I took the plunge!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

I took the plunge!

Postby Ninsha » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:49 pm

I've got a Ryedale now, and have talked to a few banks locally who will get me loose pennies as I require them in $50 bank bags. I have an account set up at my dump bank, which has a coin sorter machine in the lobby with no fee for account holders. I sorted a few hundred dollars in zinc, and now i've got about 30lbs of copper sorted out...I'd like to sell a few Mini-CTU's, but not sure what the best way to go about this is? Do people still have success with them on eBay? What about the marketplace here on these forums? Anything I should stay away from?
Ninsha

Re: I took the plunge!

Postby NHsorter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:44 pm

The ideal thing would be to find a local buyer. Maybe through here or craigslist. Avoiding freight costs can really help with your margins.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby avidbrandy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Good luck to you. Tell us when the first bank bans you. still not sure if it's an accomplishment and mile marker, or a failure, but it's rather unique to be called into the manager's office for a 'talk'
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mrrosado » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Ninsha wrote:I've got a Ryedale now, and have talked to a few banks locally who will get me loose pennies as I require them in $50 bank bags. I have an account set up at my dump bank, which has a coin sorter machine in the lobby with no fee for account holders. I sorted a few hundred dollars in zinc, and now i've got about 30lbs of copper sorted out...I'd like to sell a few Mini-CTU's, but not sure what the best way to go about this is? Do people still have success with them on eBay? What about the marketplace here on these forums? Anything I should stay away from?

Well this is not advice but just my own experience. Selling on here (I do Church fundraisers) has zero fees.
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
mrrosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:46 pm

avidbrandy wrote:Good luck to you. Tell us when the first bank bans you. still not sure if it's an accomplishment and mile marker, or a failure, but it's rather unique to be called into the manager's office for a 'talk'
I hoard bank bans by the ton. And still every time I get called into the manager's office I think it is cause they want to offer me low interest rate loans. The good thing is that bank managers never last.. and you can recycle banks after a couple of years. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:01 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:
avidbrandy wrote:Good luck to you. Tell us when the first bank bans you. still not sure if it's an accomplishment and mile marker, or a failure, but it's rather unique to be called into the manager's office for a 'talk'
I hoard bank bans by the ton. And still every time I get called into the manager's office I think it is cause they want to offer me low interest rate loans. The good thing is that bank managers never last.. and you can recycle banks after a couple of years. :mrgreen:

Oh wow I never thought of this. Thank you. I will have to go check the banks again from time to time.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:14 am

Congrats and best of luck to you Ninsha!

I have success with mini-CTU's on Ebay, and in some cases I've actually netted as much as .0155 per copper cent. But you have to be sure to start bidding high enough to compensate for Ebay's and PayPal's fees! By selling here, you avoid fees altogether.

Still, I have to admit, I net more profit from selling on Ebay than I do here in the Realcent marketplace. But that's OK, because I like giving good deals to the people who help make this a great online community.
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:15 am

One other tip. Don't make the mistake I did and list more than one mini-CTU on eBay at once. They consider it a duplicate listing and will remove it. You have to find creative ways to stay within their rules or stick to shorter auctions.
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing