Posen 800 Silver Platters

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Posen 800 Silver Platters

Postby Tantalar » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:23 pm

I found 2 huge Posen 800 silver platters at goodwill. They were $12 each. They were on the bottom shelf, mixed in with a bunch of other junk. Total weight 5 pounds .04 ounces. Scrap or sell? From what I gather, they are dated between late 1800s to early 1900s. They look fairly bland as most platters do.
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Posen 800 Silver Platters

Postby Thogey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:47 pm

Try e-bay first. Price them at 20% over melt + shipping. See what happens.

No sale? melt.

This one sold for melt http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITALIAN-800-100 ... 7675.l2557

BTW ......

BULLY!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:50 pm

It's nice when you find $1800 worth of silver laying there with a $24 price tag.

That one get a bonus BULLY!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby creshka46 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:23 pm

:shock:
That is amazing! Way to go!
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:30 pm

Tantalar wrote:I found 2 huge Posen 800 silver platters at goodwill. They were $12 each. They were on the bottom shelf, mixed in with a bunch of other junk. Total weight 5 pounds .04 ounces. Scrap or sell? From what I gather, they are dated between late 1800s to early 1900s. They look fairly bland as most platters do.

Are these Sterling silver, or plated?
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby galenrog » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:05 pm

.800 silver was one of several standard alloys used throughout Europe in the 19th century. I have several pieces of flatware from such places as Italy, Poland, Spain, Denmark, France and England. Much of it is marked .800 and .820. A few pieces from England are marked Sterling, which I am assuming is .925. Relatives in Europe have flatware, platters, bowls, etc., that are marked from .700 to .950. As you can see, the alloys used are all over the map.

As far as disposal, I agree with attempting to sell on eBay starting about 20% above melt. Failing that, melt. Silver is silver.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:12 pm

Tantalar wrote:I found 2 huge Posen 800 silver platters at goodwill. They were $12 each. They were on the bottom shelf, mixed in with a bunch of other junk. Total weight 5 pounds .04 ounces. Scrap or sell? From what I gather, they are dated between late 1800s to early 1900s. They look fairly bland as most platters do.

:shock: I feel like a rockstar when I get a 10 grams of sterling for a buck. THIS IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!

WTG!!!! :clap:
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby bman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:13 pm

Thogey wrote:
BULLY!

Ditto!!! :shock: :clap:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:14 pm

Did you ask for a discount? :lol:

And do tell a little more.... was your heart beating clean out of you chest? I would also assume you took the time to check over EVERY OTHER ITEM in the shop?
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby BamaJoe » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Very nice - congrats.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theshoenlebens » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:26 pm

Nice, been checking around here but coming up empty.
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Tantalar » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:46 pm

This year alone I have found a Omege turler watch from the 60s, 18k solid gold including the band $3
Sterling platter that was I believe $5, worth over $1,000

When I go to any picking situation for media, collectables, or PMs I always move quickly and admire my discoveries after. I grabbed them quick because I thought 800 meant 80% silver. I confirmed this with little surprise when I was finishing up at the goodwill. I was very pleased of course, as you almost never find this at a goodwill. It is much more common at thrift shops run by volunteers.

I really wanted to buy some more silver when it went below $32, so this was a blessing. Unfortunately I really do need to sell these because I am moving :cry:
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:15 pm

Tantalar wrote:This year alone I have found a Omege turler watch from the 60s, 18k solid gold including the band $3
Sterling platter that was I believe $5, worth over $1,000

When I go to any picking situation for media, collectables, or PMs I always move quickly and admire my discoveries after. I grabbed them quick because I thought 800 meant 80% silver. I confirmed this with little surprise when I was finishing up at the goodwill. I was very pleased of course, as you almost never find this at a goodwill. It is much more common at thrift shops run by volunteers.

I really wanted to buy some more silver when it went below $32, so this was a blessing. Unfortunately I really do need to sell these because I am moving :cry:

Put it in the "buy it now" section right here and see if anyone wants them.

Congrats! That is a find of a lifetime!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:45 pm

what part of the country are you in?
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheba » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:59 pm

A big 'Wow'! and 'congratulations. I need to start visiting the Goodwill shops. What about Savation Army shops? Live in a city of around 250,000, so I think there may be more than one outlet store. Probably many others are doing the same thing. But maybe I'll get lucky :)

regards,
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:27 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:

:shock: I feel like a rockstar when I get a 10 grams of sterling for a buck. THIS IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!

WTG!!!! :clap:

Good work!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals