The Jump in Gold Prices

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

The Jump in Gold Prices

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:23 pm

:o :o :o :o

Seeing the huge moves is mind blowing, but when there is an offical collapse, this will look rather tame. :shock:

In the news....

Weak jobs growth...The unemployment rate fell to 8.1 percent from 8.3 percent in July. But that was only because more people gave up looking for jobs. People out of work are counted as unemployed only if they're looking for a job. So what is the REAL unemployment rate? :shh:

Get ready boys and girls, the QE3 freight train is on it's way....Sept 13th. :shifty:

Across the Pond:

The European Central Bank agreed to launch a new and potentially unlimited bond-buying programme to lower struggling euro zone countries’ borrowing costs and draw a line under the debt crisis... :o :shock:

Sidebar...Let me see if I understand this correctly. An unlimited about on money, that the Euro countries don't have, will be created and given to countries in trouble that already can't afford the debt they owe now, putting them deeper in debt. That sure sounds like a plan doesn't it. :roll:
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: The Jump in Gold Prices

Postby Verbane » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Copper Catcher wrote: People out of work are counted as unemployed only if they're looking for a job. So what is the REAL unemployment rate? :shh:

I believe their only counted as unemployed if they are receiving unemployment benefits. Our government doesn't count those looking for work after their benefits have expired.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:43 pm

Even the broad U-6 number only counts people who have looked for work within the last year. Anyone else is ignored.

If you simply take the number of "Employed" age 16-64 according to the BLS, and the number of total people age 16-64 according to the Census, you get an unemployment rate of over 36%. Even if you disregard new mothers and the disabled, the number is still above 25%.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:08 pm

I saw "19%" over at the Breitbart sites, but suspect they went with a "reasonable maximum" unemployment figure to avoid being labeled scare mongers. My armchair guess? About 25% to 30%, measured the way sociologists and the CIA measure unemployment. For other countries.

http://www.breitbart.com/
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals