Kiss my A** pawn guy!!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Kiss my A** pawn guy!!

Postby Treetop » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:13 pm

I was in a pawn shop the other day, checking out what they have. not really for silver, they over charge greatly.

So anyway, Im in there and an older women comes in and has a box of miscellaneous coins, and a large bag of 90%! I over hear her say her husband died a few years back, and she hates to sell his collection but she needs it to eat. He offered her 5X face for her 90%!! So I jump in and tell her the actual value. I told her I dont know much about her box of mixed coins (looked like mostly bulk type foreign stuff but i didnt look thoroughly) but I was 100% positive of the value of the 90%.

The pawn shop guy was irate naturally. Told me to never come back, and as I left continued to try to convince the women to sell. I waited outside. She came out and said in the end he offered her 7X face and swore he could do no better. She asked if this was fair, and I explained several ways to her she could sell them. I even told her Id loan her a small amount while holding the equivalent value in silver if she needed cash until apmex or the like could pay her. (I figured apmex would be the easiest way for her) She said she isnt hurting bad enough she couldnt wait awhile for the cash, and said shed have her relatives who have the net help her sell.

Anyway you got what you deserved pawn guy. i know he needs to make a profit but 5-7X face? seems way low to me.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Kiss my A** pawn guy!!

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:21 pm

Good for you man. Nice work.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Good job, and definitely worth getting kicked out. Now I'm off to renew my craigslist ad that the scammers keep flagging.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby misteroman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:37 pm

^^^^^^Same here once a day usually. Sometimes they let it go for a few days. Been paying the most in my area for yrs
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:58 pm

You did the right thing but.....

I'll do this again: Typical story describing the elderly old broad ,who effing nailed his coffin shut, because she had nothing better to do. He was an idiot, hanging on to those coins when he could have just just taken them to the bank.

I don't feel sorry for her because: The dummy she was married to, who allowed every last bit of his manhood to be chewed up by her bitching!, did what he could to make sure she had something to feed herself with. I don't care if she looses.

But the pawn guy is a complete scumbag! I'm glad he lost the deal.

Maybe the "all-knowing elderly old widow" (AKEOW) will take-em to the bank.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Chaboo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:06 am

It's no fun getting kicked out of a shop, but sometimes making a stand for something like this is worth it every time - kudos to you!!
Chaboo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:10 am

Treetop, you're a man's man. Thanks for making a stand.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:10 am

Thogey wrote:
I don't feel sorry for her because: The dummy she was married to, who allowed every last bit of his manhood to be chewed up by her bitching!, did what he could to make sure she had something to feed herself with. I don't care if she looses.

In all honesty I did it as much for him as I did her. I sure didnt want to see someone hurting financially sell some much below its actual value either.

Thinking of the fellow who had built this stash weighed in heavy on me though. My wife knows what we have, but we have all seen stories of those who do not. the last b**** slap from beyond the grave to many wise husbands out there.

In her defense she atleast knew not to turn it in for face value. Who in the world knows why she would have trusted a pawn shop owner as to its true value.

i didnt make this thread to belittle those who also make such low ball offers. People should have done their homework. I couldnt low ball people to THIS level myself, on something I view as actual money but to each his own. Heck I could have offered her 10X on the spot. Made out well. I wouldnt make a good salesmen I guess. Atleast not at the expense of hungry people.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:52 am

Treetop wrote:I couldnt low ball people to THIS level myself, on something I view as actual money but to each his own. Heck I could have offered her 10X on the spot. Made out well.

Markup percentages are a question we all have to live with. Some people, even here, are out for all they can get. Others, like yourself, have a conscience about how they treat other people.

For myself, I'm happy to buy 90% locally at 10% under spot and then give somebody here a few percent of that when I flip the coins I don't want to keep. I get a possible coin upgrade plus a few more ounces. Somebody here gets a nice deal, and the person I bought from gets 5% less than APMEX buy price for a local cash deal. Everybody wins, and I sleep well at night.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:22 am

I like to buy at 80% when I can get it. You should have bought them from her at 80-90% and resold them here. It would have helped her out and someone here.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby db23 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:29 am

I think that most here are used to getting really nice P2P deals on this forum and forget that pawn shops have bills to pay, unlike most members of this forum - I'm talking BUSINESS expenses. I doubt that most pawn shops could pay their rent, electric, insurance etc on a spread that most here seem to think would be 'fair'.

Maybe he low balled her a little too much, but pawn shops are not in the business of charity and most people going into a pawn shop know this. Maybe she should have gone to a coin shop to look for a slightly better deal?

As far as competing with Apmex, first deduct the cost of shipping to get a valid comparison. Now factor in the waiting period for you to ship and then Apmex to verify and mail you a check. There is a value for instant gratification, and for some people it may indeed be that substantial depending on their situation.

If she'd have accepted 5x-7x FV then I'd be fine with that, it'd be nobody's fault but her own for not doing her own due diligence.
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:37 am

db23 wrote:
Maybe he low balled her a little too much.

Maybe he low balled her a little too much? Offering an elderly woman 5X face is not low balling her it is stealing.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby twentybux » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:49 am

NDFarmer wrote:
db23 wrote:

Maybe he low balled her a little too much? Offering an elderly woman 5X face is not low balling her it is stealing.

I agree. That is theft. You did right. I applaud you. How can anyone sit there and watch an elderly woman being robbed. Is the lady ignorant? Yes. However we are all brother's keeper. Bless you bro.
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Numis Pam » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:19 pm

twentybux wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:
db23 wrote:

I agree. That is theft. You did right. I applaud you. How can anyone sit there and watch an elderly woman being robbed. Is the lady ignorant? Yes. However we are all brother's keeper. Bless you bro.

Amen!! I agree...
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals