What would be the best hedge against inflation

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What would be the best hedge against inflation

Postby Frank t » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:43 am

i would like your opinion on what would be the best hedge against inflation / long term investment??? PM's vs. stocks Vs. goods. 90% for its numismatic, .999 for its pm/ melt/ practical applications, copper for the difference (when i can use it fully), gold, stocks of interest ( not leaning towards), quality merchandise of any sort, ammo of high demand, anything else you can think of ??? coin rarity and quality vs. melt? if a world currency was issued would that crush numismatic value? are we leading to that?

links and discussion encouraged

opinions and experiences preferred
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Re: so...

Postby OtusLotus » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:37 pm

my buddy bought puts on SLW to hedge against his silver purchases.
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: What would be the best hedge against inflation

Postby Engineer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:40 pm

Tools and useful items of enduring quality.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:37 pm

Engineer wrote:Tools and useful items of enduring quality.

Brewing equipment.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby thedrifter » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:40 pm

A copper still? :clap:

OneBiteAtATime wrote:

Brewing equipment.
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:43 pm

Actually I will second the "brewing equipment", but with a bit more elaboration:

ANYTHING that allows you to PRODUCE SOMETHING that is valuable in all economies.

Neilgen must be asleep already or he would be giving a flowery dissertation on the merits of "wood" and "protein" and he's absolutely right (ON THAT, not on everything :)

If you put your money in something that will produce income for you that's the absolute best hedge. And "income" also means stuff you yourself consume as that normally costs you money, so you are your own customer.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:45 pm

barrytrot wrote:Actually I will second the "brewing equipment", but with a bit more elaboration:

ANYTHING that allows you to PRODUCE SOMETHING that is valuable in all economies.

Neilgen must be asleep already or he would be giving a flowery dissertation on the merits of "wood" and "protein" and he's absolutely right (ON THAT, not on everything :)

If you put your money in something that will produce income for you that's the absolute best hedge. And "income" also means stuff you yourself consume as that normally costs you money, so you are your own customer.

Yeah, that's what I said. Gees, Barry. :roll:
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:50 pm

I assume you are joking about not upset, right?
barrytrot

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:51 pm

Right, Barry, joking. Hate that my sarcasm is lost online.... Oh well.

Totally just joking around. :thumbup: :D
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:12 pm

The Faraday bags on this page for some of your electronic preps.

http://www.disasterstuff.com/store/pc/E ... s-c128.htm

I am a customer of this website, but do not receive anything for the foregoing endorsement. Bob, the owner doesn't even know I just posted this. He is on another prepping site I visit.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SteelCityCopper » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:15 am

shinnosuke wrote:The Faraday bags on this page for some of your electronic preps.

I am a customer of this website, but do not receive anything for the foregoing endorsement. Bob, the owner doesn't even know I just posted this. He is on another prepping site I visit.

These have received mixed reviews. Go with a metal trash can and be done with it. Larger, cheaper, easier, effective, etc.
Jason
- JPM doesn't determine our prices, the market does -
Steel City Copper
http://www.steelcitycopper.com
SteelCityCopper
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:43 am

SteelCityCopper wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:The Faraday bags on this page for some of your electronic preps.

These have received mixed reviews. Go with a metal trash can and be done with it. Larger, cheaper, easier, effective, etc.

Thanks!
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:53 am

barrytrot wrote:Neilgen must be asleep already or he would be giving a flowery dissertation on the merits of "wood" and "protein" and he's absolutely right (ON THAT, not on everything :)

no no no.....right on everything, but since i'm on Mustique right now, the only thing i know is the when silver futures close, so i can then engage in altering my state....once must be sober during the trading day. There is no other way.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:48 am

OIL!!!!! :thumbup:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Frank t » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:57 pm

a still huh now were talking. copper and whiskey!!! win win!! going to look some up now thanks.

and maybe ill try to hold off on drunk posting. no promises though. :)
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Postby InfleXion » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:10 am

I am going to be a pain and give an unconventional answer. The best hedge against inflation is a combination of knowledge, experience, and ambitiousness. If you can continue to demand higher pay then you may beat out inflation :lol:
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:33 pm

In line with the suggestion for production I think trees are an often overlooked and prudent investment. A few good fruit/nut trees and some berry bushes. Some types can be put in for the price of the seed, or saving seed from something you know grew locally. Stone fruits are good for that (plums apricots and peaches) they will be desirable from seed. Apples and pears that wouldnt work as well, youd get better results from buying named nursery stock but it can be done. Even buying nursery stock it isnt very expensive and its dividends will last as long as you do.

I met an older guy on a forum a few months back who owned a few dozen acres. He logged out a good portion of the standing hardwoods and made some cash like that. He still has hardwoods growing for future sales, but he cleared enough room he mixed in lots of nuts and a bit of fruits. It is a few decades later now I presume because hes at the point he can sell the nuts specifically, (he put in lots more of those) and feeds hogs on the excess. He makes several thousand a year, Im not sure exact numbers but he doesnt do any of the work. Im not sure if he hires it out or just lets people collect the nuts and pay him but it doesnt HAVE to be a lot of work to have results. Then of course you get to eat them yourself, and if they HAD to be for some reason nuts can make up a large portion of a diet atleast in the short term, especially if youve got some dried fruits and berries and pine needle tea (vit c) to go with it.

Im huge tree fan. LOL Lots more you can do as well if you realy want to get into it.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rexmerdinus » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:45 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:

Brewing equipment.

+1

And ammo!
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverEye » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:30 pm

I own a little bit of everything listed already. Plus spending cash in two different banks and retirement accounts in another three different financial institutions. I don't have any funds oversees because I'm so ignorant of international finance that I consider the risk of me picking a bad non-us bank, plus transfer, exchange and acct. maintenance fees to exceed the chance that I would need to flee the US.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:31 pm

Treetop wrote:In line with the suggestion for production I think trees are an often overlooked and prudent investment. A few good fruit/nut trees and some berry bushes. Some types can be put in for the price of the seed, or saving seed from something you know grew locally. Stone fruits are good for that (plums apricots and peaches) they will be desirable from seed. Apples and pears that wouldnt work as well, youd get better results from buying named nursery stock but it can be done. Even buying nursery stock it isnt very expensive and its dividends will last as long as you do.

I met an older guy on a forum a few months back who owned a few dozen acres. He logged out a good portion of the standing hardwoods and made some cash like that. He still has hardwoods growing for future sales, but he cleared enough room he mixed in lots of nuts and a bit of fruits. It is a few decades later now I presume because hes at the point he can sell the nuts specifically, (he put in lots more of those) and feeds hogs on the excess. He makes several thousand a year, Im not sure exact numbers but he doesnt do any of the work. Im not sure if he hires it out or just lets people collect the nuts and pay him but it doesnt HAVE to be a lot of work to have results. Then of course you get to eat them yourself, and if they HAD to be for some reason nuts can make up a large portion of a diet atleast in the short term, especially if youve got some dried fruits and berries and pine needle tea (vit c) to go with it.

Im huge tree fan. LOL Lots more you can do as well if you realy want to get into it.

Hence the name, "Treetop" :lol:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:43 pm

Short term, ammo components are doing well for me. Long term....who the heck knows...I like the brewery/distillery idea....making and selling....except I think i would be like our Blue Bell ice cream commercials...We eat (drink) all we can and sell the rest.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Aqualung48 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:57 pm

Debt. It is the hedge the government uses. Borrow money worth more in spending power, and pay back the same amount of dollars, with a low interest rate, with dollars worth much less.
Aqualung48
Penny Sorter Member

Postby CDNHoard » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:45 am

I would like to second the Trees idea, I am trying to buy an acreage, or a little bigger, and put in an orchard, and some nut production. we are looking at specific cultivars that cost 7-20 dollars a tree, but will produce 100s of dollars in food each year. seems quite prudent.

Cheers
CDNHoard

Postby mbailey1234 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:31 am

Aqualung48 wrote:Debt. It is the hedge the government uses. Borrow money worth more in spending power, and pay back the same amount of dollars, with a low interest rate, with dollars worth much less.

I kind of agree with this concept. If you can lock in a low long term interest rate and put that money to work it may be a good plan. I have explored a few ideas like this but the fact is you still have property taxes, insurance, possibly payroll, etc. to deal with so low borrowing costs are just one factor in the equation. Farmland investments during the last 10 years would have been a home run. I'm not sure that is still an option as everything has gotten so crazy around here though. Might be time to buy some decent rental properties but who would know?
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:19 am

mbailey1234 wrote:
Aqualung48 wrote:Debt. It is the hedge the government uses. Borrow money worth more in spending power, and pay back the same amount of dollars, with a low interest rate, with dollars worth much less.

I kind of agree with this concept. If you can lock in a low long term interest rate and put that money to work it may be a good plan. I have explored a few ideas like this but the fact is you still have property taxes, insurance, possibly payroll, etc. to deal with so low borrowing costs are just one factor in the equation. Farmland investments during the last 10 years would have been a home run. I'm not sure that is still an option as everything has gotten so crazy around here though. Might be time to buy some decent rental properties but who would know?

I still have two credit cards with large balances... but the fixed rate is 2.99% I'm not paying them off early :shifty: My other idea for this thread is to consider what would happen if peak oil was real... cheap items made of plastic such as disposable razors, lighters, eyeglasses can be picked up very inexpensively now and could be used for barter if ever TSTF or there was a lengthy supply disruption.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals