What's your LCS getting for silver eagles?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: What's your LCS getting for silver eagles?

Postby RTPMarine » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:40 pm

68Camaro wrote:Context of this thread is ASEs, not some other series, and of the norm for pricing readily attainable, not some jackass price that a fool pays.

You're picking a fight with me. It's cool if that's your thing. It's not mine, though.

OP's first post mentioned premiums in general--he even mentioned JM bars by name. My responses were making the point that the trading premium value of a coin is not tied to how much it costs to mint.
"Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore."
RTPMarine
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:40 pm

RTPMarine wrote:It's not mine, though.

:lol: That's a good one! Got any more?

Premiums can't be tied to a percentage unless spot remains relatively constant. At $4/oz, I'd buy all day at a 100% premium. At $40/oz, I'd gladly pass up a 5% premium. Minting costs, shop overhead, shipping, seniorage, and to a strong extent numi value are all tied to the dollar rather than the spot price, so premium percentages must rise as spot prices drop.

I always look at .999 or numi premiums as spot plus X dollars. Spot represents the supply level and velocity of silver supply, while the X dollars represents the fixed costs listed above.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby RTPMarine » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:49 pm

Engineer wrote:Premiums can't be tied to a percentage unless spot remains relatively constant. At $4/oz, I'd buy all day at a 100% premium. At $40/oz, I'd gladly pass up a 5% premium. Minting costs, shop overhead, shipping, and Seniorage are all tied to the dollar rather than the spot price, so premium percentages must rise as spot prices drop. That much would be easy to calculate...but the velocity of silver in the market place is an entirely different matter.

I always look at .999 or numi premiums as spot plus X dollars. Spot represents the inflation/deflation of silver supply, while the X dollars represents the fixed costs listed above.

So say a generic round gets struck in a mintage of 100,000 total coins. Since there are fewer coins than a mintage of 40,000,000 (as with 2011 ASEs), by your argument those generic rounds would cost more than ASEs because they cost more to manufacture, package, and distribute per coin. All of those overhead costs had to be spread among only 100,000 coins instead of 40,000,000 coins.

I'm not refuting the overhead involved with minting coins, just saying that it is a pretty simple supply and demand model--the costs associated with minting the coins aren't the bottom line. And I already acknowledged that neither percentages nor straight dollar differences are valid.
"Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore."
RTPMarine
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:13 pm

RTPMarine wrote:So say a generic round gets struck in a mintage of 100,000 total coins. Since there are fewer coins than a mintage of 40,000,000 (as with 2011 ASEs), by your argument those generic rounds would cost more than ASEs because they cost more to manufacture, package, and distribute per coin. All of those overhead costs had to be spread among only 100,000 coins instead of 40,000,000 coins.

I'm not refuting the overhead involved with minting coins, just saying that it is a pretty simple supply and demand model--the costs associated with minting the coins aren't the bottom line. And I already acknowledged that neither percentages nor straight dollar differences are valid.

Your supply and demand model needs some work. How much does a treasury mint worker cost per hour versus a private worker? How many millions do they pay for shiny new presses, and how much would I pay for a decent used press off ebay? How many bureaucrats does the US employ versus the private mints? Do private mints need to keep their machinists in-house, or can they outsource the work without incurring the costs of running a full time machine shop? How much does it cost the US mint to get coin design approval from congress? Then there's the whole issue of security costs.

Your argument that the government can perform work cheaper than the private sector is entertaining though. ;)
Last edited by Engineer on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Robarons » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Local guy is tapped out and hes $3 over

Claims even his supplier is tapped out
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby RTPMarine » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:17 pm

Ok guys, then explain to me why 1996 Eagles cost 2x spot. Was there a spike in the minting costs that year? Of course not. It's a key date, so people demand it. Supply and demand.
RTPMarine
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:33 pm

RTPMarine wrote:Ok guys, then explain to me why 1996 Eagles cost 2x spot. Was there a spike in the minting costs that year? Of course not. It's a key date, so people demand it. Supply and demand.

Arrrgh... Really?

Numismatic prices aren't in the context of the discussion...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby jacks2start » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:37 am

Local here is about 3-4 over spot
jacks2start
Penny Sorter Member

Postby clashctyrokr » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:56 am

My LCS has ASE's for $2.95 over. They almost always have some on hand too :) On busy days they're mixed date, but I call ahead and wait till they have full rolls of BU 2012's before I go buy. They get monster boxes as far as I know.
Other shops in the area are $3-$4.50 over.
clashctyrokr

Postby Klark Cent » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:22 pm

68Camaro wrote:The nominal cost of rounds will always be 1-2$ more than spot just due to production and overhead. ASEs will be a Buck more than that because they have to charge the seinorage of the $1 face value on top. So $3 over spot is a reasonable price for them. More is too much.

Shouldn't that then make the Mapleleafs (with a $5 face value) cost way more than ASEs?

I figure my thinking is wrong. I am just wondering how.

thx
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:10 pm

It should on the surface, if RCM follows the same rules, but I don't know what their rules are. They may not be under the same legal restrictions as the US Mint. Maybe someone that knows can clarify (or look up the RCM rules).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:49 pm

All this discussion is motivating me to take a trip this week to my LCS to add to my silver stack! :thumbup:

I like ASE's, Kookaburras, Maple Leafs, Libertads and the Britannia silver coins! Very nice to look at :)
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby baggerman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:49 pm

I stopped in one in my area today to get some coin tubes and they had some NONE BU PAINTED ASE so out of curiosity I asked how much, $37.00 :lol: :lol: :lol:
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:53 am

SilverDragon72 wrote:All this discussion is motivating me to take a trip this week to my LCS to add to my silver stack! :thumbup:

I like ASE's, Kookaburras, Maple Leafs, Libertads and the Britannia silver coins! Very nice to look at :)

I recently acquired 2 Englehard Prospector rounds and one generic round a couple days ago.....

My LCS informed me that someone came in and dumped almost 400 ounces of silver earlier this week. That's why the trays were overflowing with silver....wow!

I sure wish that I could have gotten more, oh well, maybe next time!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals