How are you celebrating the Canadian One Cent coin?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

How are you celebrating the Canadian One Cent coin?

Postby fonestar » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:04 pm

Did a drop of my final two boxes of steel/zinc pennies today. The girl at the till (who has gotten me thousands of dollars face value), "well I guess that's it for your pennies eh?" I responded, "yeah, I think I'm going to get some nickels now". She didn't look too happy for some reason. :)
fonestar

Re: How are you celebrating the Canadian One Cent coin?

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:11 pm

I'm planning to look into the legality of smelting them. While the pennies remain legal tender, the real question is are they "current" or have they been "called in". If called in, they are no longer protected by the law.

They can be exported for sure, and then the buyer outside Canada can do whatever they want to recycle them.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby fonestar » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:16 pm

JadeDragon wrote:I'm planning to look into the legality of smelting them. While the pennies remain legal tender, the real question is are they "current" or have they been "called in". If called in, they are no longer protected by the law.

They can be exported for sure, and then the buyer outside Canada can do whatever they want to recycle them.

I'm just going to sit on mine, probably for quite some time. I think selling now would be like selling your silver in 1965, sure you could make a profit but the best is yet to come.
fonestar

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:35 pm

fonestar wrote:
JadeDragon wrote:I'm planning to look into the legality of smelting them. While the pennies remain legal tender, the real question is are they "current" or have they been "called in". If called in, they are no longer protected by the law.

I'm just going to sit on mine, probably for quite some time. I think selling now would be like selling your silver in 1965, sure you could make a profit but the best is yet to come.

Ya, i'm not selling out. I just like to know my options :)
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:54 pm

How do I celebrate? Stack more and make plans to get more from a trip to CA in the spirng.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby rickygee » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:27 pm

Celebrate???!!! GUINNESS Extra Stout! I knew there was a reason I 'tuned in' to RC this evening!

Heading to the Pony Keg for some brews. Have to hoist a few in honor of the Canadian penny. BTW all the Guinness Extra Stout in Central KY comes from Canada not Ireland. :thumbup:
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby John_doe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:07 pm

fonestar wrote:

:thumbup: +1
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Zincanator » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:53 pm

I'll just hold on to the ones I've found (about a tupperware bowl full). May never be worth much but do make a good story to tell the kids later.
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby scyther » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:08 pm

I'm glad that I've saved every Canadian penny I've come across so far, other than some really ugly zinc/steels. Do to the magnets in coin counters here, I get about 4X more copper than zinc, and only about 4 steels so far. So it doesn't hurt to keep every 1. Maybe they'll all be worth something some day. If not... whatever.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby MetalJunkie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:45 pm

as for any numismatic value i really doubt it but you never know maybe all the 1997-2012 will be worth more sown the road cause everyone sends them back and the copper will only be worth copper because everyone kept them lol
MetalJunkie

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing