How do you tell if a coin has been cleaned?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

How do you tell if a coin has been cleaned?

Postby scyther » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:15 pm

I've been getting a few nickels lately that look like they're in mint condition... really nice and shiny... but I wonder if they're too nice and shiny. It's happened sometimes with pennies too. I'd like to replace the ones I have in my collection with these new ones, but obviously not if they've been cleaned. So how can I tell?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: How do you tell if a coin has been cleaned?

Postby dannan14 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:40 pm

scyther wrote:I've been getting a few nickels lately that look like they're in mint condition... really nice and shiny... but I wonder if they're too nice and shiny. It's happened sometimes with pennies too. I'd like to replace the ones I have in my collection with these new ones, but obviously not if they've been cleaned. So how can I tell?

Thanks for asking, i'd like an expert opinion on this question as well. One thing i can say is that when i look at a coin with my loupe sometimes i see many fairly parallel scratches. i've always assumed these were marks from cleaning with something abrasive. But what about chemical cleaners or electrolytic cleaning? i've got no idea how to tell when those methods are used.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby scyther » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:44 pm

dannan14 wrote:
scyther wrote:I've been getting a few nickels lately that look like they're in mint condition... really nice and shiny... but I wonder if they're too nice and shiny. It's happened sometimes with pennies too. I'd like to replace the ones I have in my collection with these new ones, but obviously not if they've been cleaned. So how can I tell?

Thanks for asking, i'd like an expert opinion on this question as well. One thing i can say is that when i look at a coin with my loupe sometimes i see many fairly parallel scratches. i've always assumed these were marks from cleaning with something abrasive. But what about chemical cleaners or electrolytic cleaning? i've got no idea how to tell when those methods are used.

I've been mostly avoiding ones with that type of texture, but I recently accepted a penny like that... getting impatient with the zincs... I'm thinking maybe if it was cleaned with a brush or something, it would have a more circular/all over he place pattern of scratches. But I really don't know...
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Broseph » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:04 am

If you clean a few coins yourself, you can get a good idea.
Big score of silver! Video below!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR_trSkCkHI
Broseph
Penny Sorter Member

Postby scyther » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:23 am

Broseph wrote:If you clean a few coins yourself, you can get a good idea.

How should I clean them?
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Broseph » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:27 am

First off, make sure there is nothing valuable about the coin you are going to wash.
Second, try all the bad ideas that people use to clean coins. Lemon juice, vinegar, some acid soak type of cleaning.
Then you can use barkeepers friend or some baking soda and see a soak/scrub type. The scrubbing is usually gentle with soft a cloth, more of a rubbing, but can still be noticed in contrast to a normal coin.
Big score of silver! Video below!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR_trSkCkHI
Broseph
Penny Sorter Member

Postby willy13 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:14 pm

vinager will leave a dull finish to a coin.
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Zincanator » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:40 pm

The very fine parallel scratches, sometimes only visible at a certain angle, are a give-away. Also if a coin is worn, but clean as if uncirculated, obviously somebody shined it up.
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing