TIME CAPSULE !

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

TIME CAPSULE !

Postby John Reich » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:37 pm

I handsort $5.00 worth of pennies per week, more for relaxation than anything else. I had to work today, so my wife was kind enough to pickup my penny "fix". When I got home I saw a lot of older-looking wrappers, so I was really psyched! None of the pennies were newer than 1996, and in three of the rolls, nothing was newer than 1984! Alas! No wheaties, but the final totals were: 214 Zinc, 233 pre-1982's, 51 1982's (I keep them separate & when I get a couple hundred I sort them by weighing), 1- 1981 Canadian and 1 1974-S. Normally I don't look for zinc varieties, but a lot of the 83 & 84's were uncirculated so I checked them out. No double dies, though. I did notice that even though they were shiny unc's, a lot of the zincs had quite a few "pimples". Anyway, I had a great couple of hours travelling back in time to the 80's and 90's to see what was circulating back then. As a consolation prize, the teller gave my wife (3) wheatbacks she had kept in her till for me!
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Re: TIME CAPSULE !

Postby Country » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:29 pm

I put away a few hundred dollars of pennies in 1979 and 1980. These were customer rolls, some even had Social Security numbers on them, as was the practice in the old days. I never looked at any of them until last year. I took a look and some rolls were apparently stashed away by the bank were from the late '60s and early '70s. For some rolls, no penny was later than 1969, with plenty of shiny coins from the '60s, but no wheaties. Definitely fun to look at these old rolls. :mrgreen:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby penny pretty » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:43 pm

nice. I had an early post(cant even rember the name) about 24 rolls I got that the latest date was 1975. about 3 wheats a roll and all the 74 and 75s were BU.Even had name and address on the rolls, asked here about contacting them, but was told taboo. figured someone kept pennies till they died, then they sat till a relative cashed them in. %100 rolls are AWESOME!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby bookshelf » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:37 am

I too hand-sort pennies in five dollar batches. Yesterday's set was one of the best. Four of the ten rolls had writing on it: 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's. I must of picked up someone's coin collection. I ended up with 138 wheat pennies and 242 59-82 coppers. 76% copper isn't too bad.
Wanted: current Japanese YEN coins and bills
bookshelf
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mauserman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:56 pm

John Reich wrote:I handsort $5.00 worth of pennies per week, more for relaxation than anything else. I had to work today, so my wife was kind enough to pickup my penny "fix". When I got home I saw a lot of older-looking wrappers, so I was really psyched! None of the pennies were newer than 1996, and in three of the rolls, nothing was newer than 1984! Alas! No wheaties, but the final totals were: 214 Zinc, 233 pre-1982's, 51 1982's (I keep them separate & when I get a couple hundred I sort them by weighing), 1- 1981 Canadian and 1 1974-S. Normally I don't look for zinc varieties, but a lot of the 83 & 84's were uncirculated so I checked them out. No double dies, though. I did notice that even though they were shiny unc's, a lot of the zincs had quite a few "pimples". Anyway, I had a great couple of hours travelling back in time to the 80's and 90's to see what was circulating back then. As a consolation prize, the teller gave my wife (3) wheatbacks she had kept in her till for me!

Wow, nice! Those are always fun.

bookshelf wrote:I too hand-sort pennies in five dollar batches. Yesterday's set was one of the best. Four of the ten rolls had writing on it: 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's. I must of picked up someone's coin collection. I ended up with 138 wheat pennies and 242 59-82 coppers. 76% copper isn't too bad.

Awesome, every once in a while you get lucky.
Mauserman

Postby John Reich » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:29 pm

Hey bookshelf! $5.00 a week is just the right amount for me too. Anymore than that and it would start to become a chore. I've been at it for about 3 years now, and have accomplished most of the sorter "landmarks": proof cents, steel cents, full roll of wheats, full rolls of copper, pre-1940's, counterstamped, errors, etc. The Indian has eluded me to this point in roll searching, but I'm sure I'll find one someday. The tellers at my bank appreciate me taking the CWR's off their hands so they don't have to count them at the end of the night. I dump my zinc's at a diferent branch of my bank about every 2 months--those tellers aren't quite as happy to see me as the pickup-tellers are!
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing