Help the noob

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Help the noob

Postby Frank t » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:52 pm

Been rolling for just over a month now, mostly pennies off the top. rather new to the forum but Love finding those wheaties.no indians but got a 1912 in about good if you hold it up to the light just right its a 1912. a 1958d in au/bu (not a pro grader) all luster!!! and a 80% CANADIAN dime never gonna quit, Just sort more and start sorting silver. almost have a ctu how much will it be to ship roughly, who should i ship with, and hows the market are your guys selling yours?? my coppers include canadians should it or should i keep them on their own. ive also been keeping my shineys and super shineys seperate is their any premium on those yet or should i hold em.any and all advice welcome glad to be here with some likeminded individuals help the noob.
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Re: Help the noob

Postby creshka46 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:40 pm

The best way to ship a CTU is with usps priority flat rate. Max weight for flat rate boxes is 70 lbs and a CTU weighs about 68.6 lbs. A medium box is the perfect size and costs around $12.

Highroller basically just put a floor in the market by offering to buy up to 10 tons for 1.35x face value. So you can sell to him and walk away with about $20 per CTU.

Personally, I've only ever found buyers locally for around 1.35x (but no shipping!). It really just depends on who you find to buy. I've heard of some guys getting up to 2x but that is rare.
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Frank t » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:29 pm

thank you maybe i will try craigslist for a local buyer
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Postby Zincanator » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:36 pm

Are you holding back the shineys to keep or sell? You can always check FeeBay to see what the market value is. I keep the really bright ones and sort them by year in pill boxes from the dollar store. Then when I feel like filling a coin book (like the 1959-98 volume), it's fast and the coins all AU/BU. I separate the Canadians. I also pull out the 1982's and roll those coppers in their own marked rolls. Just a few habits I've formed as I enjoy this great hobby!
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:49 am

Zincanator wrote:Then when I feel like filling a coin book (like the 1959-98 volume), it's fast and the coins all AU/BU. I separate the Canadians. I also pull out the 1982's and roll those coppers in their own marked rolls.

I like the idea of filling the coin book. Knew there was a reason I was saving the AU/BUs. I seperate and keep the CAs also. I take the 82's a step further though and save them all. Currently rolled but not seperated by veriety. A quick ebay check shows 7 coin veriety sets of 82s priced from around $6 to $36.

Another reason I save them all is the avg coin last about 25 years before it is literally worn out. I understand the zincs last even less. 82's being the first year minted have been the longest zinc cent in circualtion and always will be. Add to this, the zinc '82 wasn't minted until October of that year and you should have a low number (compared to other years) of zinc 82s left in circulation and decreasing. Havn't seen the actual mintage numbers. It's been just over a hundred years since the 1909 penny was minted. The '82 is over a quater of the way there now.

Always interested in other's thoughts here. Mine tend to be limited to my own life experience and awareness. :roll:
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Zincanator » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:53 am

You seem to have it figured out on the 82s. I do the same thing off the same observation!

Do you keep the 2009s?
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby johnbrickner » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:35 am

Zincanator wrote:Do you keep the 2009s?

I like the way you think.

And this is why I appreciate the feedback. I was unaware. :o As of today I do.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Frank t » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:19 pm

smart !!! me too
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing