does your local coin store charge sales tax on metals?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: does your local coin store charge sales tax on metals?

Postby brian0918 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:02 pm

This site has a breakdown by state, as of April 2011

http://thecoinologist.com/sales-tax-sta ... breakdown/
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:08 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
Engineer wrote:I live in a state with a sales tax on PMS, but the LCS either builds it into the price or doesn't charge it. When he names a price on something, it's the out the door price.

For men there's always been a survival tax on pre-menstrual syndrome.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

Usually they quote the out-the-door price and pay the tax themselves. They ALWAYS want cash and you have to ask for a receipt, they don't volunteer one.

Last week, my LCS was asking $5.00 over spot for ASEs AND charges sales tax. The tax is 8.517% for Tulsa. You still have to ask for a receipt. At the time I was in the store, that made their price for an ASE right at $40.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby joemac » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:18 pm

I think the real question here, or the underlying question is if PM's are real money why is sales tax charged on real money if you are just exchanging money for money. The extenuation of this is that if PM's are real money, what the hell is fiat then? Seems like a conflict of interest for the states to say that there is no tax on PM's or that PM's are money. Although, this is changing in a few states like Utah and a couple others.

Anyway, I read an article about this from a dealer in Tennessee I think. He had a huge, drawn out court battle about this very thing. I'll see if I can find the article. What he went through to prove his point is uncanny.

Found it; Franklin Sanders on his Moneychangers website http://the-moneychanger.com/answers/the ... _mid_south
joemac
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Bigsarge » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:09 pm

In WI, we have to pay sales tax. The guy at my regular CS says that he loses some business to Illinois, as they don't charge a tax and were basically 5 minutes from the Il. border. When I first started buying there, he charged me tax a few times. As I became a regular, that only pays in cash, I get the cash discount, that just happens to be the same amount as the tax would of been. Other LCS havn't offered the 'discount' to me.
Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?

Oh, it looks good on you though.
Bigsarge
Penny Collector Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals