Half Dollar Error Coin

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Half Dollar Error Coin

Postby sdmarasso » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:31 pm

I recently found a 1964 Kennedy Half Dollar Error Coin. This coin was minted with Heads on Both sides. Was wondering if anyone knows what it might be worth?
sdmarasso

Re: Half Dollar Error Coin

Postby appjoe » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:52 pm

sdmarasso wrote:I recently found a 1964 Kennedy Half Dollar Error Coin. This coin was minted with Heads on Both sides. Was wondering if anyone knows what it might be worth?

A few years ago I found a dime with 2 heads I was told it's imposible for the mint to strike a 2 headed or 2 tales coin. What happens is someone uses a jewelers saw and cuts 2 coins in half then gules the 2 heads together and then the 2 tales together. The one I had was imposible to see where it was glued together thats how good the cut was. Since then I have seen them for sale for a few dollars.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fb101 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:35 pm

that's correct there are no 2 headed or 2 tailed error coins
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby rainsonme » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:41 am

I have 3 "magician" halfs. One is silver. They are made by hollowing out the tails side of a coin right up to the rim, then cutting down a similar coin just enough for it to fit inside. If you run your finger across each of the flat sides to the edge, I bet you will feel one of those sides is a little "sharp" at the edge. That is the cut-down coin inside the larger coin. Then use magnification and try to see if if you can see a seam somewhere around the rim. I was told by Highroller than it WAS possible for there to be a 2 headed coin from the mint, but magician coins are much more likely. I am keeping mine; I am not sure what their value is; certainly more than 50 cents. I hope to find a few more -----
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals