Storage Locker Find

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Storage Locker Find

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:20 am

http://www.aetv.com/storage-wars/video/ ... 2672127001

418 Silver Quarters in one tin ALONE. Guess what else he finds.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Storage Locker Find

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:26 am

Has anyone on this forum went to one of those auctions?

Ive thought about going to one
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:14 am

Ive never been to one, but my grandfather has. He collects all kinds of junk, when i say that I mean actual junk. He filled his garage with it. Built another one, and it was full before it was finished being built...

anyway, it might be worth checking out. He bought 3 units one day unopened by the way, it wasnt like they did in this show, for about 100-200. He actually DID find silver in there to. A complete set of sterling. tools and all kinds of other stuff, a living room set. he made out like a bandit PLUS had a bunch of junk to shove into his garage to boot!!!!
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:32 am

With that show out, there will probably be more competition for bidding.

One of the ads on TV had one of the bidders saying he bought a storage unit for a couple hundred and was able to sell the contents for $150k; pretty good return on your money.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:09 am

These shows will cause people to start buying up storage units at higher than normal prices hoping to hit it big. Most units will have junk that isn't worth the time or effort to try to resale. Look at pawn stars or auction kings. They only focus on the good stories..
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Coppercrazy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:28 am

I have a vintage/junk shop here in New Orleans and I frequent the auctions in the metro area,have for 10 years now.You want some insider info on these auctions-first-check your local public notices in the classifieds.the notices are usually published 2 weeks before actual auction.Youre going to see alot of junk,and alot of heavy appliances,ugly sofas,etc,but just about anything CAN turn up in a unit.I only bid on units that seem to have antiques or vintage,or artist/collector type looking units,but alot of what you see is run of the mill...if youre going to give it a try,just figure youve got to move all that stuff somewhere else,or rent the unit(usually 48 hours to clear it) not all facilities are honest either-that is to say if they know its abandoned,they may go through it before the auction...Guitar and tool cases are sometimes EMPTY....It depends on the management...I think the TV show is BS and yes its brought new bidders to auctions this month...but I think what they saw this week was pretty discouraging. If youre wondering about it-go check one out! (also find out what terms of payment are-some are cash only-good luck!
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby GA-Silver » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:54 am

I've been to app. 5-6 of these auctions and all that is in 90% of these units is pure JUNK!! Why people pay $$ to store this crap is beyond me. If you are a carpenter or a builder, one can get some decent deals on lumber and building materials. I seriousily doubt that you are gonna find many GAE's or vintage Winchester rifles at these auctions. Think about it.....if you are going to lose you junk, wouldn't you get the good stuff out before you defaulted on the storage unit lease??
GA-Silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby misteroman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:01 am

auctionzip.com will show you EVER auction with in an XXX mile radius of you
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals