90% becoming hard to find?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

90% becoming hard to find?

Postby DebtFreeMe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:46 pm

I know there is another thread on this, but it seems to have turned off the subject... So...

Has anyone else had problems finding people in the public that are willing to sell their 90% silver? I haven't been able to get anything but a few quarters from my regular supplier, and he is still getting gold coins, and gold and silver jewelry, but no one has been bringing in any silver coins.

Just curious if this is just a bad luck thing in my area, or if it is a trend in other areas?

Thanks,

DFM
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Re: 90% becoming hard to find?

Postby beauanderos » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:56 pm

ebay has slowed down to a trickle on large lots... hardly anything listing over $100 compared to how it used to be. :cry:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Nope. I've been able to get whatever quantity I wanted at the time. So far, the supply has not dried up here yet. :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:18 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:Nope. I've been able to get whatever quantity I wanted at the time. So far, the supply has not dried up here yet. :thumbup:

where are you? and are they charging you a premium to melt? There is no shortage... at the right price :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby bgretz1989 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:28 pm

100 dollar face bags sold by me currently at 24 .5 times melt! I'm not seein a shortage
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Postby DebtFreeMe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:39 pm

Ya, I wouldn't pay 24.5x for $100 face. I'm sure at that price I wouldn't have a shortage problem.

Let me put my question a different way. Is anyone still finding, at or below melt deals out there?

I hate to pay a premium for much of anything, I like to buy things that I know I've already made money on as soon as I buy it.
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:40 pm

beauanderos wrote:
SilverDragon72 wrote:Nope. I've been able to get whatever quantity I wanted at the time. So far, the supply has not dried up here yet. :thumbup:

where are you? and are they charging you a premium to melt? There is no shortage... at the right price :lol:

Well, I recently paid 24x face for some 64 dimes a few days ago. This was at one of our LCS in Madison, WI.

Not sure if I paid too much.... :?
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:12 pm

DebtFreeMe wrote:I know there is another thread on this, but it seems to have turned off the subject... So...

Has anyone else had problems finding people in the public that are willing to sell their 90% silver? I haven't been able to get anything but a few quarters from my regular supplier, and he is still getting gold coins, and gold and silver jewelry, but no one has been bringing in any silver coins.

Just curious if this is just a bad luck thing in my area, or if it is a trend in other areas?

Thanks,

DFM

no...there have been quite a few quality rolls of AMERICAN 90's on Ebay at this time.....you might just have to pay up, thats all.....lemme tell ya...in a bull market...i dont even think twice about hitting the offer....or ramping my bid to blow any other bidders away....you just do it, you dont think....when physical silver is trading anywhere from 35 to 45 in retail lots on its way to 500 an ounce?

i dont think...i just buy, and they ARE there on Ebay.........watch out for the "cappers" in the "roll" section, those schweinhunds should be put in stocks...the wooden kind, not equities.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 pm

I think there's a seasonal aspect to the current premiums.

How many of us are waiting for prices to pop up in the spring?
How many of you will be buying silver with your tax return?
Will there be less supply with tax returns going out to the poor people?
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:22 pm

Tax return? Psssh, I get to mail in a check. I wish I could send them zincs......

But back on topic, deals at melt are few and far between online. Maybe at the flea markets and pawn shops.......maybe.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:42 pm

I've been working this silver thing on a couple of fronts. My LCS has still shuttered his outgoing US90% sales, so let's keep that one on hold for awhile.

I've been buying what I can when I can at the seemingly going rate of 22X to 23.5X. Also dabbling in e-Bay bidding on what appears to be a surplus at the time. My recent target has been Roosie dimes. Those are about as unexciting as it gets. Lots of circ silver dime rolls at any time and I've been able to pick up several in the $107-112 range. Even when I have to pay for postage it's only just a coupe of FRNs.

No one knows how long any trend will continue. I'm there trying to take advantage of the current ones and educating myself about what may happen next. I gave my non-working crystal ball to one of the recent political campaigns. They won in spite of it. Anyway, I've resorted to using my brain in matters of the metals. I may or may not have future regrets about that decision.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby db23 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:30 pm

I was in an LCS yesterday, owner pulled out huge buckets of quarters & halves - this dealer isn't going through a shortage. The buckets of halves were separated by type (wlh, franklin, '64 Ken). I don't buy 90% so I didn't bother to ask how much he was charging for it. :oops:

Must have been a few thousand dollars face, and that's just what he had out front. :shock:
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:50 pm

I will allocate a portion of my return to the acquisitions of more shiny!

Spend a little, save a little, shave off some debt. A balanced approach! :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:32 am

Cleaned out my LCS of junk 90% Monday. Left some slick barber half's and ugly stuff. Paid $23 x face no delivery. He says he turns everything over as quick as he gets any.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hirbonzig » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:02 am

My LCS has only 90% halves left at 24X. Any dimes and quarters he gets in get snapped up by a guy who must have 5 or 6 bags of junk silver by now.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:11 pm

I just noticed Provident's premium is now $1.70 over spot. I don't remember what it was back when I started checking, but I'm pretty sure it was under a dollar. It gradually rose to the unthinkably high $1.50, then stayed there for a while, and now this. Expensive indeed.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NJstacker22 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:17 pm

I have definitely noticed a shortage in 90%. It seems that there is a lot of thing 'talk' going around and people are holding on for dear life. Figures, I just decided I wanted to start loading up on 90% and I cannot find it anywhere :/ It can certainly be had from the big online dealers but your going to pay the big online dealers prices (premiums AND shipping) which can most of the time absolutely kill any type of deal that they are offering.

In my local area, craigslist has 10x's more posts BUYING 90% than selling 90%... this absolutely tells me there is a shortage, especially on the private market. My personal opinion, as people continue to melt 90% down it will become harder and harder to find.... and to me this means the premiums will continue to rise. I plan to buy and hold all my 90% for a LONG LONG time. .999 can always be replicated... 90% cannot. What's left is what's left and its really as simple as that.

GL.
NJstacker22

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals