1 article to convince somone to buy silver and gold

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

1 article to convince somone to buy silver and gold

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:34 pm

I am sure you guys have run into friends who are skeptics about investing in silver and gold.

I have one friend who argues that you can't go down to the store and take your silver in there and buy groceries.

If you had just ONE good SUCCINCT article to give to someone you were trying to convince, what article would it be?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: 1 article to convince somone to buy silver and gold

Postby Dvorak » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:03 pm

Pennysaved wrote:I am sure you guys have run into friends who are skeptics about investing in silver and gold.

I have one friend who argues that you can't go down to the store and take your silver in there and buy groceries.

If you had just ONE good SUCCINCT article to give to someone you were trying to convince, what article would it be?

Not an article, but if the "Melt Up" video by the guys at the National Inflation Association (www.inflation.us) doesn't scare them into at least considering it, they are likely beyond hope.

To not being able to go down to the store and buy groceries with silver--this may be true. But you can go to many places, convert your silver into FRNs and proceed with your purchase.

Now, what happens when the store stops taking FRNs due to hyper inflation rendering them near worthless? Or worse, what happens when there is no store?
Dvorak
Penny Sorter Member

Postby agmoose » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:52 am

And, as we all know, a TSHTF scenario "may" never happen to us, but wouldn't it sure be alot better to at least be prepared to cope with it on some level than ignoring it all together? I try to take a balance and prepare to both economic disaster and economic prosperity, .... some eggs in each basket.....just in case when I'm 65 and the stock market is at 20K it'll pay off for me, or if when I'm 65 and remembering back to the days when there was a stock market, and greenbacks. Prepare for the worst, pray for the best.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby uthminsta » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:49 am

This page may become the article you're looking for.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:00 am

You did your job.

If you friends argument is no better than you can't go the the store with silver than he is refusing to understand.

You should show him a 100 bill and say very soon you will not be able to buy a tank of gas with this. Than show him 5 silver quarters a express that with the 1.25 in silver you will.

Did you tell him how easy it is to sell the stuff?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:19 am

Yeah I did tell her how easy it was to sell; I talked her into investing in some silver when it was down at $13 so you would think with those kind of returns she would see the light :-)

Problem is both of my friends just bought silver eagles and philharmonics because they were "pretty". Granted they are pretty but I definitely invest in silver and gold besides the beauty of the coins.

My argument was even if you don't use it to directly barter, we are preserving our purchasing power. I told her to compare the U.S. dollar to Canadian dollar exchange. Back in 2002, I think it was $0.62 U.S dollar to $1 Canadian dollar. Now we are on about par.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby aristobolus » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:54 pm

aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Metalhead » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:09 am

I read this the other day when I googled "history of money". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_money It was very informative, and does not force you to draw conclusions one way or the other. Although, the conclusion I did draw from this is that all FIAT money is doomed for failure, so why would you not want to trade it in for something commodity based, something that can be traded for real.
Metalhead

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals