How is the CL silver market doing in your area?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

How is the CL silver market doing in your area?

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:33 am

I am thinking outside of RC transactions, using craigslist may be a second best place to sell silver. How has pricing been as a seller on CL? If prices stay in the margins that Ebay seems to get as general price floor, constructing sales on CL may be a more-under-the-radar/cost effective method ( ie- no buyer shenanigans of saying silver never arrived; more anonymity too in most cases for me as a seller too? ) ? Are buyers disconnected from LCS and Ebay prices? I know the several blind ads I ran on CL last year has responses from people who wanted to make low-ball offers. I am thinking that a negotiated price that undercuts the LCS's may be incentive for buyers and sellers to meet easily on CL.

I am very reluctant to sell on Ebay as I do not think selling silver there is as safe as selling other items perhaps. For me to arrange a CL sale at my convenience where I don't have to drive out of my regular daily route(s), maybe even negotiating a price where the buyer pays in bricks of pennies ( ha!) could be killing two-birds-with-one-stone kind of thing.
Thoughts?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: How is the CL silver market doing in your area?

Postby slvrbck » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:54 am

I have bought and sold virtually all of my gold silver and platinum on CL for very good prices. Definitely has its low ball buyers and wayyyy overpriced sellers but you just have to be patient
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby joemac » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:13 am

My experience has mostly been trolling for buys. However, I find that most sellers want stupid high prices with premiums that are not even in the ballpark. I tend to find a handful of reasonable buys though. Enough to keep looking anyway. I haven't attempted to sell anything yet.
joemac
Penny Sorter Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:26 am

I've had good results offering to buy at 90% of spot.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:37 am

IdahoCopper wrote:I've had good results offering to buy at 90% of spot.

I think any offer to sell silver on CL at 90% of spot would garner plenty of buyers. My perception tells me that everyone wants a deal, alas that is why I am viewing CL right now as a better deal than having to have a paper trail and other implication via Ebay. I am just waiting for spot price to get high enough that selling below spot will not eat into my cost basis tallies.

I am also wondering how much activity my localized CL region can handle. On a crazy spree, I could theoretically shell out and buy a large amount of silver rounds or SAEs perhaps. How well would I'd be able to turn over the silver and then plan to do it again and again? I guess I am asking the possibility of become a dealer and I think we have discussed that here before. Aside from legal pitfall issues of handling large amounts of silver and the safety factors, I can only imagine the nightmare that would ensue if spot prices dipped greatly after making a large bullion purchase. That is why I am always harping about premiums. Silver price dances in a tight range that premiums buffer too greatly for one to have at trading with profit in mind.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JobIII » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:07 am

We have a lot of people advertising to buy silver here in my area. Most say the same thing, "offering top prices, top paid, most cash, etc.". But most of these don't actually tell a seller what they are paying. There are other ads that do offer pricing for coins.

People selling on CL in my area are almost always asking inflated prices well above melt. I'm immediately turned off by the ads that ask melt + small premium. And it really irks me when people post ads with a price that is above melt and they say it's under. Or they see on Ebay 90% can go for 28-30x and 40% can go for 10-13x so they just post that as their firm price.

CL is free and designed for the masses. So you're going to have to sift through a lot of nonsense to get the infrequent deal. But they are out there.

~JobIII
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:26 am

JobIII wrote:CL is free and designed for the masses. So you're going to have to sift through a lot of nonsense to get the infrequent deal. But they are out there.

~JobIII

I just ran a for-sale ad on CL yesterday. I will see how the responses do from the masses.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:35 pm

I ran an ad to sell some 90% at spot not too long ago and made one deal at slightly under...after he tossed out a lowball offer that I rejected. I've also had some success running ads offering to buy at 10% under, but had to keep reposting the ads as the scammers flagged them.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheba » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:06 pm

To tell the truth, though I don't buy a lot, I have had the best prices and best success using the "Buy it Now" area on this forum. Have made contact with some absoulutely wonderful folks, honest and fair in pricing. I haven't tried to sell anything, because I don't have that much 'stacked', but I've been very impressed with the 'buying' part of this forum and highly reccomend it to anyone.
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby okie jack » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:18 am

Every time i look for bullion on cl around here in my area way east of Tulsa and tulsa i never see any on there. Maybe im not searching right or something. I have made one purchase and had to drive an hour to do it.
okie jack

Postby doc huckleberry » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:22 pm

In the Atlanta area CL seller prices are high(28-30X spot). Met a guy selling Morgans at spot, long story short, 8 of 10 were magnetic, needless to say I passed on all after time/money wasted at meetup. Buyers in my area are nonspecific,"top dollar for your coin collection", who knows what that means. As always, in particular with CL, DYODD.
Agree with Sheba, good success buying from some top notch folks in the RC buy it now forum.
Best Regards
Ken
doc huckleberry
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals