Chinese Fakes?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Chinese Fakes?

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:08 pm

Gang,
off of my PCGS thread, what do you know about American silver coinage that has been hit by Chinese counterfeits/fakes?

i've heard of 1921 Morgans being counterfeited, anything else?

gratefully, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: Chinese Fakes?

Postby barrytrot » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:13 pm

Everything.

That's another reason that PCGS graded is KEY.

And to those that say, "well they can just copy the holder", true, but if the coin is imaged by PCGS (most are now) then you can pull up the certification number and if it's not the same coin then you know it's a fake.

I would say PCGS + TrueView is 100% counterfiet proof since the PCGS.com verification has a record of the number and if the coin isn't the same coin then it's easy to tell.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby rollsroy9 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Yeah pretty much all pre-64 silver and copper US coins have been faked and are easy to buy in bulk. They may not be good fakes but they are fakes.
rollsroy9
Penny Pincher Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:01 pm

barrytrot wrote:Everything.

That's another reason that PCGS graded is KEY.

And to those that say, "well they can just copy the holder", true, but if the coin is imaged by PCGS (most are now) then you can pull up the certification number and if it's not the same coin then you know it's a fake.

I would say PCGS + TrueView is 100% counterfiet proof since the PCGS.com verification has a record of the number and if the coin isn't the same coin then it's easy to tell.

"everything"?....oh noooooo. okay then.

thank you, dear friend Barry, my mind is made up. PCGS it is......now, "TrueView", thats the cyber magnification tool i used when looking at some Kennedys?

if yes, that sure was a nice feature and worked quite handily i might say.

okay then, i'm sold. Going to go for the year membership and play now! thanks my brother, have a great weekend, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:02 pm

rollsroy9 wrote:Yeah pretty much all pre-64 silver and copper US coins have been faked and are easy to buy in bulk. They may not be good fakes but they are fakes.

thanks bro...lemme say this again.......oh nooooo.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals