit box, and I even have a little glass display that I hang on my wall to appreciate part of my collection.

I think as long as you keep the metals from rubbing up against each other, and out of direct sunlight and/or dampness you should be alright.
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby deacon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:26 pm

What about a hollow book? Keep it in at the bottom of a pile of books. Hide your stash in the open. I have one, and I think its cool.
Or a Barbasol Can Safe. Like Jurrasic Park. Or a Del Monte Fruit Can Safe. Or in an electrical outlet safe. Or a wall clock safe.
Last edited by deacon on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby RD5 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:27 pm

I'm looking for a container to keep in the house that's also air tight or close to it
Coin Master Flex
RD5
Penny Collector Member

Postby RD5 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:27 pm

deacon wrote:What about a hollow book? Keep it in at the bottom of a pile of books. Hide your stash in the open. I have one, and I think its cool.

I so need to look up how to do this!
Coin Master Flex
RD5
Penny Collector Member

Postby CtrlAltBernanke » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:33 pm

I've been thinking a lot about renting a very small storage unit because I don't want to take any chances if I ever get robbed at home. It's only $40 a month for the smallest unit where I'm at. I'm more of the, store anywhere but your home and bank, type of person. I do know a person who has buried it in their backyard and now has a bunch of poison ivy bushed on top of it. I know this will never happen but I have also considered purchasing a huge can of bear mace and putting that in the storage unit also just in case I'm ever made at gun point to go to the storage area so somebody can rob me.
CtrlAltBernanke
Penny Collector Member

Postby CtrlAltBernanke » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:34 pm

RD5 wrote:
deacon wrote:What about a hollow book? Keep it in at the bottom of a pile of books. Hide your stash in the open. I have one, and I think its cool.

I so need to look up how to do this!

There are book safes that you can purchase online. Not that expensive if you want to go that route.
CtrlAltBernanke
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:54 pm

RD5 wrote:I'm looking for a container to keep in the house that's also air tight or close to it

You could vacuum seal them in a food saver.

Individually bagging each piece and then putting them in tupperware with an 02 absorber is about as fancy as you need to get for non-numismatic bullion.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:03 am

A co-worker was stashing money in old magazines he was sure no one would bother reading; a few hundred in each. One of his tenants went through the whole stack and cleaned him out. $10,000. Don't bet on a hollow book being safe.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:58 pm

What collection? My entire collection sank to the bottom of a deep lake several years ago in an unfortunate boating accident.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:11 pm

I store my collection in my boat. :)
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Beau » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:26 pm

one thing you have to think about is weight.
you may have a small collection now but in the future it will be large.
money is heavy.
will the floor or where ever you store your collection hold the weight?
my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:47 pm

Two of the things I learned from being robbed last year:

1. If you've read or heard about a hiding place, there's a very good chance that thieves have also read and/or heard about that hiding place and will search there first. In other words, once someone has suggested a hiding place (especially on something as public as the internet), don't use it. This also means you should never disclose your own hiding place ideas.

2. Store your items in as many different places as feasible. "Don't keep all of your eggs in one basket."

As far as what type of container(s) to use; as long as they aren't being jostled around, and there isn't a lot of moisture, just about anything will work (Tupperware, plastic bags, paper bags, envelopes, used/empty food containers [cottage cheese containers, peanut butter containers, etc.], glass bottles/jars, ammo boxes, and so on…).
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:Two of the things I learned from being robbed last year:

1. If you've read or heard about a hiding place, there's a very good chance that thieves have also read and/or heard about that hiding place and will search there first. In other words, once someone has suggested a hiding place (especially on something as public as the internet), don't use it. This also means you should never disclose your own hiding place ideas.

2. Store your items in as many different places as feasible. "Don't keep all of your eggs in one basket."

As far as what type of container(s) to use; as long as they aren't being jostled around, and there isn't a lot of moisture, just about anything will work (Tupperware, plastic bags, paper bags, envelopes, used/empty food containers [cottage cheese containers, peanut butter containers, etc.], glass bottles/jars, ammo boxes, and so on…).

great post. Whatever you do, Id keep it in more then one spot myself. So fire or theft or whatever wouldnt leave you without some of your stash.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby jacer333 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Treetop wrote:
Doctor Steuss wrote:Two of the things I learned from being robbed last year:

great post. Whatever you do, Id keep it in more then one spot myself. So fire or theft or whatever wouldnt leave you without some of your stash.

+1 to that. I keep some in a safety deposit box, some hidden at home, and some in a safe in a building we own.
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Nacinator » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:38 pm

Inside a new 30 cal ammo in a 870 lbs safe that is bolted to the floor.
Nacinator
Penny Sorter Member

Postby clashctyrokr » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:25 pm

Find 2-5 safe, private locations and split it up. Don't keep all your eggs in one basket! Also, hiding in plain site works, but hiding somewhere no thief would look is better. Think in the wall, in the floor, buried in boxes of crap, etc.
clashctyrokr

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:43 pm

CtrlAltBernanke wrote:I've been thinking a lot about renting a very small storage unit because I don't want to take any chances if I ever get robbed at home. It's only $40 a month for the smallest unit where I'm at. I'm more of the, store anywhere but your home and bank, type of person. I do know a person who has buried it in their backyard and now has a bunch of poison ivy bushed on top of it. I know this will never happen but I have also considered purchasing a huge can of bear mace and putting that in the storage unit also just in case I'm ever made at gun point to go to the storage area so somebody can rob me.

Poison Ivy??? Yikes. Pretty creative idea though!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:05 pm

Roses and blackberry work well, too.

People living out away from town up in the interior generally build a cache house on stilts (mainly to keep bear and other vermin out of the storage), used in part for the supplies they need in case the house burns down. The nearest Holiday Inn might be a half year walk, no roads.

You might stash a cheap wall tent, some cheap and new sleeping bags in large sacks (prevent matting), maybe a stove and lantern... Used gear works, but be sure to give it a cleaning before storing.

Be sure you protect your stuff from vermin; I had a squirrel store about 10 pounds of bird seed in my stuff one year. Still finding the blasted stuff.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals