So whats the % find like?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

So whats the % find like?

Postby AlexTG » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:02 pm

I was wondering, for those of you that get a box, or boxs of dimes or quarters. What is your % silver find like, I realize this all based on region but I am thinking about picking the hobby up.
AlexTG
Penny Pincher Member

Re: So whats the % find like?

Postby aloneibreak » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:10 am

i average 1 90% dime per $500 searched -- and 1 90% quarter per $1000 searched

some members average better on dimes

not worth the time in my area - i havent searched boxes for quite a while now
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby rainsonme » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:22 am

I find 1 silver dime on avg in a $500 of dimes. I have yet to find a silver quarter from a bank --- a couple from CWR's (customer wrapped rolls) over the past 4 years, but none from the banks.

Consider nickles, also. There is more to find ---- war nickles, buffalo's, and all the pre-1960's. Not big value, but a war nickle or a buffalo is worth almost as much as a dime, and you are more likely to find then in $100 of nickles than $500 in dimes.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:31 am

search halves, nothing else is worth the time and effort :cry:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby PreservingThePast » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:31 am

AlexTG wrote:I was wondering, for those of you that get a box, or boxs of dimes or quarters. What is your % silver find like, I realize this all based on region but I am thinking about picking the hobby up.

Check the Tracking Threads Only Section.

There is a monthly run tally of all reported searches from nickels on up. This is the current month's name: *Official December 2010 Half Dollars and Other Coins . Some months are better than others but there are pictures and it is fun to read through the skunks and finds alike.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby JobIII » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:10 pm

The tracking logs are a great reference, but it's amazing how different your results may be when you actually sort the boxes.

Dimes i find 1 about every $500. I usually find more in customer wrapped rolls. But you run the risk of getting pennies and shorted on rolls...

Quarters...nothing ever

halves are another area to look. 1 per box may be about the average, though the rate changes depending on the amount you sort and the location you are doing the sorting in.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby misteroman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:19 pm

ugh. I can't see how people go through a box of dimes to find $2 lol. To each his own but man that would be tedious
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby frugalcanuck » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:36 pm

I did it once and was happy to find silver but I thought I would be better off sorting pennies and selling and buying silver with the profits
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals