Premium or Discount on Sterling vs. 90% ??

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Premium or Discount on Sterling vs. 90% ??

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:15 pm

Typically, what is the going premium or discount on scrap sterling, versus the premium or discount for really, really poor condition 90%? By really poor condition I mean slicks, holes, and bents ... the worst; sold by actual weight, not per coin.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: Premium or Discount on Sterling vs. 90% ??

Postby beauanderos » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:56 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:Typically, what is the going premium or discount on scrap sterling, versus the premium or discount for really, really poor condition 90%? By really poor condition I mean slicks, holes, and bents ... the worst; sold by actual weight, not per coin.

check out Market Harmony's site. I would think if they were both going to be smelted, the only difference would be in regard to ASW... but that's just my undeducated guess :shifty:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:57 pm

Seems strange, IC, but I normally get 92-95% for sterling. But get near melt for damaged 90%. I think It's the known, government purity vs the assumed commercial purity.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Are you looking to Sell .925 .
Just started Silversmith class an I'm looking to buy Small Amounts of Wire or Plate or Sheet. Willing to pay Close to Spot or trade, have Junk junk.

Anyone :wave: pm please :!:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:20 pm

:thumbup:
Rosco wrote:Are you looking to Sell .925 .
Just started Silversmith class an I'm looking to buy Small Amounts of Wire or Plate or Sheet. Willing to pay Close to Spot or trade, have Junk junk.

:thumbup:

WTG Rosco!
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Rosco wrote:Are you looking to Sell .925 .

No. The silversmith who helped me make my gold ring last year wants to buy forty oz of sterling. Failing that, he wants to buy thirty oz of ugly US silver coin, so he can make his own sterling by melt and adding ten oz of .999.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals