US now prints more $100 bills than $1 bills....

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

US now prints more $100 bills than $1 bills....

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:07 am

Dollar bills may fade from U.S. circulation even if lawmakers ignore a government agency’s opinion that switching to coins would save money.
As the CHART OF THE DAY shows, the number of new bills printed in the latest fiscal year fell 31 percent from a year earlier, according to data compiled by the Treasury Department. The drop to 2.02 billion in the year ended Sept. 30 reflected a trend since fiscal 2000, when the total peaked at 5.19 billion.
“The popularity of ‘everyday’ paper money” has declined as more people use credit cards, debit cards and Internet-based services to pay bills, Nicholas Colas, chief market strategist at ConvergEx Group, wrote two days in a report. He defined everyday money as $1 through $50 bills.
New bills are printed mainly to replace worn-out currency, the New York-based strategist wrote. “This happens more quickly when a bill is circulated and used more often” and vice versa, his report said.
There were more $100 bills printed last fiscal year than any other denomination, according to the government’s data. New $100 bills exceeded new dollar bills for the second time in the past three years, as the chart shows. The dollar bill was the most printed annually from 1980 through 2009.
Using $1 coins in place of bills would save $4.4 billion over 30 years because the money would last longer, according to the Government Accountability Office. The estimate, originally made in February, was cited in the GAO’s testimony last week before a House subcommittee.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-0 ... e-day.html

Just read this story. If you click on the link it also shows a graph of the amount of $100 vs $1 printed every year. I know they have been pushing the dollar coin for longevity issues, but this is the first I have heard of the $100 being used more than the $1. Just thought it was interesting

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: US now prints more $100 bills than $1 bills....

Postby barrytrot » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:10 am

I wish that ALL money had to be backed by a printed bill of some kind. Now that would be cool.

Of course, most "money" is just a blip on a computer screen and organizations can create money out of thin air. Very weird, and not good.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cptindy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:27 pm

"Using $1 coins in place of bills would save $4.4 billion over 30 years because the money would last longer, according to the Government Accountability Office. The estimate, originally made in February, was cited in the GAO’s testimony last week before a House subcommittee."

I found this rather funny. I don't personally see the dollar lasting another 30 years.
"It is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting"
"The average man doesn't want to be free. He wants to be safe."
H.L. Mencken
Cptindy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:41 am

Cptindy wrote:"Using $1 coins in place of bills would save $4.4 billion over 30 years because the money would last longer, according to the Government Accountability Office. The estimate, originally made in February, was cited in the GAO’s testimony last week before a House subcommittee."

I found this rather funny. I don't personally see the dollar lasting another 30 years.

:sick: Very True I guess 2015 or 2016 an gone :cry:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:45 pm

Try to buy something with a $100 bill in downtown Seattle some time. Small shops would not touch them back about 2010.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions