moving advice

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

moving advice

Postby penny pretty » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:21 pm

Im close to buying my first house! Amid all the "crap" Im going through is one nagging question. When I move, how do I explain the 140 lb milk crates full of boxed copper to the movers? I dont have a lot of stuff, but have to hire a mover because of my back(or else I would move them myself) I would like a funny reply to the strange looks I will surely get! Thanks for any help!
Attachments
014.JPG
014.JPG (128.81 KiB) Viewed 891 times
013.JPG
013.JPG (129.82 KiB) Viewed 891 times
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: moving advice

Postby Rosco » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:52 pm

I think you need a hand truck an a truck with a ramp an move it your self before the movers show up, go to a better storage locker an then move again after your in the house.
Get help from Best Friend, Any person can multiply $25 number of boxes an see you have Hundreds dollars there.

Can you find some one from Church or a another stacker close to you

Get more crates an get Wgt down to 150 even on the hand truck
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby RichardPenny43 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Get a friend to help or pay someone you trust. :angel:
I wouldn't trust movers with my copper. :evil:
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:50 pm

I would not trust movers with anything of value. Probably don't want them t know anything of coins or guns. If they are not crooks, they might have friends that are crooks. I know of 3 people that were movers. All 3 were crooks. I am sure there are honest ones, I just have not met any yet.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:00 pm

+1

Like others have said... get a friend or family member to help you move those. Don't trust random people with money. Pennies may be inconvenient to steal, but it's still more than worth the effort...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby iatetacos » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:33 pm

^ above advice. if you live in the arkansas/Missouri area i will come move them for you. if not, find someone close thats honest and not going to steal.
iatetacos
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Romalae » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:35 pm

As a supplement to the testaments above, a friend of mine had his iPhone, much of his small furniture, and various metallic objects stolen by movers a year or two ago and I don't believe he was ever reunited with his possessions. The sad reality is that moving services are largely unreliable -- yes, most of the folks employed by moving services are trustworthy people doing their job, but a few bad apples spoil the bunch, and even the not-entirely criminal-minded ones could justify, "well, if it's only one penny box, they won't notice." It's okay to trust them with the larger items since it'd be so blatantly obvious if they tried to make off with them, but small- to medium-sized items like loads of any form of tangible money is just asking for trouble.

The others have suggested good alternatives. A trustworthy friend or family member would likely be more than happy to help you. Or you could utilize a dolly or some other mechanism that'd make it easier to transport by self.
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Postby doug » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:10 pm

They are in $25 dollar boxes. I am sure you could move them one at a time by yourself.
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Romalae » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:16 pm

doug wrote:They are in $25 dollar boxes. I am sure you could move them one at a time by yourself.

Given that each box is all copper pennies, this should be about 17.15 lbs per box, for the OP's reference (calculations determined by 2,500 [amount of pennies in a box] divided by 145.8 [amount of copper pennies per pound]).
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Postby hobo finds » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:33 pm

Tell them this is how you plan on paying them for the move :lol:
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Engineer » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Seal them up in cardboard boxes and write "books" on the outside. Apple boxes are great for that kind of load.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby justoneguy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:12 am

Where do you live?
I'd be happy to come steal,, ERRR, I mean move your pennies
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Zincanator » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:21 am

Just be careful. I've had to call the cops to get subcontracted movers to leave. It was a Sears/Ryder sub who accused me of shorting their hours (wrongly of course). Very agressive but I would not stand down. Once I had the police on the phone they took off before they could be questioned. I wonder how many people they've duped by bullying...
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby OtusLotus » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:28 am

you could always make several trips by taking one box of pennies to your car... you would have them loaded in no time.

I don't know if that is possible with your back...

Otherwise... split the boxes up amongst other things, so it doesn't look like a hoard.

Or.. you could go to the post office.. get some medium flat rate boxes (not the long skinny ones but the more squarish ones) and put two of the penny boxes in each one and then tape it up. That way, the movers wouldn't know what was inside.
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scyther » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:59 am

Also, maybe spray paint the boxes so they don't say $25 on the outside, if you don't mind them being that way forever...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:48 am

Selling my house... got the same problem.. started with a few gallon jugs in the cellar... there are a crapload of them down there now.... those suckers are heavy!
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:23 am

Diggin4copper wrote:Selling my house... got the same problem.. started with a few gallon jugs in the cellar... there are a crapload of them down there now.... those suckers are heavy!

Ship them to Adam and start again?
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slvrbck » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:40 am

If Ur in the western pa area I'd gladly help a fellow sorter. For one box as payment of course!! : )
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby algae21 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:16 am

I'd definately keep them concealed. I have one too many friends with horror stories involving movers.
algae21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby frugi » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:39 pm

get a nice sturdy box and fill it up with bricks until it weighs as much as possible, tape it securely closed. Then mark on the top in permanent marker: "GOLD BARS"............then box up the pennies in boxes, and mark on the top: PENNIES, if possible try and fit all the pennies in two or three boxes. Tape the "gold" box up really good, and the penny ones as well. Take an inventory of what you have, and hope it arrives. Follow those movers closely, and dont give them the opportunity to steal from you, dont give them 5 seconds alone with your stuff. I would be curious to know how that pans out. On a serious note. Rent your own Uhaul truck, and hire trustworthy people to move it from house to truck. And then from truck to house at new location. And again dont let the movers out of your sight.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:12 pm

Bend....and lift with your legs....not with your back. :clap:

Go to Wally-mart and invest in more milk-crates. Cut your moving weight in half. 140lbs to 70lbs. Just takes up more space. But way easier for you to make a couple trips. The movers might not rip you off.....but they may come back one night you ain't home! :shock:
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:38 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:The movers might not rip you off.....but they may come back one night you ain't home! :shock:
Exactly. Your probably safer just posting up your new address on here than you are having movers, and their friends, knowing exactly what you have and where you have it. The smart ones will even wait a year or two to come back for it.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Primus123 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:52 pm

Have the movers put them into your vehicle for you instead of the truck. Have them unload and watch them, or move them one box at a time yourself. They won't think too much about why you have all these pennies
Primus123
Penny Sorter Member

Postby penny pretty » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:19 pm

justoneguy wrote:Where do you live?
I'd be happy to come steal,, ERRR, I mean move your pennies
OK I will update pictures for the likes of you! :wave:
Attachments
002.JPG
002.JPG (128.64 KiB) Viewed 630 times
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby penny pretty » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:29 pm

WOW! thanks for the tips! I never really considered risks. The funny thing is I will only be moving a mile away, and will be dealing with a local buisness. They will however know my new address, and suspect I might have more coins than just pennies.(my rem 870 will be moved by ME!)
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing