Hunkering down in Blizzardland

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Hunkering down in Blizzardland

Postby Diggin4copper » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:33 pm

I picked up 2 bags at the bank today.. will give me something to do between shovelling expeditions...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Hunkering down in Blizzardland

Postby NHsorter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:51 pm

I plan to go out and accumulate as much coinage as possible in the AM before the snow flies. Taking the day off from work. While I am out begging tellers for change, I will top off my gas cans. Power could go out for a 2 weeks and I would still have heat, power, food & water. My only fear is that I will probably only be able to gather up enough coinage to last me a day or two. Well, I guess I could always tap into the stack of nickel bricks or do another audit of "Fort Knox". I also have over a ton of coppers that have not had the wheats pulled in case I get REALLY desperate.

Note to self: beer stash is desperately low - must replenish in the morning before it starts to snow. What happened? last time I checked, there was plenty of beer!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:58 pm

Let me just say, the hysteria that is being broadcast on the radio is off the charts. I get it, big storm coming. But if this fizzles out I will lose all respect for the local media. Oh wait, that ship has already sailed. "ThunderSnow" "Snowmageddon" "Hurricane Force Winds" Governor asking for everyone to completely vacate the roads... before the first flake even lands! Sucks to be right in the city though. Sorry for you saps.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby GGerrands » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:23 pm

Sorting with you in spirit down in the balmy 70 degree F swamps.
GGerrands
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:25 pm

GGerrands wrote:Sorting with you in spirit down in the balmy 70 degree F swamps.
One word. Hurricanes! :lol:
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:40 pm

Each major power outage is more fun than the last. A good opportunity to test preparedness systems. I have a solid list of chores for the morning and then the fun begins. If the power does not go out at all it will kind of be a let down, after all of this hype.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby njo.electric » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:26 am

NHSorter -

Who do you have for electric? My guess would be PSNH! I've heard good things about them, even met a few guys who worked for them on my trip to New England last year! Two weeks without power would suck - I haven't had an outage in Utah like that.....yet. Good luck!!

Nick
Lineman by trade, crazy by nature. Student for now..

Piss on worthless fiat toilet paper, I'd rather have METAL any day.
njo.electric

Postby theo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:02 am

NHsorter wrote:Each major power outage is more fun than the last. A good opportunity to test preparedness systems. I have a solid list of chores for the morning and then the fun begins. If the power does not go out at all it will kind of be a let down, after all of this hype.

I'll be looking for updates from you and the others RCers in that area. Hope your power holds. A winter outage is no fun. Stay safe and good luck sir.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:55 am

NJO - I do have PSNH and they are not bad but our power lines come in down a long dirt road and we are the last house on the line. When trees start getting blown down all over the place it usually means at least a day or two for us. Worst one was 8 days. We are just the bottom of the totem pole for them.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:26 am

As a former New Englander (lived in MA,VT and NH), I feel for you NHsorter. If it means anything to you, I woke up today to an unexpected 3 inches of the white...stuff. Keep sorting, keep stacking my friend.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:37 am

Not that I need reminding but thanks anyways....why I live in Texas. Wearing t-shirt, shorts and crocs today 8-) and since I store more beer in the fridge, I won't lose it in the snow bank :D
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:30 am

Be happy. That's the kind of weather that keeps Californians in......California!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:45 am

Only getting 8-13" here in Rochester, NY. Just started snowing
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:51 am

The North East can not catch a break weather wise... hope all is well with the folks in NJ and NY that are still trying to recover from Sandy. Stay warm up there.
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dbalek » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:11 am

Quoted by one of our local News Weatherman/idiot "According to my model, Four feet is not out of the question!"
dbalek

Postby coppertone » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:31 pm

Not in blizzardland, wrong part of the continent, but I could if I wanted to (I don't!!) reach up and grap the overhead powerlines on my street.... from the snowbank on my lawn. Hope spring comes early.
coppertone
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Hoosier » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:45 pm

Went out to grab a few boxes before the storm and all my banks were already closed. :thumbdown:
Hoosier

Postby NHsorter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:52 pm

silverflake wrote:As a former New Englander (lived in MA,VT and NH), I feel for you NHsorter. If it means anything to you, I woke up today to an unexpected 3 inches of the white...stuff. Keep sorting, keep stacking my friend.

Thanks silverflake, but don't feel bad for me. I'll likely have to do some roof-shoveling and that is never fun, but really a couple feet of snow would not cause me too much trouble. I got everything squared away this morning. Had great luck at the banks I hit today and have almost $1000 to sort now, so that is cool. The vast majority of my customers are in New England, so I have had almost nothing to do in terms of phone calls & email so that is nice!
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby penny pretty » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:28 pm

though not in the "bad region" they closed the factory early tonight( 6PM instead of 11 PM) just like a snow day! got about a foot here in NY so far.
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:56 pm

We are in a blizzard warning here too. Starts tomorrow night and goes through Monday. Suppose to get 12 -18 inches of snow and winds over 50 mph. Darn global warming.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:27 pm

NDFarmer wrote:We are in a blizzard warning here too. Starts tomorrow night and goes through Monday. Suppose to get 12 -18 inches of snow and winds over 50 mph. Darn global warming.
Sounds like a normal summer day for ND, right?
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby christostock » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:33 pm

well, I've shoveled 4 times so far. The last time was a lot more than the previous.
starting to get heavy and fall quicker.
winds are also picking up.

I'm about an hour from NHSorter.
I was gonna buy a snowblower this year but it just didn't snow much, until today.

Just saw the house lights blink a little.
Might be here later but then again, just never know.
Stay warm everybody.
Be safe.
PEACE
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:33 pm

NHsorter wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:We are in a blizzard warning here too. Starts tomorrow night and goes through Monday. Suppose to get 12 -18 inches of snow and winds over 50 mph. Darn global warming.
Sounds like a normal summer day for ND, right?

Right the temperature is going to be in the twenties. That's warmer than we have been in awhile.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Diggin4copper » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:27 pm

lights are blinking, shoveled the walk, but Im not getting the snowblower out till tomorrow...we have about 8 or 10 inches here so far, I have to shovel the roof, but I have a ranch and a snow rake, so it isnt bad...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheba » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:37 pm

To all the NE US RC friends ... a serious wish and prayer that you all stay safe and warm. I've been in enough blizzards in my 69+ years to not look lightly on this so called super-storm. NDFarmer, same to you, but you are more used to this aren't you?

The very best to all of you that may be affected.

As another has already said ... be safe and keep warm (if possible)! :)
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing