A Digital Scale!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

A Digital Scale!

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:50 pm

YAY for me!! I picked up a digital scale today at my LCS along with a few other things. At last, the stash of 82's that wasn't sorted through yet is now COMPLETE!

Yes...I could have done it using popsicle sticks or something like that, or dropping it on the surface to hear the sound, but....now I have a new toy to play with while sorting pennies!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: A Digital Scale!

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:54 am

Cool.
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:44 am

If it has a metal platform, putting an iphone screen protector over the metal will help to keep your coins (and scale) scratch free.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby dakota1955 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:29 am

they are nice to have
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:01 pm

You didn't have to go to the expense of buying a scale. Just hold a blow torch to a small portion of the edge. The zinks will melt way faster than the coppers. The zinks you can still spend even if there is a slightly, partially melted edge to them and the un-melted coppers you save.

It's the only way to know for certain.

Just sayin'. :mrgreen:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:28 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:You didn't have to go to the expense of buying a scale. Just hold a blow torch to a small portion of the edge. The zinks will melt way faster than the coppers. The zinks you can still spend even if there is a slightly, partially melted edge to them and the un-melted coppers you save.

A little extreme, perhaps, but not necessarily a bad idea.... :twisted:

However, I think that I will just stick with my new scale for the time being.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:30 pm

[quote="Engineer"]If it has a metal platform, putting an iphone screen protector over the metal will help to keep your coins (and scale) scratch free.[/qu

Why, yes it does have a metal platform on it. It has a 500 gram capacity, so that should be sufficient to handle most anything I'll come across. A screen protector is a good idea.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:52 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:You didn't have to go to the expense of buying a scale. Just hold a blow torch to a small portion of the edge. The zinks will melt way faster than the coppers. The zinks you can still spend even if there is a slightly, partially melted edge to them and the un-melted coppers you save.

A little extreme, perhaps, but not necessarily a bad idea.... :twisted:

:lol:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby penny pretty » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:19 pm

I got a digiscale at amazonfor 12 bux. works perfet!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:39 pm

Please tell me you weigh more than one at a time....! :D
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby getdong » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:32 am

putting coins on a digital scale seems more time consuming than even hand sorting and picking them out with your eyes. i know a ryedale isn't for everyone i cant justify the expense myself but at the very leasat get yourself a coin comparator from a vending supply company. even if your hand feeding and dont have a reel setup its still going to be 100x faster than a digital scale
getdong
Penny Sorter Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:48 pm

I was able to weigh all of my 82's that I had in a little over an hour. Most of them one at a time, but I did find myself doing 2 or 3 just to see how much faster it would be. Needless to say, I will longer have any future 82's that will need to be weighed....now I can do them as I sort ;)
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:49 am

SilverDragon72 wrote:I was able to weigh all of my 82's that I had in a little over an hour. Most of them one at a time, but I did find myself doing 2 or 3 just to see how much faster it would be. Needless to say, I will longer have any future 82's that will need to be weighed....now I can do them as I sort ;)

When I was handsorting, recently, the copper to zinc ratio was still like 86 to 14. So, I would weigh 3 at a time. When things got better I would go to 4 and then 5 at a time. If the zinc ones got ugly I'd have to go all the way down to 2 at a time.

This is how I found a nice 1982 P DDO (double die obvervse).
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:01 pm

I'm just glad to have finally gotten one. I haven't been looking for errors too much though...
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby marine70 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:46 am

I weigh the 82's one at a time I wait till I have a hundred or so. To me it is just part of hand sorting. Besides since I retired it relaxes me sometimes too much.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing