Coinstar luck

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Coinstar luck

Postby njoElec » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:40 pm

So today I had the greatest score at a local grocery store.

I was on my way to buy some lunch and I just happened to walk by the Coinstar machine. Noticing some shopping bags with change. There was also a cup filled with nailgun nails, a guitar pick, staples and a few screws, and that sucker had some old coins in it! Oh and this gets better!

I empty out the cup and lo and behold I found 8 1943 steels, 2 merc's, 1 war nickle and a 80%silver canadian quarter. the shopping bags only yielded a dollar in nickels when I emptied them out. After rummaging through the valuables mixed in with random junk, I bend down and look under the machine - I find a 1946 Washington quarter AND a silver roosie! I thought I searched everything until I walked by a cash register and found another silver roosie on the floor!

Just when I had put every valuable item in my pocket in case someone claimed it, I asked the manager if I could have the nickels in the bag and he said finders keepers! One sad thing is that he couldn't open the coin star machine. I was really bummed because I KNOW there is more silver in that bad boy!!!!

Any of you ever had any luck like that before??

njoElectric
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Coinstar luck

Postby Tantalar » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:47 pm

that is funny. I have never been as lucky as anyone has been on here! Still, I was fortunate enough to find a silver dime at a coinstar one time. I ALWAYS check every time I go near one.
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Postby bman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:42 pm

The only coins I ever find in Coinstar machines are foreign coins and the occasional wheatie.

I have had some great luck at bank coin counting machines though....I got a Morgan dollar and 3 Ike's one time and a 18K & Platinum wedding band another time :mrgreen:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby texcollex » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:02 am

You finding those in the reject slot, or what?
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:56 am

Don't worry.,. there was no silver in that coinstar. Coinstar rejects silver coins. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Dano » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:33 am

Once, i found a pile of foreign coins on the Coinstar machine ledge; someones rejects. But in the midst of that pile were four silver Roosies! I've found single silver dimes and silver quarters in the reject slots periodically over the years. I ALWAYS check the reject slots.
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves."
Dano
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Later » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:59 pm

found a 67 kennedy with some foreign change today in the reject slot
Cu Later
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:13 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Don't worry.,. there was no silver in that coinstar. Coinstar rejects silver coins. :mrgreen:

If this is so, maybe we should save ourselves some time and just take our rolls directly to the Coinstar machine and let it do the sorting???? Anyone willing to experiment with their hoard and let us know??
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Numis Pam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:13 pm

After reading all these coinstar finds threads, I decided to try my luck at checking one... :oops: I felt a little embarrassed at first but... .17 cents later I was hooked!! lol :D I will now have to check at everyone I see!! :shh:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby bookshelf » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:19 pm

Today's find was a Canadian 25 cent piece!
Wanted: current Japanese YEN coins and bills
bookshelf
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:21 pm

I found a Rosie once, and a few odd Canadians and cents, but nothing like that find. That's like the motherlode of Coinstar.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:23 pm

I once found somebody's old gum stuck to the bottom of my 9th grade algebra class desk. Does that count?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:45 pm

shinnosuke wrote:I once found somebody's old gum stuck to the bottom of my 9th grade algebra class desk. Does that count?

only if the old gum had a silver filling embedded in it :shifty:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby SilverJack » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:23 pm

I just found a bunch of canadian coins stacked up on the ledge the other day as well. Next trip to Whistler those will get spent.

As for CoinStar, I contacted their HQ and was told that they do indeed calibrate their machines to reject silver coinage. Now, just how well that works, I'm not commenting on. Nor would I try to guess at what the machine would do with a 40% or 35% coin. I suspect those are taken just like clad. But that's a guess, I'm not in the habit of chucking known silver into a machine like that.
SilverJack

Postby NHsorter » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:43 pm

If it does accurately reject silver, then you could just use a coinstar to sort your dimes for you. Just show up with a box, and crack the rolls as you feed the machine :D
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Numis Pam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:14 pm

NHsorter wrote:If it does accurately reject silver, then you could just use a coinstar to sort your dimes for you. Just show up with a box, and crack the rolls as you feed the machine :D

:lol: I was thinking the same thing.... great minds think alike?? :shifty:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals