Supply Starting To Dry Up

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Supply Starting To Dry Up

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:30 pm

Engineer wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:Rodee, in my haste, there is ONE silver "coin" (ignot) i'm missing.....yours.

i never buy ignots, but what you did with your ignots was pure art.

I have some Rodebars that I'll grudgingly trade for that roll of halves you picked up over the holidays. ;)

When i read this....FOR REAL, i busted out laughing!!! not AT you....no no, it was just funny.....you made me laugh, and THAT, these days is always a gift.

You know what i noticed?, and i'm sure you have too....re:90%'ers...is how dang popular GEM/BU Walking Liberty Half Rolls have gotten....my goodness!! the premium those command?....i just saw the other day, a roll of 194? (i forget the EXACT year) but they traded 75 times....and its not unusual to see them trade 50 to 65 times.

but the spooky thing about some of these Walkings, is that guys will SAY "GEM/BU"....but they're really "AU"'s....you can see the light circ on them....slicks......but still, the coin is a beautiful design, is it not?....why they went to the Franklins, i can never figure out, ugliest coin out there...poor man, he looks like a water head baby.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:19 pm

The suppy better not dry up yet! I haven't stacked enough :o

My LCS still has quite a bit since I checked last....
Last edited by SilverDragon72 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:31 am

Walkers = nicest coin ever minted.

Franks = down right Ugly.

Neil is 100% spot on.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby BlackOut » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:42 am

Rodebaugh wrote:Walkers = nicest coin ever minted.

Neil is 100% spot on.

agree, but I love to see them both just as much when I crack a roll even if ben is fugly.
BlackOut
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:52 pm

BlackOut wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:Walkers = nicest coin ever minted.

Neil is 100% spot on.

agree, but I love to see them both just as much when I crack a roll even if ben is fugly.

oh amen indeed!!!........just got to know that its that 7.23 toz of silver in every 10 dollar face value roll....THAT is the currency i trust.....right NOW? i go along with the whole FRN thing....no problem, all i'm interested in, is taking out the INSURANCE policy that 90% silver American (or 40%'s......65-70 Kennedy Halves, and 40% Silver Ike dollars) coinage has to offer.

Insurance policy, insuring currency, tis why we stack...not an investment, insurance. At least thats the way i look at it.

that said, i again reiterate, Franklin Halves........ugly coin.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby 93_Confirmed » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:01 pm

Just stopped by my LCS to get some 90% and the owner said their all out. :shock: This dealer has always had a vast quantity of 90% so this raises an eyebrow. He was also all out of bullion (except for ASEs).
"When you place an order at NWT, they write it down on a slip of paper and hand it to a guy with a pickaxe who rides off to the Pan American mine on a donkey". - natsb88
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

Postby ScottyTX » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Geeze, I just started listing on CL a few days ago and I'm tapped out. I just had to sell off another hugh chunk of Halliburton stock to replinish funds. I may have some things up for sale here over the next couple of days..
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:58 pm

ScottyTX wrote:Geeze, I just started listing on CL a few days ago and I'm tapped out. I just had to sell off another hugh chunk of Halliburton stock to replinish funds. I may have some things up for sale here over the next couple of days..

I'm inferring that you were buying on CL, and you had no end to offers?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ScottyTX » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:02 pm

68Camaro wrote:
ScottyTX wrote:Geeze, I just started listing on CL a few days ago and I'm tapped out. I just had to sell off another hugh chunk of Halliburton stock to replinish funds. I may have some things up for sale here over the next couple of days..

I'm inferring that you were buying on CL, and you had no end to offers?

Well, it only take a few offers when they're trying to sell in quantities of 200-1500 ounces at a time...sigh. Just had to turn down a guy about 10 mins ago selling a sealed box of Philharmonics and 5 100 oz englehards....
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:16 pm

I think the primary context was high-quality 90%, but I'm surprised to see some mass sellers of .999 hitting your ads like that, right now.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby mbailey1234 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:55 pm

I think there is a lesson to be learned from the gun legislation and how the price of everything has went through the roof. If you wait to stack your PM's to long someday there may not be any left to purchase. And if there is, who knows what type of premium you may have to pay to snag some. The same could be said on a lot of other essential items out there. If you have some extra cash, might as well get it turned in to some goods you can use on down the road IMHO.

I about passed out today when my wife actually said "Guess we should have went ahead and bought that pair of 9mm handguns we looked at last fall. Now the price has about doubled on some of that stuff." :shock: :shock: :shock:

So I say what about all the silver I've purchased that you are constantly ragging on me about? Someday it could be the same situation when people finally realize the paper is worthless. After a moment of a blank stare she says, "Point made!"

This is a huge victory in my camp to get her to admit that. Now I wonder what else I can talk her into letting me buy?? :lol:
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ScottyTX » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:52 pm

68Camaro wrote:I think the primary context was high-quality 90%, but I'm surprised to see some mass sellers of .999 hitting your ads like that, right now.

Yeah strangly enough I'm not seeing much of any 90% out there for sale. There's just not enough of it to go around...it seems. I'm guessing the bulk of the avg Joe's just buy .999 as well though??

Scotty
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:53 pm

mbailey1234 wrote:I think there is a lesson to be learned from the gun legislation and how the price of everything has went through the roof. If you wait to stack your PM's to long someday there may not be any left to purchase. And if there is, who knows what type of premium you may have to pay to snag some. The same could be said on a lot of other essential items out there. If you have some extra cash, might as well get it turned in to some goods you can use on down the road IMHO.

I about passed out today when my wife actually said "Guess we should have went ahead and bought that pair of 9mm handguns we looked at last fall. Now the price has about doubled on some of that stuff." :shock: :shock: :shock:

So I say what about all the silver I've purchased that you are constantly ragging on me about? Someday it could be the same situation when people finally realize the paper is worthless. After a moment of a blank stare she says, "Point made!"

This is a huge victory in my camp to get her to admit that. Now I wonder what else I can talk her into letting me buy?? :lol:

yeh buddy!!! ....i dunno, what else?.....my 2 copper mites?, go for the niner's. but man, the sitrep out there on price...or availability?

its grim.....i saw on gb dot com, 1krounds of fivefivesix offered for 1649....i kid you not, in fact, i'll go back right and look, just to make sure.....no correction, here's the deal with 2 sellers.....one has 1k of sevensixtwo-commie rds for 649! this used to be 250.....and another dealer has fivefivesix in the 1k lot, these are eightfiftyfive's for $1450!!! NOW, i can say, i kid you not!!!....thats 1.45 PER rd!!!
that 1450?...USED to be, 500 to 600...maybe.....and tons of offers.

tell ya what, if wasnt onboard the train, i'd be big time tempted to just bite the ......you know what, and pay the 1450 to 'feed' it.

So yeh Mr.Bailey, there is a HUGE lesson for us NOW, with physical silver...once that train STARTS to leave the station...oh boy, you gotta be on aboard.....now i got a confession to make........i was raised by my dear grandmother, the woman, God rest was an FDR democrat......JFK to me as a toddler and young man was a hero...i LOVE Ike too...but you get where i'm going?

i WAS a democrat...lower case d, i always told people, "i'm a JFK democrat and an Ike republican". i only have TWO political REDLINE issues, the 2nd amendment and Israel....coz i'm a Jew,,,,(now a Jew that follows Jesus)...that was it...two lousy political issues, that i wouldnt even DISCUSS OR REASON with the "other" side.....they have now drove me into the ranks of Republican party, i will NEVER vote democrat again...ever.....this "events" that have brought us to this point?....dont smell right...just like 22Nov 63 NEVER smelled right.

some of you want to bust my balls, thats okay, they should be broke, i voted the way i did in 2012, coz i was kissing the beautiful hindquarters of my son's mother...."see look dear...i HAVE changed....i'm "progressive"....now come back home"....oh please, i'm a fool,and i know it, God only knows what this guy and his minions want to do.

anyway...."Bailey" (i dont know first name brother) but that was a good thing that happened with your Mrs...exploit it for all its worth. respectfully, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:25 pm

just a quick check over at ebay....there's a goodly supply of 90% rolls over there, within a 4 day window....the main seller is "hsturn", he's got a bunch of 1950's GEM/BU Franklins up, "carrieafl" has a bunch of barbers, halves and quarters up for sale....bidding on the Franklins is purty intense, all above 30 times, except for a couple rolls of 63's that are trading at 28 times.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:36 pm

neilgin1 wrote:just a quick check over at ebay....there's a goodly supply of 90% rolls over there, within a 4 day window....the main seller is "hsturn", he's got a bunch of 1950's GEM/BU Franklins up, "carrieafl" has a bunch of barbers, halves and quarters up for sale....bidding on the Franklins is purty intense, all above 30 times, except for a couple rolls of 63's that are trading at 28 times.

I just powersnipe bid 28X on a roll of BU quarters... and got outbid by fifty bucks! :shock:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:20 pm

beauanderos wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:just a quick check over at ebay....there's a goodly supply of 90% rolls over there, within a 4 day window....the main seller is "hsturn", he's got a bunch of 1950's GEM/BU Franklins up, "carrieafl" has a bunch of barbers, halves and quarters up for sale....bidding on the Franklins is purty intense, all above 30 times, except for a couple rolls of 63's that are trading at 28 times.

I just powersnipe bid 28X on a roll of BU quarters... and got outbid by fifty bucks! :shock:

get out!! serious?...i saw THAT roll trading at 25 times, and i dont have ALL the money in the world....but like i wrote 'hsturn" has a bunch of franklins 1 to 3 days out, and "carrieafl" has some g4 Barbers in quarters and halves...the other premium roll sellers?...nothing.

i think we're doing a "switch"....meaning we'll see hi quality 90%'ers go big premium over say .999 bars, whether they are 1's, 5's or 10 toz'ers.

i'm gonna call ya. neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:22 pm

I used to pick up stuff on eBay all the time for spot or under. Its has been at least three months since I've gotten a deal under spot for 90%. Even the cruddy stuff goes over spot now.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:32 pm

agmoose wrote:I used to pick up stuff on eBay all the time for spot or under. Its has been at least three months since I've gotten a deal under spot for 90%. Even the cruddy stuff goes over spot now.

yeh.........never, you'll never come close to getting ANY silver at or under spot on Ebay.

What i find artractive about Ebay, as an ex-floor trader, is that EBay performs much like the exchange USED to, as a middle...i like that.

So i dont mind AT ALL paying up, expecially when its me, bidding against whoever,as long as there is a third party/entity making both sides GOOD in the event one side doesnt make good.

i
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:48 pm

Yeah, it seems that those days are past for sure. I went back and checked. In Oct I picked up six SLQs at about $1.20 under spot for the lot, including shipping. Since then, nothing at or below. Nothing, and I usually surf/search about 6 hrs a week, usually late at night on weeknights. I did get a nice sterling money clip under spot last month though.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:42 pm

Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sterling Silver » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Engineer wrote:The mint has suspended sales of ASEs until Jan. 28.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-01-17/us-mint-out-silver-coins-suspends-sales

Do you think anyone in the supply line will take this time to melt junk coins and scrap?
"I can tell your fancy, I can tell your plain.
You give something up for everything you gain.
Since every pleasures' got an edge of pain,
Pay for your ticket and don't complain." Bob Dylan
Sterling Silver
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:17 pm

Sterling Silver wrote:Do you think anyone in the supply line will take this time to melt junk coins and scrap?

Given the current premiums, I doubt they'll melt the junk coins.

On a side note, Highroller's recent offer of 1.3x face for copper cents also shows strong demand for pennies...but that may have more to do with the launch of a copper ETF than a shortage of silver coins.

Hang on everybody. It's going to be an interesting ride!
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:12 pm

It was about three months back last I was on ebay. I was still able to get silver a buck under spot at the time, just not much of it. Ive gotten deals on ebay that were 7 under spot. That was a box of 250 face of franklins. You have to cast a very wide net if you want to do that, but it was still out there last I tried.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby everything » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:35 pm

I think part of all this is consolidation, I had a buy/sell guy tell me I'll trade all your 90% for my .999, that was 6 months ago. I said why?, he said confiscation, 90% is money, .999 is metal, still never did figure out what he was up to. Over the last few years 90% is getting into stronger hands, even spread out farther, since silver is not going anywhere price wise it's not moving either as little to no profit is to be made on it either. Maybe more of it was melted, we just went through another melt period in 2011.

For some reason silver has really gotten hot, I heard in India they are even stacking silver, maybe the word is out, silver has just as much upside as gold. Also, governments are literally using printing presses to stack gold, except our which is using the printing press to allow investors to buy RE, does anyone get it? Still, with premiums on 90% getting so good, maybe it's time for me to sell my 90% stack and trade it up into .999.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby sambo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:50 am

You can still get 90% at bullion direct nucleous for a reasonable premium.
sambo

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals