Counting my hoard

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Counting my hoard

Postby MrIncredible » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:52 am

I'm thinking of picking up a used Talaris CC2 to make it easier to track the copper to zinc ratio. I assume folks here have experience with this and other sorters/counters. Any recommendations or advice?

My immediate need is simply to automate the counting to give me better insight into copper ratios and track the growth of my copper hoard. But I am also I interested in the coin rolling options on these devices. Do they work effectively enough to be useful or should I just hand roll?
MrIncredible
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Counting my hoard

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:01 am

Some of these decisions are very personal but for private hoards my view is that you don't need to care about ratio to the third decimal place, and weighing gets you close enough to know if you're at 15, 18 or 22%. For counting a scan coin 3xx family counter is ideal. And bagging into HD bank bags in $50 increments is what I've done once I got past the first $200 face; rolling made no sense to me
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby MrIncredible » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:59 pm

68Camaro wrote:Some of these decisions are very personal but for private hoards my view is that you don't need to care about ratio to the third decimal place, and weighing gets you close enough to know if you're at 15, 18 or 22%. For counting a scan coin 3xx family counter is ideal. And bagging into HD bank bags in $50 increments is what I've done once I got past the first $200 face; rolling made no sense to me

Thanks for the idea on weighing to get a sense of the copper ratio - that didn't even dawn on me. I naturally assumed to calculate this you needed an actual a coin count. I plan on storing my hoard in bags so the counters primary use is to assist in loading $50 bags. Rolling is not a planned activity but I was curious on how effective these machines are in facilitating that. I'm definitely in the market for a counter so thanks for the recommendation on the scan coin 3xx.
MrIncredible
Penny Sorter Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Lots of guys on here have ScanCoin 303 machines, and the lucky ones have a Scan Coin 313. Then there are the crazy guys that have a few of each. They will chime in soon. They hoard them up and don't like to share. :D
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:28 pm

NHsorter wrote:Lots of guys on here have ScanCoin 303 machines, and the lucky ones have a Scan Coin 313. Then there are the crazy guys that have a few of each. They will chime in soon. They hoard them up and don't like to share. :D

I have a 313, but I'm also in the market for a 303. :thumbup:

IMHO, The 313 is great for huge batch counts, but the 303 would be a little easier to use for sorting out the bent coins.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby MrIncredible » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:29 pm

Where's the best place to pick one of these up? eBay?
MrIncredible
Penny Sorter Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:07 pm

I got mine on eBay. A good deal can be had with a little patience. If your lucky you can find one here. Also worth a look at Craigslist, you never know.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby jacer333 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:38 pm

Yep, keep your eyes peeled for one to pop up. I was lucky enough to ask the forum for counter advice at the same time a 303 was on ebay and thanks to the tip I snagged that one for about $200.
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:41 pm

NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:12 pm

yeah go with a counter...I was hoarding 303's but let one go in the December KSA. Maybe another one soon.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby MrIncredible » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:55 pm

NHsorter wrote:Here is one but the seller has 0 feedback so it could be a bit risky.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scan-Sc-303-coin-counter-/300847852711?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460bedeca7

Yeah, I saw that one but am not willing to risk it with a seller who set up his eBay account a couple weeks ago, has no feedback, and cannot spell.

What bags do you guys prefer? The Fort Knox look pretty good to me. I'll need some once I snag a counter. For now I'm just storing them in miscellaneous containers.
MrIncredible
Penny Sorter Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:03 pm

I never thought about an actual counter. I just weigh everything and dump em in a couple of big barrels. When we sell ctu's aren't they usually 68# which is "roughly $100 face?" or do most of you actually run them through a counter?
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:06 am

Most of us just have a lot of counters laying around. a CTU is actually supposed to be $100 face.. which is a little over 68 pounds. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby slvrbck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:12 am

I like to just look at it every so often and say. . . yup, got more than I did last time I looked at it. Hoard on friends.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby jacer333 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:48 pm

MrIncredible wrote:
NHsorter wrote:Here is one but the seller has 0 feedback so it could be a bit risky.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scan-Sc-303-coin-counter-/300847852711?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460bedeca7

Yeah, I saw that one but am not willing to risk it with a seller who set up his eBay account a couple weeks ago, has no feedback, and cannot spell.

What bags do you guys prefer? The Fort Knox look pretty good to me. I'll need some once I snag a counter. For now I'm just storing them in miscellaneous containers.

+1 for Fort Knox, only bags I stack my hoard in. :thumbup:
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:58 pm

Buy price - cash out = copper kept... It's pretty easy to figure out your percentages after that.

A good scale can give you a good estimate on your hoard size. A coin counter would be more exact.

As far as storage, I have always re-used the $25 box.... fits 15 lbs nicely, can be transported easily by just about anyone, and stacks better than some other options. One note, be sure to tape the heck out of them if you plan to stack them high :mrgreen:
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby MrIncredible » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:30 am

Can someone help clarify the counting speed of these devices. They all look similar to me...

Delarue Talaris CC2 - up to 1,800 coins per minute (per the eBay listing)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delarue-Talaris-CC2-7494000-Coin-Counter-/190787697978?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6bd53d3a

Brandt Delarue CC1 - up to 2,000 coins per minute (per the eBay listing)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brandt-Delarue-CC1-7493000-Commercial-Coin-Counter-NICE-/200882897288?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec58dc188

Scan Coin 303 - up to 2,700 coins per minute (per the Scan Coin website)

My gut tells me that since these machines look almost identical that the counting speeds cited are just marketing hooey and it really won't matter which one I end up getting (except for condition / accessories). Can someone confirm this assumption?

I'm ready to start counting and bagging my growing hoard for long-term storage and need a counter.

Thanks!!
MrIncredible
Penny Sorter Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:46 am

When you get a counter and count your hoard...you will wonder why you didn't get one sooner...adding to my hoard of counters...I just made a deal for a 313, looking to using it in March....those three above are mostly the same. What is nice about those is they are all plastic...so no tingly feeling when touching the metal parts.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:02 am

fasteddy wrote:When you get a counter and count your hoard...you will wonder why you didn't get one sooner...adding to my hoard of counters...I just made a deal for a 313, looking to using it in March....those three above are mostly the same. What is nice about those is they are all plastic...so no tingly feeling when touching the metal parts.

The only thing I don't like about my 313 is the inability to reach inside to retrieve bent coins or clear doubled up coins from under what I call the knife (the part that goes up and down with the height setting). With that being said, being able to dump in a half bag at a time is very nice.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing