It's that time of year.. Time for a Silver Santa visit

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

It's that time of year.. Time for a Silver Santa visit

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:54 am

It's that time of year again. The time of year when us members step up our acquisition of coins.. in the hope that that we might get a visit from the "Silver Santa" We hope that Thogey's ol' widow might make a deposit to one of our pickup banks.. or that shoppers eager to stimulate the economy might roll up a bunch of coins from all over the house and that me might get a nice Christmas surprise. We eagerly pick up our little tubular Xmas presents and take them home to open before Christmas.. visions of silver dancing in our heads.

Now I admit I have stepped up my sorting of non penny rolls lately. Last weekend I even got talked into taking $800 in quarters from one of my regular banks. It made my regular vault teller happy that he didn't have to break them open and ship them off. There was no silver in them, but I did get 11 bonus quarters. I picked up $200 in dimes from the same bank. Didn't get skunked on that one.. got 1 silver dime for the hoard. $200 in dimes from another bank yielded another silver dime. $100 in nickels got me a silver nickel. Not exactly the makings of a good Silver Santa story.. but at least I am getting a little.. and you can't win if you don't play.

So today I actually got off work early (imagine that) and stopped by the bank I got those quarters from last week about 10 minutes before closing. My regular vault teller says he is glad to see me and that it is good I came in today since he is off tomorrow. He comes out with 2 trays of dimes and tells me "it isn't much, but I think you will like what I got for you." He tells me he didn't think I was coming in this week so he went to break some rolls and ship them off. He sees the silver and decides he should set these aside for me. He shows me one of the green rolls where it says 1964 on it and pours them out in his hand to show me all the silver dimes.

Out of the 20 rolls, 14 of them were almost all solid silver! One roll was a short roll.. with only 44 dimes in it, but I don't mind short rolls when they make that silver bells sound as you pour them out into your hand.

Total for my stocking was 692 silver dimes.. 682 Roosies and 10 mercs. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Re: It's that time of year.. Time for a Silver Santa visit

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:01 am

I know.. I know.. Pics, or it didn't happen. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Z00 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:12 am

NOW, you just remember how cheap you got them when later this month I will be buying a couple of rolls of Rosies. I didnt get any last month because of Christmas shopping, so I may double up this month. :mrgreen:
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:56 am

I like how one of the rolls has "keep" written on it :mrgreen:

Great score, Ton
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby dakota1955 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:19 am

payday for you
dakota1955

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:43 am

Awesome... Just once, would love to have this feeling...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby John Reich » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:39 am

Awesome find!! Just reading that story made my day! Thanks for sharing.
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Postby hirbonzig » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:48 am

Obviously the elderly widow ignored the word "keep" and dragged her recently departed husband's silver to the bank anyways.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:07 am

hirbonzig wrote:Obviously the elderly widow ignored the word "keep" and dragged her recently departed husband's silver to the bank anyways.

the one with keep is the one the teller opened. He was reading it upside down... and it said "peek"
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby slickeast » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:14 am

Now that is a nice Christmas present!!!!!
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Tourney64 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:21 am

Merry Christmas. Wow, I don't have any tellers that give me silver. They keep it for themselves.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:23 am

WOW the old girl dumped $1500.00 worth of silver at the bank for $70.00 My wife plans on doing the same thing. And I don't feel a bit sorry for either one of them.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby twentybux » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:53 am

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:24 am

Darn the tellers around here keeping all the goods! I need to check out some new banks. I could use some extra holiday jingling!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:00 pm

Ha! Well my Penny dump of the morning yielded a special gift from the teller. A factor of 700 below hoards, but he did give me at face a 1951 Rosie that he'd been saving for me! Nice!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby NHsorter » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Thanks for sharing the story hoard! That is incredible. Congrats.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby jacer333 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:16 pm

Incredible haul, congrats. As sweet as that find is, I think it is becoming just as rare to find a great teller like this who is friendly and accommodating to sorters instead of acting as a barrier!
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rsk1963 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:30 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

my ma's gonna hear about this...

Helluva haul congrats!
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby RichardPenny43 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:51 pm

Amazing! :clap:
You must have been good this year. :angel:
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby chris6084 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:12 pm

You have a nice teller. All mine would have kept that. They brag to me about their silver finds. Congrats!
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby uthminsta » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:58 pm

chris6084 wrote:You have a nice teller. All mine would have kept that. They brag to me about their silver finds. Congrats!

Mine too. Good score.
uthminsta

Postby Robarons » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:04 pm

My manager/teller would have gave me the talk that they do not accept such coins at face value or mean to defraud the public, and kept them if an unknowing customer brought them in.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby HPMBTT » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:42 pm

Great story. :) I can definitely relate to your story, the area etc (we've shared a few stories and have a similar mindset on some things). I love December; the silver Santa has already been good to me so far this year (today's take alone was 8 90%, 8 40% and 6 dimes). I usually triple my bank visits this time of the year, as the sheeple always turn in the good stuff....and always spend FRN's that they don't have, in order to buy (mostly crap) that their loved ones don't need. I love the holidays. :)

Congrats!! Keep stacking.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby agmoose » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:35 pm

Morsecode wrote:I like how one of the rolls has "keep" written on it :mrgreen:

Great score, Ton

My dad used to write on paper rolls. Great score, congrats.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:01 pm

I was inspired by your story, so I stopped by the bank that has lots of customer wrapped coins in my town. They had 100 dollars in nickles. Found 3 war nickles. Thanks for inspiring me!
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals