The economy is such crap right now.

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

The economy is such crap right now.

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:14 am

Said it before on here, but I have always sort of seen our businesses sales figures as sort of a leading economic indicator. We sell consumables to large commercial printing & packaging manufacturers. Whether it is coincidence or not, I think that the printing and packaging industry is heavily linked to the overall economy since they have a hand in many facets of business and consumer goods. But anyway...

Business is sh!t. At the end of October, we were on pace to beat last years sales figures by 10%. Now, at the end of the year, we were actually only up 4%. That is how bad Nov & Dec were. They are typically good months for us too. Maybe I am a kook or a hyper partisan, but it seems to me like Obamao got re-elected, and the phones here stopped ringing. :cry:

Anyone else see this?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: The economy is such crap right now.

Postby Tourney64 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:21 am

I thought the economy was completely recovered.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:23 am

Oh, sorry, I forgot to check in with the MSM today. Please disregard my sentiments above. ;)
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:25 am

The commercial properties I maintain in 2 seperate cities are about 50% occupied. Empty parking lots!. I used to have to do all my work on weekends because the lots were full, not now.

I maintain properties that have been empty and for sale for years now. If it wasn't for city appearance codes I surley would have lost thses jobs by now.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby knibloe » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:38 pm

My december sales were down 25% (worst all year). I was on track to have a decent bonus, but no matter what I did, I couldn't shore up December sales (which traditionally are high).

I guess I should look on the bright side. The last two good bonuses that I made were taken away from me and given to others so that they could buy a cash for clunker and a signing bonus on a house that they were going to buy anyway. This way I don't need to feel angst towards anyone taking advantage of "stimulus"
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:45 pm

The gov't played around with the different indicators to make it look like we had recovered. Food and fuel were kept out of the inflation calculation keeping the official rate down. That unrecognized inflation made a lot of other numbers look good.

I think we are in a depression, no matter what the "official" definition is. And it is going to get worse instead of better because the fedgov is just papering over the termite damage. It's not going to last forever.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:58 pm

I think it depends on how your business is run, business type , and region. There are many people also thriving and they like the way they look, I GUARANTEE it ! :lol:
TXBullion

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:49 pm

TXBullion wrote:I think it depends on how your business is run, business type , and region. There are many people also thriving and they like the way they look, I GUARANTEE it ! :lol:

I gotta get me one of dem suits.. it could change my whole perspective. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby barrytrot » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:43 pm

With the stroke of a pen congress just made a lot of businesses have to dig out of a hole. 5% extra taxes is not insignificant!
barrytrot

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:06 pm

TXBullion wrote:I think it depends on how your business is run, business type , and region. There are many people also thriving and they like the way they look, I GUARANTEE it ! :lol:

You'll become the world's most interesting man too.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby copperhead57 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:02 pm

My online sales tanked after the election.
Copperhead57
copperhead57
Penny Collector Member

Postby John_doe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:08 pm

If you think its bad now, give it 6 months to a year.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions