The Fed is sorting out Copper cents

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: The Fed is sorting out Copper cents

Postby Z00 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:41 pm

I would think that the membership of this forum would know that the "Fed" has nothing to do with the coinage. It is simply reqired to do the distribution of coins thru the member banks. It buys the coinage from the US mint at face value.

READ and educate yourself:
http://host4.us/boycott/
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JobIII » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:35 pm

I'm not all-knowing, I just wanted to see if anyone knew of possible coin recycling programs here in the US...
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:15 pm

JobIII wrote:I'm not all-knowing, I just wanted to see if anyone knew of possible coin recycling programs here in the US...

The US Mint has one already: It deals with mutilated coinage.

http://www.frbservices.org/operations/c ... _coin.html
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ZenOps » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:28 pm

There is no need to recycle US pennies.

At this point in time, the US can at any time print up an extra $600 Billion dollars each year (or more if necessary) The entire circulated penny hoard of zincs and coppers in the US can be immediately replaced with printed money - as long as the commodity houses like MF Global and PFG do not default on physical commodities.

Err, wait... The US can at any time get more copper from the London metal exchange, which was just bought out by the Hong Kong exchange...

Err wait... Yeah the US desperately needs to recycle its pennies (and nickels too for that matter) Canada has set the bar at 7.0 grams of nickel as being worth approximately $1, If the US does not follow suit - the US will have to go into increasing amounts of debt to maintain it.

Bass' and Youngs' are too smart for words.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby palmvtree » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:03 pm

palmvtree wrote:I just posted on another link that all 4 boxes that I picked up last Friday was all zinc (actually I found 1 copper wheat that was really worn)!

A note to those who weigh your boxes...I just went through the tedious process of going through the few boxes I posted about and found 3 wide AMs, 15 wheats (no other coppers whatsoever) and one of the wheats was a 1909 VDB!!!!!! Kind of a nice change of pace to look at only zincs and errors if you hand sort!

Oh and congrats to the US and Canada Women's soccer teams ( spoiler alert go USA ). I heard it was one hell of a game to watch ... while sorting pennies!
palmvtree

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:58 pm

palmvtree wrote:Oh and congrats to the US and Canada Women's soccer teams ( spoiler alert go USA ). I heard it was one hell of a game to watch ... while sorting pennies!

And hope the Japanese trounce them tomorrow.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby stlouiscoin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:46 am

the us teams(men and women) are teams that have the potential to be good teams, and they showed that yesterday. hope they can show it again today.
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:26 pm

palmvtree wrote:
palmvtree wrote:I just posted on another link that all 4 boxes that I picked up last Friday was all zinc (actually I found 1 copper wheat that was really worn)!

A note to those who weigh your boxes...I just went through the tedious process of going through the few boxes I posted about and found 3 wide AMs, 15 wheats (no other coppers whatsoever) and one of the wheats was a 1909 VDB!!!!!! Kind of a nice change of pace to look at only zincs and errors if you hand sort!

Oh and congrats to the US and Canada Women's soccer teams ( spoiler alert go USA ). I heard it was one hell of a game to watch ... while sorting pennies!

Imagine the day when copper pennies will be very hard to find in circulation, like silver is now....
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 am

SilverDragon72 wrote:
palmvtree wrote:

Imagine the day when copper pennies will be very hard to find in circulation, like silver is now....

Not sure it will ever get to that point. Copper isn't worth it in small quantities and low percentages. I think everyone will give up when it hits like 5%. I know I will. I don't think we'll see a time when there are less than 1% copper pennies in circulation for several decades at least, unless the government starts pulling the copper itself.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby palmvtree » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:23 pm

cesariojpn wrote:
palmvtree wrote:Oh and congrats to the US and Canada Women's soccer teams ( spoiler alert go USA ). I heard it was one hell of a game to watch ... while sorting pennies!

And hope the Japanese trounce them tomorrow.

:mrgreen:
palmvtree

Postby stlouiscoin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:49 pm

usa! usa! usa!
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheba » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:58 pm

:lol: USA 2 - Japan 1 :lol: Hooray USA!
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:56 pm

stlouiscoin wrote:usa! usa! usa!

Sheba wrote::lol: USA 2 - Japan 1 :lol: Hooray USA!

Ah figures. USA always trounces the Japanese in Soccer. Good show, Good show.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing