Hunkering down in Blizzardland

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Hunkering down in Blizzardland

Postby xippi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:59 pm

Doing ok here in Mass im a few towns south of Christostock just west of Boston. Ive been out twice to do walk and clean up after the plow. Im due to go out again soon or I might just have a Jameson instead. We got about 12 inches and still coming down hard. cable internet and power all good, x-fingers.

Xip
xippi
Penny Collector Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:27 pm

Went into bank after work this a.m. to dump a few bags light flakes going in 2 to 3 inches when leaving. O.k. maybe I shouldn't put so much in the bags. Driving home I was sorry not to have that weight in the trunk. Woke tonight and there was a good foot plus. Wish they would close my factory. Should have picked up some new trunk weights.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dakota1955 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:14 am

I believe that we are to get about 10" of snow and the wind. Will have to wait and see.
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby CU Baker » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:46 am

NDFarmer wrote:We are in a blizzard warning here too. Starts tomorrow night and goes through Monday. Suppose to get 12 -18 inches of snow and winds over 50 mph. Darn global warming.

Ron shut the gate over there so that crap don't come into Minn. Just starting a big batch of chili if the power goes out a least we will have plenty of gas. :lol:
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:27 am

CU Baker wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:We are in a blizzard warning here too. Starts tomorrow night and goes through Monday. Suppose to get 12 -18 inches of snow and winds over 50 mph. Darn global warming.

Ron shut the gate over there so that crap don't come into Minn. Just starting a big batch of chili if the power goes out a least we will have plenty of gas. :lol:

If the storm follows the path it is suppose to take you should be right in the worst of it just like me.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CU Baker » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:37 am

Just got 14 in plus a week ago, don't need any more.
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:43 am

CU Baker wrote:Just got 14 in plus a week ago, don't need any more.

So did we. We are just getting the roads passable from the last snowfall. We don't need anymore either.
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:35 pm

We are dug out. I estimate that we got 18". Drifts everywhere so hard to know for sure. South of us was worse. LOTS of shoveling today. Snow drifts on one section of my roof was about 3 feet because of the way the roofs are configured. My back hurts like hell, but I got all the snow off so now we don't need to worry about ice dams.

Never lost power. My parents did for a couple hours and the are only a few miles away. So overall this turned out better than expected. Snow was not sticky so it did not build up on trees and power lines. If it did, the whole region would be powerless.

The kids are freaking out. They love all of this snow. The guinea hens are freaked out too and they won't leave their house. Pretty funny. Hand sorted 800 in dimes and got 4 silvers so I am a happy camper.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:27 pm

I heard they have a great snow removal system in North Dakota . . . It's called summer. :lol:

All kidding aside. We are in the Syracuse NY area and got about 8". Nothing to sweat about.

Used to live in south central MA. Worcester hills area near the CT border. Had a tornado about a 1/2 mile wide (http://photos.masslive.com/republican/2 ... ass_4.html) come about about 2 miles or so from the house and we would always get more snow than predicted. Shoveling snow from the roof was always a fun project given the grade of the roof. I remember my 30 yard driveway. It was an hour shoveling for each inch of snow.

I have yet to wear gloves this winter. That was a mistake on at least one occasion.

All my best to you all who live in the North East. It's not easy, and makes for a rugged life at times. You were prepping before it was popular.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:33 am

Here in southern Wisconsin, we had a mix of slush, sleet, rain and finally some snowfall. It made the roads all mushy and soaking wet, then slippery when the temperatures dropped down to almost zero.....

Today, the temps are closer to 34 degrees....the snow is starting to melt now. Wisconsin weather, how typical! :?
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CU Baker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:45 am

Well here we go again, two inches in the last hour and the wind has not picked up yet. About a qt mile visability now just with the snow fall. If Canada didn't blow and North Dakota didn't suck, we would never have any wind. :thumbup: :lol:
( thats for you Ron)
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:51 am

Storm is starting to pick up here now. Got about 8 inches of snow and visibility is dropping. Can only see about 500 - 600 feet. Got a power line that runs across the front of my yard. There is a power line pole that is about 250 feet from my house when I can no longer that pole then we have a pretty good storm going. I can still see it but it is getting harder to see it. Supposed to snow all day and the wind is supposed to pick up toward evening and blow 50 mph until tomorrow afternoon. Hope people are smart enough to stay home. When they go out and get stranded they not only put their own lives in danger but they also endanger the lives of people that have to go out and rescue their dumb ass.
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:53 am

CU Baker wrote:Well here we go again, two inches in the last hour and the wind has not picked up yet. About a qt mile visability now just with the snow fall. If Canada didn't blow and North Dakota didn't suck, we would never have any wind. :thumbup: :lol:
( thats for you Ron)

I thought it was our neighbors to the east that created all the wind. :o :clap:
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:56 am

"johnbrickner » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:27 pm
I heard they have a great snow removal system in North Dakota . . . It's called summer. "

I heard that ND has 4 seasons - winter, winter, winter and mosquito.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:41 pm

Z00 wrote:"johnbrickner » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:27 pm
I heard they have a great snow removal system in North Dakota . . . It's called summer. "

I heard that ND has 4 seasons - winter, winter, winter and mosquito.

You are right. There is only about two weeks out of the year that we can use our deck. Otherwise the other 50 weeks it is either too cold or the mosquitoes carry you off if you sit outside. I don't know why anybody would want to live here.
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CU Baker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:42 pm

NDFarmer wrote:I thought it was our neighbors to the east that created all the wind.

I guess your right those dang cheese heads. 8-)
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:41 pm

CU Baker wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:I thought it was our neighbors to the east that created all the wind.

I guess your right those dang cheese heads. 8-)

Cheeseheads rule, everyone knows this.... :P
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:11 am

There's a quarter inch of ice on the walks here, and the snow is just starting. Winds are supposed to get up to 30mph.

Tomorrow would be a good day to hide inside with netflix and cocoa...but it may be worth venturing out for a couple bags of coins. :)
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CU Baker » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:01 pm

Five hrs of snow blowing and about a third of area left. Thank god for having th SWEOT for the extr energy.
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CU Baker » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:05 pm

20 Inches last night with 35 mile an hr winds, three to four foot drifts. Five hrs of snowblowing with about a third of the area left, and still have too get a couple of feet off the roof of the house.
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing